• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Distribution of estate in Scotland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distribution of estate in Scotland

Hi Im wondering if anyone can clarify this issue for me. My grandfather passed away in August, my siblings and I were named on will but according to Scots Law my father claimed his right of legal heir and claimed half the estate. My problem is this - the solicitors paid out my dads half of the estate BEFORE the six months was up and now we have claims from the tax office etc coming in not to mention the solicitors fees to be paid at completion. When we questioned this they sent us some legal speak that I cant make head or tails of. And then said that they would just claim back half of the fees from my dad (what if he's spent all the money?)
    It was my understanding that all prior claims to the estate had to be paid first and then the residue was dispensed, eg he would then get half of what was left. Is this right???
    The original paralegal is no longer working on the estate and I get the feeling that they know they've cocked up but wont admit it.
    Any ideas
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Distribution of estate in Scotland

Originally posted by Dreadfulfaery View Post
    The original paralegal is no longer working on the estate and I get the feeling that they know they've cocked up but wont admit it.
    Evidently.

As HMRC are involved, you would be wise to seek professional legal advice.

Comment

It does appear they have cocked-up & are trying to hide the fact I should report them. Who is or are the Trustees.

Comment

Thanks for replying but am I right??? Should all prior claims have to be settled before they paid out to my dad??

Righty - what do you mean by trustees?? The solicitors and my mum are the co-executors of the estate but they have never asked her permission to do anything, they just did it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X