• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Damage to a hired vehicle with existing damage.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage to a hired vehicle with existing damage.

I hired a van which was already scratched when I collected it.

The paperwork shows scratches before I drove off.

I added a scratch to the wheel arch area and fessed-up when I returned the van.

They want me to pay for the repair, I have refused.

They have said pay half, I refused.

They have not repaired the van so have lost nothing financially at any rate.

I intend to defend in small claims court.

Does anyone have any case law regarding

1. existing damage

2. claims where there has been no financial loss (this might be a penalty clause case but I doubt it).

I expect that they will get most of the van repaired before they sell it ('defleet') later this year.

Thanks for reading.
    Tags: None

Re: Damage to a hired vehicle with existing damage.

It's a typical hire company scam.

I assume from what you say that they have issued a Claim against you. Write, inviting them to submit a full damage report and detailed quotation for repair. Make it clear that they must separately list damage caused by you.

If they refuse, they will appear unreasonable (expecting you to simply pay whatever they say, without evidence), and their evidence will be tainted.

Did you take any photographs at the time? If so, these would be useful. If not, you could still get a rough written estimate from a local repair shop. Hopefully, that will show their pricing to be well over the odds.

Comment

No claim issued yet. Their debt collectors sent me a letter I replied denying the debt in total.

To clarify, the wheel arch and and much of the surrounding panel was scratched, but yes I made it worse.

Estimate is five hours labour and £112 for paint - seem like a lot to me.

A local shop said to repair whole wheel arch and panel was about £250.

I have photos of the existing damage. Looks like there were two separate accidents before I hired.

I really need to check case law. I wonder if Chitty has anything.

I made a without prejudice offer of £70 which they have rejected.

I have told them I am prepared to undergo mediation as part of county court ADR.

Comment

Who are the DCA's?
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
          Who are the DCA's?

As I have denied the debt they cannot contact me again so that is not really relevant, they have a licence, i checked.

Comment

Originally posted by EDW View Post
            As I have denied the debt they cannot contact me again so that is not really relevant, they have a licence, i checked.
            Oh they will, they will ...

Comment

I agree with enquirer, they will, most DCA's are full of BS. Do not be fooled by their lies.

It was relevant as some send more BS than others. If you would rather not post the DCA's name on the thread then please PM it to me.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I have emailed the DCA and denied the debt.

I really need help with case law, I had better hit lexus.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X