• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Accused of defamation after exposing investment scam on blog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accused of defamation after exposing investment scam on blog

Hello, we are a group of more than 800 people involved in two seperate ponzi type schemes started by the same people.
    For two years we have been fighting to get our monies paid back, for many this amounts to thousands of pounds. In our case £30k.
    The instigators of the two scams (who were linked to other people, one now in jail, a second,who got investors in, is due to go bankrupt this month) have been investigated first by the fraud sqaud in London, which was then bumped up to the serious fraud squad and is still an ongoing investigation due to the massive sums involved. They are also going down a bankruptcy route, whilst still trying to get more investors in. Some people are in legal battles with the scheme operators.I called this a scam, and they object to that term.
    I recently reported on our own blog (published February 2014) about this scheme and how we were also duped. We, and other investors, have been sent threatening letters re defamation and injuctions if we dont remove our content.
    Some of the things we are accused of in the letter are untrue.We have had hundreds of emails back and forth with promises of payment which never arrive.
    We have signed docs stating the money we paid in. We checked with the fraud squad prior to posting content. I believe everything I have written to be a true representaion.

More investors have come forward since the posting stating the same-still awaiting cash years after promises made of payment.Whilst I would be happy to adjust some content that they may consider to be defamatory, I believe it is in the public interest to have the information out in public.
    Another web site calling the scheme owners a scam, and videos from other investors stating similar are still online and free to view. The lawyers are expecting me to be able to delete all information across the web, which is impossible as I dont own those sites.
    Where would I stand legally? Do I have to answer their letters-they have only given 2 days as a reply timeframe, which surely cannot be enough.

Re: Accused of defamation after exposing investment scam on blog

Two days suggests bluster. Based on the information that you have given, you might care to consider a response (assuming that you respond at all, of course), along the lines of "Go ahead, make my day".

Brief overview:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation_Act_2013

The law itself:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...ntents/enacted

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
      Two days suggests bluster. Based on the information that you have given, you might care to consider a response (assuming that you respond at all, of course), along the lines of "Go ahead, make my day".

Brief overview:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation_Act_2013

The law itself:
      http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...ntents/enacted

I have read the various defamation law rules etc ( prior to posting) so I have a good idea of the law, even though it seems rather wooly!
      My own view is that if they were serious they would have given at least 14 days for a reply. They tried to chase via letter, now email. I am inclined to ignore it until (or if) something more serious arrives. Our web site is not listed at our home address, so they have no proof that it is me or where I live yet.

Comment

If you truly believe that what you are saying is true and you have the evidence to support your claims then I would invite them to take you to court.

I was threatened by a firm of solicitors with being sued for defamation that could cause them a loss of business and if I continued they would take me to court and sue me for their losses. After inviting them to take me to court they wrote back and said they would only take me to court "if they chose to do so"!

I have continued to accuse them of doing something they shouldn't have done and I'm still waiting for them to issue proceedings...............

Comment

It's designed to panic you. If they are trying to keep the scam going until the last minute, they won't appreciate a website exposing them.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
            It's designed to panic you. If they are trying to keep the scam going until the last minute, they won't appreciate a website exposing them.
            Thanks,yes,I feel they are trying to panic me. Its the words 'scam + names involved' they seem to object to :tinysmile_twink_t2:

I can prove the fraud squad involvement, emails back and forth, monies put into the fund, the fact that they are attempting bankruptcy and their other connections who are already going down the drain to jail/ and or bankruptcy. The FCA are also investigating them.

Im sure I have a strong enough case. Im inclined not to answer them, let them prove who I ma first, as by replying I give them proof it is me.

Comment

refer them to the answer in Arkell versus Pressdram

Comment

You will no doubt be aware that the Defamation Act came into being in January.

These 'scammers' would need to prove financial loss directly caused by your comments ahead of issuing any Defamation claim.

I think they are merely trying to scare you. We get threats like this reasonably regularly. You may enjoy reading about how we dealt with the last serious one (which occurred before the new Defamation Act came into effect)
                http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...r-Court-defeat
                Well done to you for broadcasting this scam, may your good work continue x
                "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thanks so much everyone for your words of support. It is hard knowing what to do, as I dont want to put my business at risk. However, I am good at getting stuff all over the internet. The blog made it to page 1 of Google in 1 day :tinysmile_twink_t2: and lots of folks are now talking about it, so even if I have to take it down, its done its job.
                  We have exposed other scams and they tried the same trick. Last time I just amended the blog page, then the law took over anyway.
                  Will wait and see if they make another move.
                  The guys who set up the scam tried to negotiate with another investor who owns the other scam exposing web site. Said they would pay him his money back if he took it down. They didn't. So he put it back online.Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by robin.w View Post
                    The guys who set up the scam tried to negotiate with another investor who owns the other scam exposing web site. Said they would pay him his money back if he took it down. They didn't. So he put it back online.Ha!
                    Hopefully with their correspondence as an added extra!

Comment

For defamation there are also now regulations for websites http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2013/9780111104620

Comment

Even though we are right, and we have given our server hosts defamation law proving it, they are insisting we take the content down by the end of today.
                        Is there anything else we can do to stop it? I feel this is very unfair, as the lawyers are just being bullies.
                        Robin

Comment

Move it to another website/blog

Can you send me a link before it disappears
                          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Can post it here on LB, if you can provide the site team evidence to support what you claim on the blog etc.
                            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Hi, the web hosts gave us no option but to 'remove it from public view' -even though they are not liable in any way! However, he did give me some good advice:
                              1. we can move the post on our blog to 'private' status with a registration link to view it, and they are OK with that as it is no longer 'public'.
                              2. we can move servers to somewhere like Holland, where free speech actually means that, and they are inclined to tell abuse complaints/defamation threats to naff off unless they have a court order or other legal entity in place which proves what they claim is defamation- as per the law.
                              We are taking option one as a temporary work around, with option two to be sorted for a long term fix so our content can still appear on the top of search engines etc and be directly clickable.
                              The proof we have is in the format of email, documents and serious fraud office conformation, court proceedings of bankruptcy etc, possibly rather difficult to post all that here!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X