• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell & b carter court claim ; statute barred debt : Writing defence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell & b carter court claim ; statute barred debt : Writing defence

Bryan Carter is Claim through Northampton CCBC for Lowell.

I have just one day to write and submit my defence to MCOL online. I don't want to repeat what I have read on here. Clearly the debt is :
    under £800; &
    2. a credit card a/c with HBOS but last payment was in 2007...CLEARLY no other contact since
    Stutute Barred

Claim form says:
    1)THIS CLAIM IS FOR £xxx.xx THE AMOUNT DUE UNDER AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE ORIGINAL CREDITOR AND THE DEFENDANT TO PROVI

2)THIS DEBT WAS ASSIGNED TO/PURCHASED BY Lowell ON xx/xx/2012 AND NOTICE SERVED PURSUANT TO THE LAW OF PROPERTY ACT 1925
    (*no notice served to me...I moved house 5yrs ago)

3) PARTICULARS
    RE: HBOS PLC
    A/C NO.............XXXXX

4) AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS £ XXX

5) THE CLAIMAMNT ALSO CLAIMS INTEREST PURSUANT TO S69 COUNTY COURT ACT 1984 FROM ---DATE-----DATE AT 8% P.A AMOUNTING TO £XXX.00

Now my question is how do I defend THIS COURT CLAIM (
    note the facts *)
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell & b carter court claim ; statute barred debt : Writing defence

What date is the issue date and when did you received the claim ?

Have you sent a CCA request for the original agreement.

If you believe no contact in over 6 years then you should simply enter a statute barred defence.

Something along the lines of

The debt is time barred under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 in that the last payment or acknowledgement of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. The claim is denied.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply.
      Issue Date 5th Feb 2014. Received about 10th Feb.
      Acknowledged service online and on time and Now have to defend by tomorrow.
      I only sent Prove andCPR 31.14 Requests to both Lowell and B Carter. Acknowledge online. B Carter wrote back that was waiting for mor instructions from Lowell. I knew he was tricking me to miss the deadline so I ignored them( Lowell and Cater) and acknowledge the service online.

My draft is like this

Claim number: XXXXXXXX

Claimant: LOWELL PORTFOLIO I LTD, RE: LOWELL FINANCIAL LIMITED

Defendant: XXXX XX
      1. The Defendant has not acknowledged the debt in writing in the last six (6) years.

2. The Defendant has not paid any part of this debts in the last six (6) years.

3. The Defendant has reminded the Claimant that the debt has become BARRED and in accordance to THE LIMITATION ACT 1980 (SECTION 5), THE CLAIMANT AGGRESSSIVE RECOVERY IS LEGALLY BARRED.

4. The Defendant has asked the Claimant to prove OTHERWISE TO Paragraph 1 & 2 BUT THE CLAIMANT HAVE FAILED TO COMPLY.

5. ACCORDINGLY THE Defendant seeks the Claimants claim to be dismissed by the court as the debt is a statute-barred under the Limitations Act 1980, Section 5.

Statement of Truth

I, XXXXXX XXXXXX, the Defendant, believe that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed …………………………………………

Dated ....... 2014

Comment

Okay taken off the aggressive bit

Claim number: XXXXXXXX

Claimant: LOWELL PORTFOLIO I LTD, RE: LOWELL FINANCIAL LIMITED

Defendant: XXXX XX

1. The Defendant has not acknowledged the debt in writing in the last six (6) years.

2. The Defendant has not paid any part of this debts in the last six (6) years.

3. The Defendant has reminded the Claimant that the debt has become statute barred in accordance with THE LIMITATION ACT 1980 (SECTION 5)

4. The Defendant has requested copies of documents (agreement, default notice, assignment) mentioned in the particulars of claim in accordance with CPR 31.14 but the claimant has failed to comply with this request.

5. ACCORDINGLY THE Defendant seeks the Claimants claim to be dismissed by the court as the debt is a statute-barred under the Limitations Act 1980, Section 5.

Statement of Truth

I, XXXXXX XXXXXX, the Defendant, believe that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed …………………………………………

Dated ....... 2014

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Thanks to all - But pls I need more help with this defence format
          Is the draft above ok?
          any suggestion would be appreciated.
          It's clearly a statute barred ...so I want to keep it short /brief

Comment

It is fine if you are entering it through the Moneyclaimonline system you'll just need this bit as the statement of truth etc are on the system. If you're doing it on paper shout and I'll give you a template.

2. The Defendant has not paid any part of this debt in the last six (6) years.

3. The Defendant has reminded the Claimant that the debt has become statute barred in accordance with THE LIMITATION ACT 1980 (SECTION 5) (poss add in here how you reminded them, by letter dated XX/XX/XXXX or similar)

4. The Defendant has requested copies of documents (agreement, default notice, assignment) mentioned in the particulars of claim in accordance with CPR 31.14 but the claimant has failed to comply with this request.

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

Could you send me a template for paper? would the posts above work for me regarding a similar matter that I want to write my defense for a statute barred debt that I have.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky1987 View Post
                  Hi Amethyst,

Could you send me a template for paper? would the posts above work for me regarding a similar matter that I want to write my defense for a statute barred debt that I have.
                  I'm on this on OP's own thread.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X