• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marsden Group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marsden Group

Yesterday at about 8.45 am I got a knock on the door from aman (I use the word man loosely) saying he was from Marsden and was here toexecute a warrant on behalf of the “criminal courts” for our local council for thesum of £485 and to seize goods to that value.

I invited him in not having a clue what he was talkingabout, he then said I had been fined £185, when I asked what for, he didn’t havea clue, he then made some phone calls and said I had not completed a form forchange of circumstances, when I asked what change of circumstances he said ourcouncil had sent me a form about my earnings and I had failed to return itresulting in them applying to the court and I had committed a criminal offenceand now with costs added had to pay £485. Digging further with him, I then found out it was for council tax atthat point I got out my receipts and showed him that my council tax for2012/2013 were paid in full on receipt of both bills. He said he wasn’t interested and that I shouldhave completed the form, still not understanding why I should have completed aform when I had nothing to declare or issues paying my tax I questioned himmore and it was at this point he turned very nasty and aggressive. My 7 month pregnant daughter was sat eatingbreakfast and asked him to stop shouting and he continued to say he was goingto empty the house unless I paid him. Mydaughter burst into tears and that’s when he really stepped up the abuse saying“you think you have got shit now, you have seen nothing yet”. He then said there is a wagon on the way fromManchester right now to empty your house and started waving a wedge of papersabout saying the white ones are for money I have collected and the one and onlyyellow slip is for a house that I empted, so you can tell I always get mymoney.

He then said I’m going to sit outside in my van now and youhave half an hour to get me £485. Whenhe had gone I phoned my son who promptly came over and asked him what was goingon, the bailiff told him to “F off” atthat point my son said you try and enter my mum’s house and abuse her or mysister like that again and “I will drop you and that’s a promise” he then gotout of the car and started ranting on about my son being unemployed and a thugand it’s no wonder he doesn’t have a job at that point my son went to his carand produced his badge showing that he’s a doorman and does have a job andworks full time and just happened to be on nights so was at home when Icalled. The guy got straight back in hisvan and locked the doors and put the window down just enough to say he wasphoning the police as we had threatened him.

We went back in the house and he put a card through the doorsaying we had refused him entry so therefore a locksmith would be coming and hewould be back to empty my house. Heshouted that the police were coming down the hill now and they would help himget in. At this point I went back outand said you were not refused entry you got angry and abusive when I questionedyou and you thought I it was two women on their own so using bully boy tacticswould make me pay this ridiculous fine. At this point he said you have 24 hours to pay or I will be back and Iwant payment in full. Really don’t knowwhat to do, this is crazy, have never had anything like it in my life. Needless to say when I phoned the police theyhad no record of any call from him, have tried ringing Marsden and they kepttrying to put my call through to the thug that had abused us and they werereally not interested.
    Tags: None

Re: Marsden Group

If it is council tax, he has ni right of entry, had you had a court summons for an overpayment of benefit? Marstons will often confuse their powers when dealing wil council tax compared to magistrates, as their powers are limited more for council tax, with no right of entry locksmiths police etc, what council is this? The others will no doubt be along soon to help, but in the meanntime pjhone the council and ask them what is going on.

This bailiff has seriouslty overstepped the mark as he distressed a third party who was present and pregnant.

If you were not claiming any council tax relief, then you had no need to fill in any forms regarding employment, and this council need a kicking from the Ombudsman,

If the bailiff returns film him with a mobile phone even through the letterbox to capture his threats.

I will pm the folks to look in on this for you.

Comment

It sounds very much to me that this idiot has either got the wrong person, wrong address or both. Or, alternatively, the council has cocked-up big-time.

As Bizzybob has said, this bailiff has seriously overstepped the mark and I would go as far as to say that he is about to lose his certificate - if he has one. If he doesn't and is a "trainee", his chances of getting one now are remote.

He has -

a. gained irregular entry by deceitful means;
      b. misrepresented his powers; and
      c. made unwarranted demands and used improper threats as a means of enforcing them.

The fact that the police have confirmed they have no record of him ringing them just goes to prove this bailiff, if you can call them that, is not fit to act as a bailiff. Be in no doubt, he is in serious trouble.

Contact the council straight away and find out what is happening, then ring the police and register a formal complaint against Marston Group. This bailiff, it would appear, has not provided any proof he has lawful authority to act or to be at your home address.

There is an offence under the Criminal Law called Burglary Artifice; you may know it by its more common name of Distraction Burglary. Until you have proof to the contrary, I would treat this incident as an attempted offence of Distraction Burglary.

I also note that you son offered to "drop" the bailiff if they returned. As I am sure you son will be aware, as a doorman, only reasonable force may be used to remove someone from premises. I would implore him to bear this in mind and not put his SIA licence and job in jeopardy because of some idiot who is nothing more than a bully.
      Last edited by bluebottle; 27th February 2014, 10:22:AM.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Tracy,

Which part of the country is this in, please? The bailiff's modus operandi seems very familiar to me. I am minded to provide you with the email address of Marston Group's CEO Gareth Hughes.

Comment

Has he shown you or left you any paperwork?

Comment

Waiting for the OP to get back, PT. My view is that this bailiff is not only going to get put flat on his backside by the OP's son, but is an inveterate liar and, I wouldn't mind betting, was acting without lawful authority. If the local authority confirm no LO against the OP, the proverbial will hit the air conditioning big-time.

Comment

I have been pointed to this thread and I find it difficult to fathom!

Lets start from the beginning.......Hello TracyC and welcome to the forum, bit of advise from the Hitchiker's guide to the Galaxy...Don't Panic!

Has this less than sub-human element left you any Paperwork?

If yes can you please tell us if it relates to a Distress Warrant, a Liability Order or a Warrant of Execution?

The reason I am asking is that he, minus quam merdam consideratum, said that you did not pay £185 for he did not know but now the bill was £485, and that he was going to call a locksmith, a bailiff can only usr the threat of a locksmith for Distress Warrants, if it's something else he is really in need of a snorkel.

This would indicate to me a Distress Warrant, but then the hijo de putana mentioned Council....this is what confuses me.

If the goon works for Marston he should have had a body-cam on and recorded the conversation, which is good news for you because firstly he should have neer have raised his voice, secondly, if there was a third party in the room he should have asked you if it was OK to speak in front of them, and thirdly if he noticed a slightly pregnat lady present, he should have really not done either of the prementioned.

Bytheway....tracy....when you respond can you make the paragraph shorter, take your time and start frm the beginning....i.e.
              1. Did you receive any summons
              2. Did you receive a letter from Marstons
              3. What is this guy really saying
              4. was the Police involved

Thank you

I am really, really, really taken aback!
              Last edited by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge; 27th February 2014, 16:16:PM. Reason: left something important out
              The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post

As Bizzybob has said, this bailiff has seriously overstepped the mark and I would go as far as to say that he is about to lose his certificate - if he has one. If he doesn't and is a "trainee", his chances of getting one now are remote.

He has -

a. gained irregular entry by deceitful means;

The fact that the police have confirmed they have no record of him ringing them just goes to prove this bailiff, if you can call them that, is not fit to act as a bailiff. Be in no doubt, he is in serious trouble.

Contact the council straight away and find out what is happening, then ring the police and register a formal complaint against Marston Group.
                Bluebottle.

I have just read the post by Tracyc and I am a little worried at your comments above.

Tracyc stated that she had a knock at the door yesterday from a bailiff and that he stated that he 'was here to execute a warrant on behalf of the 'criminal courts' for £485".

Tracy then states that she 'invited him in'. It is clear therefore that the bailiff did not gain entry by 'deceitful or irregular means'. In fact, even if the debt were for council tax the bailiff the Liability Order would have been authorised in the Magistrate Court which in effect is a 'criminal court'.

Also, it is not right to say that you think that the bailiff is about to 'lose his certificate'. A certificate may only be 'lost' if a Form 4 Complaint is made to the County Court and the court find in favour of the Claimant (which sadly is not very often).

Also, at this present time there is no point in making a formal complaint about the bailiff company to the POLICE.

Getting back to the question, what appears to be the case is that Tracy has had a Magistrate Court FINE imposed against her (and this would explain why the debt was £185 and the amount required to clear the debt is £485 (£300 fees).

What Tracy needs to do now is to make enquiries about the debt (and if I am correct that it is a court FINE) then it is a very simple matter for Tracy to apply to the Magistrates Court to be allowed to file a Statutory Declaration (always assuming of course that she had ever received a summons etc).

At the moment she needs to make enquiries to sort this out and those enquiries should not include making a Form 4 Complaint or making a complaint to the Police.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X