• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unemployment, Living on Benefits & Section21 notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unemployment, Living on Benefits & Section21 notice

Originally posted by QueenAnne View Post
    The endoscopy were done "at home" - sounds like I'm coming from the middle ages. But yea they don't sedate in my home country (they didn't 5 yrs ago when I last had this.) They just shove down your throat, that's exactly the correct way to put it. they tell you to lay down on your side, open your mouth, take a deep breath - and they push it down your throat. And breathe deeply through your nose if you can, try staying calm. When I was 17 I had a 24hr PH detector down in my stomach. It's a much smaller tube (like the cable of a headset) but not so flexible. They push it down through the nose, you have to take a deep breath, they push it in, when it's on your throat you have to swallow it (it'll be about the fifth time when you succeed, before that it's just struggle, take out, push in, take out...) and then once it's down they tape it to your face so it doesn't move. You feel it when you swallow but once it's down it doesn't hurt much anymore. You have a little bag it's connected to and have to carry that around. They did this cos I didn't have HP but I had ulcer and they wanted to know why I have so much acid causing the ulcer. (I had no issues with ulcer for about 5 yrs by now, thank goodness so I consider that at least to be behind me.)
    That's also why I had plenty of endoscopy (thanks for reminding me of the name) and I was always found HP free, they took biopsies and could never found it. Now I am really thankful for that, reading your post. It sounds like you were mistreated for really long time. I hope you got some compensation because it sounds like your whole life got seriously damaged. I hope your hospital visit went well! As much as it can.
    Good heavens! Which country were you in when they did the endoscopy examination? There is a condition called Gastritis which is, basically, an inflammation of the lining of the stomach. It can be caused by a number of things. If the hydrochloric acid in your stomach is too concentrated, it can cause Gastritis as well as burn a hole in your stomach or duodenal wall. When they did the endoscopy on me, they found a hiatus hernia, streaking on the inside of my stomach (gastritis and acid burn), plus the duodenal ulcer. Unfortunately, some conditions mimic or have similar symptoms to a number of conditions, so it is not easy to pin an illness down. Also, I have multiple food intolerances, mainly, foods containing histamine. I am currently trialling a non-prescription med, courtesy of Allergy UK, to counteract the intolerance. The acupuncture went well and, for 40 minutes, I resembled a human dartboard. However, in my case, I get four days relief from pain, as I am intolerant to opiates and anti-inflammatory drugs.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I have severe stomach/ colon problems it took about 7 years and a lot of tests to diagnose them doctors tend to look at each problem in turn.
      Please be assured that the NHS is different from the Health service in the Country you were in despite stories to the contrary to this its very good and although slow at times its there for all of us

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        I have severe stomach/ colon problems it took about 7 years and a lot of tests to diagnose them doctors tend to look at each problem in turn.
        Please be assured that the NHS is different from the Health service in the Country you were in despite stories to the contrary to this its very good and although slow at times its there for all of us
        I endorse what you say, Wales. If it hadn't been for the NHS in November 2012, I wouldn't be here now. I will always be thankful for the care they gave me and the dedication and skills of those who work within it. If ever there was anything worth fighting for, it has to be the NHS.

Comment

I agree with both of you re the NHS - I went half deaf last winter (employer heating issue!) and they treated me exceptionally, I had health insurance but didn't even think of using it cos really, they were great just when I walked into emergency, without any of the extra hoopla. "At home" it'd be like crap without the extra hoopla of a fat insurance.
          I'll check with the GP re my belly issues and intolerance. Let's hope she doesn't order me onto gluten, and there's some other way than just swallowing tubes...

Now,

BUMP

I'd really like to see if there's anything more to be done re my debt and how to manage it... Although I have a separate thread for the QuickQuid nonsense I'm dealing with, I'd just would like to make sure I did everything I need to / can...
          Today my rent was due and I feel horrible about it... My LL is really great, does all repairs immediately regardless of what they cost, and never asks me anything that's not appropriate, apologises if the post comes to my address... I feel extremely bad about being in arrears cos they pay mortgage of their house from my rent... meaning also that they won't wait long before acting as they need this income. Any advice? I know rent has to wait but at least the rest, if I could get into some agreement (some token payment agreement) then I could pay more into rent, even from JSA - maybe.

Comment

Hold on.. If you are on JSA, that is deemed a "Gateway" benefit. Check with you local council to see if you qualify for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support. Also, if you go to the Main Forum page, you will see a logo for Stepchange on the right hand side. Stepchange is a debt counselling charity who may be able to help you with managing your various debts. Click on the logo.

As regards the belly problems, your GP may refer you to the Immunology and/or Gastro-Enterology Departments at your local hospital.

Comment

I get both of that - hb is £88/week - laughable it comes to about 50-60% of what a room costs in a shared house in the inner part of my borough where I'm at! Eg it's not right IMO but I checked the website says this is my entitlement. My rent is £1150, so the council website says I must come up with £170 on my own....
              I got CT reduction already, so it's £35/month... Don't ask me how if it's less than £3/week but that's the bill. (Had no arrears before becoming unemployed.)

Comment

Can I ask where you live and what are you renting for £1150 a month in Oxfordshire 4 bed detached can be rented for 1200 a month without upsetting you, you need to get advice on your debts and income and outgoings very quickly The stress of this cannot be good for your health

Comment

Queen Anne

Just my brief thoughts to try stop you chasing your tail.

You have to prioritise your debts and bills, obviously ensuring you can eat as well.

1: Rent - you're on assured tenancy, don't let that get cocked up as if your credit file is going downhill it would be harder to get a new tenancy elsewhere, and sounds like you have a nice LL. YOU NEED to call them though to discuss your temporary blip on the rent and this section21 notice to ensure it is withdrawn, and check your tenancy is valid. Obviously you could relocate somewhere less expensive where your HB will cover rent, but as a single person you'd only be entitled to HB for one bed so anything larger you'd have to make up the difference. Presumably you're in London ? and you're getting £980 a month Housing Benefit.

2: Council Tax
                  3: Water / Gas / Electric

Once those are paid you can sort

Ongoing costs

These are basically communication costs. Check to see if you can get a cheaper deal for TV/Phone/Broadband. Get a PAYG mobile. If you're tied into a contract then bin it and add it to unsecured lending list below.

1 Sky £55 / month
                  2 Three mobile

THEN....

Unsecured lending

Can you put approx balances on these up. Basically on JSA these come last on the priorities. You'll be fighting yourself silly trying to keep up with payments and your credit file is already quite knacked up from QQ (you have defaulted so you'll have that staying on the file so may as well ditch all these at the same time - I'd recommend a DMP through CCCS or CAB to get interest and charges frozen, the accounts closed off, and affordable monthly payments - once you are back on your feet you can pay them off quicker and the defaults will all fall off about the same time in 6 years - trying to doit yourself is okay but they listen more when it comes from a formal debt charity.

1 HSBC
                  2 QuickQuid
                  3 Aqua - CC -
                  4 Capital One - CC
                  5 Barclaycard

They can take you to court, but really what can they do, you don't own a property so all they can do is send mean letters and phone you, and you can tell them not to with a formal harrassment letter if they did.

So redo your IE sheet with all that in mind and see if you can make it work.
                  Last edited by Amethyst; 1st March 2014, 09:32:AM.
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                    Can I ask where you live and what are you renting for £1150 a month in Oxfordshire 4 bed detached can be rented for 1200 a month without upsetting you, you need to get advice on your debts and income and outgoings very quickly The stress of this cannot be good for your health
                    London Inner Lewisham ground floor apartment.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      1: Rent - Obviously you could relocate somewhere less expensive where your HB will cover rent, but as a single person you'd only be entitled to HB for one bed so anything larger you'd have to make up the difference. Presumably you're in London ? and you're getting £980 a month Housing Benefit.
                      I'm not getting £980 per month HB. Under 34 yrs I am affected by the cut.
                      I'm getting £88/week so it does not cover for a small room in London - in my area it's maybe half of a room's cost which IMO is laughable. I get £352 (OK for a smaller room this may be up to 65%, if it's a crap place then mabe 70%)
                      £71.70 does not cover the commute if I move out further (I'm zone 2/3 - I can walk to DLR in zone 2)

2: Council Tax
                      3: Water / Gas / Electric
                      CT is £35 which I pay off on 6 March, the rest goes from the Fuel Direct which I've been told will handle without debt collection or default or anything until I get to work...

These are basically communication costs. Check to see if you can get a cheaper deal for TV/Phone/Broadband. Get a PAYG mobile. If you're tied into a contract then bin it and add it to unsecured lending list below.

1 Sky £55 / month
                      2 Three mobile
                      I may come across stupid but, PAYG = Pay as you go? That's something I haven't thought of and now I feel like an idiot Tho my phone is an iphone5 how much is the sim for that I'll have to check, to see if it's worth. (Cos now I have like 6 hrs free talk and 3000 texts free, I use the texts to keep in touch. though that might be around 50 msgs / month)
                      BTW there's almost no mobile signal in my home so can't use it for internet. I would need internet for the applying to jobs - I need to continue apply to continue receiving my JSA... This is why I maintain the internet cos I'm not exactly the TV-watcher type.

Can you put approx balances on these up. Basically on JSA these come last on the priorities. You'll be fighting yourself silly trying to keep up with payments and your credit file is already quite knacked up from QQ (you have defaulted so you'll have that staying on the file so may as well ditch all these at the same time - I'd recommend a DMP through CCCS or CAB to get interest and charges frozen, the accounts closed off, and affordable monthly payments - once you are back on your feet you can pay them off quicker and the defaults will all fall off about the same time in 6 years - trying to doit yourself is okay but they listen more when it comes from a formal debt charity.

1 HSBC
                      2 QuickQuid
                      3 Aqua - CC -
                      4 Capital One - CC
                      5 Barclaycard

They can take you to court, but really what can they do, you don't own a property so all they can do is send mean letters and phone you, and you can tell them not to with a formal harrassment letter if they did.

So redo your IE sheet with all that in mind and see if you can make it work.
                      With a CCJ I can't get employed in my profession - meaning I'm screwed for life. I have to think about that, somehow I cannot accept that I have to throw a decade of career out the window - so far I have the chance to pass the SC I need, but even if I am employed elsewhere they run the checks - that's my profession I work in banking / finance / IT. I don't know anything else, without my experience if I cannot use it I am less than a cleaner - because cleaners also have experience. I don't have anything else. So no one can take me to court I cannot let it get that far.

That said;
                      1 HSBC ---- approx £1150 - but they're just wiping off all lateness (cos I haven't got their final response and didn't react, they resend after I contacted them, they refunded the charges since, and they amend the credit file.)
                      2 QuickQuid ---- useless idiots. £1060 according to the latest moron emailing me. Can they default 3x for the same debt? I thought that's illegal. They log it once and that's it, but log it on a monthly basis?
                      3 Aqua - CC ---- £1400+ about £120 charges - I have an agreement that I only pay them £5/month. I need to call them if my situation gets worse, and they'll default the account when the time comes for it if it gets that far. Done the I&E form with them this is the result.
                      4 Capital One - CC ---- £200 - They refunded me all charges a couple days ago and are sending the I&E form. They also will look for a payment in the excess of £2/month for five months. During these five months if something happens (better or worse) I need to get in touch. They won't default the account during this time.
                      5 Barclaycard - CC ---- £400 - ATM they post the I&E and they'll look into reaching agreement. They offered and put the acc on hold throughout my ordeal, every time I called them (monthly) they put the acc on hold for me.
                      6. WageDay Advance ---- £450 - Your list didn't have it, I emailed them the requested documents (my JSA letter) today, according to them they drop all charges they had so this is the amount. Next will be to agree with them.

I'll definitely attend to these last... if I can I will get into agreements, and I suppose that'd be the same with DMP, if I can't I'll just keep complaining.
                      A yr ago a "Fresh Start" almost lured me into "their version of DMP" - it was a battle to stop them form trying to debit me after they didn't even bother to disclose that the first x months (2 if I'm correct) wouldn't even go to creditors and they'd only talk to creditors after that... I promised myself I should be able to do it myself cos anyone else has no personal interest in solving things for me May sound horrible. But I grew up with having to make do alone... and "Fresh Start" kept calling me multiple times a month - even on my office landline telling me they'll indeed keep calling THAT number if I don't give them my NEW mobile number... it was so embarrassing, in an open office sharing desk and phone with the others.

Thank you so much for prioritising these for me!

Also FYI the plan is to wait until 20 march. If I have no employment or offer, I move. I have my deposit for this flat plus will have to sell my furniture which brings in an amount, and it'll cover all critical debts including both rent and utilities. It'll be enough to get over to my friend's and I'll couch surf (tho she lives an hr from London.) I thought that this might be the resolution regardless of how I don't want to lose my home, ATM it's a cost I cannot afford. It's better not to accumulate the debt. I'll leave my deposit probably to the LL (it's £1350) and it'll cover, I'll move out the end of the month. Not ideal, but I thought I have to be brave and do it if this comes to that. Then when I earn again I can rent somewhere hoping no reference from previous LL will be needed.

Comment

Like many others your problems are increasing by the day and there is little you can do with no spare money to help.
                        All these Non priority creditors need to be approached maybe with the help of others to stop any action that may affect you credit history enough to stop you getting a job in the Industry you were in
                        Paying Sky £55 a month from JSA is ridiculous as is an expensive I phone problem is how can you stop these without being penalised?.
                        May not be the best solution to couch surf but if you have friends who will support you it may be wise to take the help when things are bad we all need a partner or friends to help us through
                        Everything bad in your life has been faced by others and they as well as you can get through it but you will have to make changes and get help plenty of that on here.
                        Remember there is as I keep saying light at the end of the tunnel you WILL get there and maybe like me and no doubt many on here you can look back and smile

Comment

a question re my debts/defaults...

I paid the BT Bill via bank transfer to BT (without ever being contacted by Fredericksons, just cos I saw that on my credit file the Settled account in January, was changed to Defaulted in February...)
                          I sent message to BT online(no email address that I know of ATM so had to use the online form)

I got a letter from Bryan Carter Solicitors and they have included the 0845 (what else) number of Fredericksons.
                          I called this number, only to be told they cannot provide
                          - proof of the debt that I owe.
                          - proof that they are authorised to collect it.
                          An extremely rude lady kept saying that I have to pay off even after I told her that I paid the £96 (the bill in question) to BT. She kept repeating they will not provide me what I ask....

Edit; I got in touch with BT complaints (chatted) and they confirmed the bill is paid, gave me their email address and refused to assist further. They said they "are sorry" for the solicitor chasing. So I will email them, angrily. Also because they defaulted a 2 month arrears bill without notice and there wasn't even arrears reported on my credit report - I didn't receive the bill but if I saw arrears on my report I could've prevent the default (I have a checkmyfile account so I get my reports monthly updated from all three big CRA's)

1) Is this true that I'm not entitled to receive proof of their authority and that I still owe? (sounds BS to me)
                          2) any address where I could contact BT? I have no email addresses to any of them and call is useless plus I can't afford being on hold on 0845 numbers for hours.

Thank you!
                          Last edited by QueenAnne; 5th March 2014, 20:55:PM. Reason: Added the BT contact part

Comment

Wales01man & to everyone else as well - Thank you so much for the support!!!!!!! :hug:

Comment

BT Correspondence Centre
                              Providence Row
                              Durham
                              DH98 1BT

Also online "Contact Us"
                              https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/5642,5644

As for Fredricksons, ignore them and if they persist refer them back to BT to confirm the account is not in arrears, and that until they have you will be logging dates, times and frequency of harassment to send to the BT & the OFT
                              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I chatted with BT yesterday - useless really, "I'm really sorry" "I'm really sorry" repeatedly like a broken record, but they can't even give answers to basic questions - and this was the Complaints department. At least they confirmed the debt is paid but then again it's a chat - not a "written" form that can be saved and used - of course.

But today they reacted to my complaint from 27 feb. (ssent via the form you linked): 3 lines, of which the first is is "thank you for your email" and the whole thing is so careless the dude didn't bother to put period marks at the end of the 3 sentences... the second line is, "we haven't received a forwarding address so we couldn't send you a bill" WTF? I gave it to them and on the phone and chat they did confirm it received but as soon as it gets into writing, this comes. the third line is "we no longer amend credit files you should pick up with your provider to amend it for you" - imo that is downright stupid.

So this again unleashed me in one of my angry emails, I basically sent them the account pages from my credit report in Jan and Feb - in Jan, the account is Queried for 4 months (since I closed in August) and it's "Payment up to date." In Feb, the account is queried september-december (Aug, my last month is marked OK/paid), and January is Defaulted, the account is "In default due to non-payment". They don't report when a default gets satisfied.

The bill was issued in October btw, so the query-ing activity was not indicating anything... they were having it for 2 months by the time they issued this final bill. And, to make it hilarious, they reported my billing address it's on my January file already, which is my current address that has been claimed as unknown in the email today.

No bill sent to me, no arrears notices, no arrears on the credit file, no default notice and no debt referral notice. I suppose it's not even important anymore that I paid them via direct debit while the account was live, yet the final bill has a statement "you haven't paid your latest bill" and £38 added due to this.

I asked at this point for all account history, bills, payments and personal details to be disclosed as it seems to be a bigger slip now.

I can't care less about Fredericksons, I have proof I paid the bill so if they want court or whatever so be it. Same for this Bryan Carter Solicitors who sent me the letter that finally included a working phone number for Fredericksons... so a week after I paid, I could talk to the DCA for the first time, IMO it's so pathetic that it's laughable. Fredericksons don't harass me - they were actually unreachable not at all contacting me! I have one single letter, that's from the Bryan Carter Solicitors.

There is something else that bugs me. So when I lost my job I had an iphone contract with the iphone. Here you guys noted that this is a luxury. So what do you reckon I shall do because I have no other phone to use? No landline and no other mobile? Because I won't get a contract or a mobile without employment or a lump sum paid, neither of which I have so I'm trying to get my head around it what to do about this.

Same for Sky. I can't use my mobile for net (no signal in the house, it's on the lowest signal sign and disconnects frequently) and without net I can't meet the jobcentre requirements... since I have to do it online (the jobcentre is not nearby so if someone would suggest to go there daily to use theirs please don't: that'd mean just spending the money on commuting instead. Same for both libraries: one is next to the jobcentre and the other, the borough library even more far.)
                                Also need the net to handle all these creditors. But sky won't leave the net and disable TV (believe me I would not mind - I ban TV-watching during lent every year so there's no TV turn-on until Holy Saturday) so how would I get internet in the house? Because without employment who would contract me or start providing? I don't know of any company like that and this again puzzles me, as I couldn't come up with a solution after this was also noted here.

I am not paying these to maintain the accounts without arrears, I pay them because I need the service. If I didn't need the service I would have let them go into arrears instead of other more important stuff that's in arrears... even if I would need the service, if they wouldn't disable I'd easily go into arrears. But they disable just days into the lateness. So please don't write simply that I shouldn't pay or go for something else, but please tell me what to substitute it with exactly, if you have any ideas.... it's much appreciated!! thanks a lot
                                Last edited by QueenAnne; 6th March 2014, 21:25:PM. Reason: "the account is queried september-december (Aug, my last month is marked OK/paid)"

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X