• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unemployment, Living on Benefits & Section21 notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unemployment, Living on Benefits & Section21 notice

UPDATE

Maybe I should open a new thread for this BT issue? (let me know pls if yes)

To my rather upset response on 6th March, and chasing email on 10th March, this arrived:

Thanks for your email, which has been passed to myself at complaints, I called your mobile, I was unable to reach you and left a voice message.

I'm really sorry to hear that your complaint has not been resolved and the concerns that you have raised with your bill.

I've checked your account and I can see that a final bill was sent on the 05.10.13 for the £96.25, which has remained unpaid. You did arrange a payment via Home Banking which we received of £96.25 on the 28.02.13 however, this payment was then cancelled leaving the amount of £96.25 still outstanding from your final bill.

The last payment we received on the account was 29.08.13 which was for £55.00 on the Monthly Payment Plan option. The amount of £55.00 would have part paid the bill dated 29.08.13.I would advise you to check with your bank regards the decline of the £96.25 on the 28.02.13.

I've checked the debt agency website and the debt was transferred to them on the 04.12.2013, the bill is £96.25 however, the agency add on there own admin charges which is £24.06, bringing the total charges to £120.31.

If you wish to discus any of the above with me please call 01277326115, I will be in the office until 8pm this evening, will not be back in the office then until Tuesday 18.03.14. If I'm on a call or you get diverted to my voice mail please leave a message I will call you back.
    OK the service was cancelled on 28 August. They confirmed (verbal = useless) it'll be stopped on 7 September. The final bill was issued on 5 October, deadline for it was 12 October. It was not sent to me, follow ups were not sent, debt referral was not sent, neither a default notice.
    They did have my address - upon cancellation I gave the forwarding address on 28 Aug. They never used it it seems, in the response on 6 March they claimed I haven't shared. Not true.

This response is way too confusing. I have had Monthly Payment Plan for exactly 2 months with BT in around Jan-Feb 2013 - they say MPP fixes the amount you pay, at x amount (£55 for me at the time) but they forget to say the billing is so messed up that first month on the plan it issues a bill for 3 months and tries to collect the price of 3 months in 2 to push you into credit afterwards (similar to what TV license does on monthly payment....) claiming you paid too little before and are in arrears when in reality you are not, and it ups to £83 immediately.... from the granted fixed amount! Thus it has been cancelled straight away, with lengthy angry complaints. In Aug 2013 I must've been off that plan for long and only paying monthly usage (which was standard £55, I haven't made calls.)

What is the BT rep talking about????

The bill is paid, accounted money out to BT on 27 Feb 2014. It is not Cancelled, nor credited back to my account ever since. It's debited on the 27th to BT's acc with my account ID as Ref. During chat they confirmed it paid (was 5th March or 4th March when we chatted.) Now it's unpaid again while it's debited from me?

I am clueless as to what to do with them. Any advice?
    (Besides having sent them a response, asking for proof of debt still unpaid and sending a copy of my statement showing this being debited from me.)

PS - none can leave me voice message, the service is TURNED OFF ever since I bought my phone. I hate VM's for this exact same reason - everyone claims they left one when convenient to give this excuse.

Comment

I'm still battling with BT, and also with Wageday Advance that sent a letter they'll drop all charged (more than doubling the amount) if I send them my JSA letter but when I sent WGA became absolutely unresponsive for 6 weeks then sending me a number to call 2 days ago... I just repeated that all communication must be in writing.

I'll be homeless soon. I'm got the notice to move. If I don't move I'll get ccj and eviction - with ccj I'll never work in my field, at least not while it's recorded, so that's a complete career killer for the rest of my lifetime. But without ccj I have to move and I won't have a place to move to. I don't have anyone to host me. I'm quite devastated, as I'm an experienced manager I don't get responses from store assistant and Sainsburys and cleaner jobs and in my field the process is slow, a month ago I was up for 5 roles, 3 didn't hire (I know they didn't) one I didn't pass 2nd round and one I was in the final 2. Now I'm up for 2 roles - one in 2nd round one I'm short listed to start interviewing if client likes me.

I presume if I moved out and have no residence I'll also have no benefits anymore so no home and nothing to eat, just weeks from now. Isn't life just great.

Comment

Originally posted by QueenAnne View Post
        I'll be homeless soon. I'm got the notice to move. If I don't move I'll get ccj and eviction - with ccj I'll never work in my field, at least not while it's recorded, so that's a complete career killer for the rest of my lifetime. But without ccj I have to move and I won't have a place to move to.
        Is this for rent arrears? Can you explain why you think you'd have to move to avoid a CCJ?
        I don't have anyone to host me. I'm quite devastated, as I'm an experienced manager I don't get responses from store assistant and Sainsburys and cleaner jobs and in my field the process is slow, a month ago I was up for 5 roles, 3 didn't hire (I know they didn't) one I didn't pass 2nd round and one I was in the final 2. Now I'm up for 2 roles - one in 2nd round one I'm short listed to start interviewing if client likes me.
        You may want to look at the Shelter website, they have a wealth of resources that could help you, and you could also ring their helpline.
        http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...rthold_tenants
        http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness

In particular, see the bit below, it may help your situation
        http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...asked_to_leave
        Homeless if asked to leave or evicted

Find out what you can do to avoid homelessness if you've been asked to leave where you live or if you are facing eviction. Preventing eviction can help you avoid homelessness.
        Key advice

• Get advice if eviction is a threat
        • You may be able to negotiate with your landlord or mortgage lender

An adviser can help delay or prevent eviction

Every situation is different and the laws that can protect you from eviction are very complicated. It is always a good idea to get advice about your particular situation and to check whether you can stop or delay the eviction.
        A Shelter advice centre or Citizens Advice can look into all the options and check what your rights are. An adviser may be able to help you avoid becoming homeless by:
        • finding out what your rights are to remain in your home
        • negotiating with your landlord or lender to stay
        • applying for benefits to help you pay your rent or mortgage
        • negotiating an agreement to pay off arrears
        • taking action to improve the condition of your home
        • helping you find mediation services to help resolve a family or domestic dispute
        • helping find information on neighbourhood disputes.

Use Shelter's advice services directory to find an adviser near you.
        I presume if I moved out and have no residence I'll also have no benefits anymore so no home and nothing to eat, just weeks from now. Isn't life just great.
        That's not the case, you can still claim benefits even if you were homeless:
        http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...peoples_rights
        Rights to claim benefits

If you are homeless, you are still entitled to claim benefits. If you don't have a bank account, you can ask for a Simple Payment card. Your benefits will be paid straight to this card, which you then take to a PayPoint outlet displaying the Simple Payment sign (for example in newsagents, convenience stores and supermarkets) to collect your money.

Find out more about using Simple Payment to collect your benefits.
        Depending on your circumstances, you may also be able to apply for a grant or loan from your local council's social fund. Your chances of getting one will depend on your situation and the amount of money the council has in its budget.

Comment

Is this for rent arrears? Can you explain why you think you'd have to move to avoid a CCJ?
          In my profession a CCJ would mean that I won't get employed for sure. I handle millions of budgets (when I have a job...) - half of the roles require SC, the other half depends on credit reference check and other checks, 5 yrs backwards everything, education everything to the last grades, professional and personal references etc... CCJ means they term my employment as that's required by the regulations (as I understood and can simplify)
          If I don't move by notice I can be taken to court, get a CCJ for arrears and evicted as well, in the expedited process (unless I defend which I would in this case, I think having no place to go to is a defense...)

Thanks a lot for the shelter side and confirming the benefit for homeless.
          I'll negotiate with LL. Since I wouldn't have a place there must be a way.

Comment

Any updates on this?

Comment

Hi,
              Sorry for not responding timely, I was withdrawn. I am depressed and crying a lot.

I am running out of options to pay all arrears by end of the month, and I struggle not to hang myself literally. I am expecting a notice served today, paid £300 today. Theoretically I cannot get a Section8 notice (not enough arrears) - if I do I defend it/set it aside.

Job-wise, I was interviewed last week by the person who wanted to hire me half year ago to his old company (He moved to a new one that's where the interview was.) I don't think he was involved in withdrawing that offer, resulting in my unemployment. But of course he didn't put me forward. It was absolutely clear and obvious from the interview, and it was a 3rd round interview. I also got a negative response after being in the final 3 or 4 somewhere else, that I didn't get the job.
              Landlord is meeting with me today. I upset him cos I couldn't humanly get myself together to meet on Easter Monday - I was completely broken down emotionally, still am (and because last we met he told me to move out and I didn't want to meet cos I dread it, and stupid me I told him this.) Every going-out is hard, to put on that face that I'm energetic and cheerful and I'm "my usual self". And Easter would've been spent with my family visiting but of course that didn't happen, after Xmas having the same situation being by myself and I really just want to end the whole misery somehow. Can't really give more updates, sorry...

If I get a notice, I sell what I can, box what I can't - a friend will store by book collection and other small house stuff and personal items if needs be, but not furniture - and I don't know where I'll go at this point. I am hoping it'll be a Section21 out of the two notice options, so I have 2 months and I can get a job and at least rent a room somewhere, and then I could have my belongings with me as well. That's what I'm hoping for.

Haven't seen GP with my dietary needs but tbh I hardly eat anything. I have ulcer pains and nausea so won't be long until a bleeding stomach, but I can't force stuff down, I try eating soups and cook veggies, it's cheap and helpful when I manage to eat it.

Almost forgot, I have a flatmate but my contract isn't amended yet. I had to report flatmate to council and the council advised that it's likely my claim will be stopped until I provide proof of my reduced rent, e.g the contract amendment. I also thought, with that, maybe part of my deposit could be released from the scheme, it'd help keeping the arrears low if I could get part of the deposit to pay some arrears. But that also needs my contract amendment.

Comment

I am thinking of going bankrupt. It's better than CCJ's and defaults everywhere, and I could do voluntarily. Obvious I cannot pay my rent and bills.

Comment

I'm still battling with BT, and also with Wageday Advance that sent a letter they'll drop all charged (more than doubling the amount) if I send them my JSA letter but when I sent WGA became absolutely unresponsive for 6 weeks then sending me a number to call 2 days ago... I just repeated that all communication must be in writing.

I'll be homeless soon. I'm got the notice to move. If I don't move I'll get ccj and eviction - with ccj I'll never work in my field, at least not while it's recorded, so that's a complete career killer for the rest of my lifetime. But without ccj I have to move and I won't have a place to move to. I don't have anyone to host me. I'm quite devastated, as I'm an experienced manager I don't get responses from store assistant and Sainsburys and cleaner jobs and in my field the process is slow, a month ago I was up for 5 roles, 3 didn't hire (I know they didn't) one I didn't pass 2nd round and one I was in the final 2. Now I'm up for 2 roles - one in 2nd round one I'm short listed to start interviewing if client likes me.

I dont know if this helps , I live in cambridge an let rooms if you can make the rent via housing benefit we could talk .

Comment

Seduraed, you must be the kindest person on the planet. I honestly thank you for this offer.

As of now, I won't need it.
                    I've had an agreement with my landlord which allows me to stay, 2 more months are secure (saying this hoping my money gets together by wednesday... international bank transfer, it has little chance but I hope I'll be able to ask someone tomorrow for the money I miss since it's only a couple days till the transfer arrives.) And I also might have gotten a job, though it's not certain yet cos it's not signed yet, but the employer confirmed already... If everything goes well I'm out of this misery, but I'll let you know once certain

Thanks everyone for the help. You guys are fab. Seriously, everytime I came here you guys were absolutely flawlessly awesome. Thank you all :hug:

Comment

Seduraed, you must be the kindest person on the planet. I honestly thank you for this offer.

As of now, I won't need it.
                      I've had an agreement with my landlord which allows me to stay, 2 more months are secure (saying this hoping my money gets together by wednesday... international bank transfer, it has little chance but I hope I'll be able to ask someone tomorrow for the money I miss since it's only a couple days till the transfer arrives.) And I also might have gotten a job, though it's not certain yet cos it's not signed yet, but the employer confirmed already... If everything goes well I'm out of this misery, but I'll let you know once certain

Thanks everyone for the help. You guys are fab. Seriously, everytime I came here you guys were absolutely flawlessly awesome. Thank you all :hug:
                      That's excellent news! :whoo: :whoo: :whoo: Well done, you! :hug:

Hopefully now you may be reconsidering going bankrupt, it's a huge decision and not always better than CCJs and defaults. You mention above that your career prospects could be seriously damaged by a CCJ, bankruptcy could be a lot worse. There are quite a few things you CAN do with a CCJ but not whilst bankrupt. :nono: Even after discharge, the bankruptcy stays on record for 6 years and there may be times where you may have to answer a question such as "have you ever been insolvent?"

Now you are well on your way towards sorting out your employment and housing situation, you may want to tell us a bit more about your other debts when you're ready. :typing:

Comment

Queen Anne, you mentioned paying off Utility Bills (Gas/Electric), did you ever contact your supplier's Energy Trust Charity ?
                        I know most suppliers have this and they can help by paying off Utility Bills and in some cases help pay off other debts, you should contact your supplier and ask about it.
                        As an instance have a look here at the British Gas Energy Trust :: http://www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X