Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Angry Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    I'm wondering if my landlord is legally entitled to do this?
    I had a meeting with them last week and a housing officer stated that we understand your situation is this, that the other etc.

    I've not personally spoken to anyone from my housing association since about 2008 so there is absolutely no other way they could have gained this information.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    34,933
    Thanks (Given)
    6953
    Thanks (Received)
    9291
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Without knowing a little more it's impossible to say. A neighbour could have made a complaint (eg if the meeting was about damage to the property) or if your benefits entitlements have changed (due to a relationship breakdown / employment status ) then they may be aware through housing benefit changes etc etc etc. So just briefly, what was the meeting about, is the info about your situation going to affect your tenancy in a negative way ?

    IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SHARE SOMETHING, DON'T SAY IT ON THE INTERNET !!
    NEVER SEND UNREDACTED DOCUMENTS TO SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW
    DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS !!! HOWEVER PLAUSIBLE THEY MAY SOUND !!!
    Amethyst's opinions are her own. Advice is given without liability.
    I carry the dust of a journey, that cannot be shaken away, It lives deep within me, for I breathed it every day....
    www.legalbeagles.info


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    No, not claiming housing benefit, so it can't be that,
    No complaint as far as I'm aware. My neighbours are the type to complain directly to me anyway lol

    There was an issue with rent arrears for which I'd been ignoring their efforts for me to contact them for months... putting it off 'till tomorrow etc. The issue is sorted out now, so no, there is no problem with my tenancy.
    They basically knew my son was in Uni and the area I work in. Not much I know but they couldn't have got that information from anywhere else as far as I can work out.
    I'm waiting for a call back from this housing officers manager (not that she's rushing or anything!) so I guess I might find out then.

    I guess I just wanted to know if they were allowed to do it.

    Thanks for your reply

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9,114
    Thanks (Given)
    27749
    Thanks (Received)
    10161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie999 View Post
    They basically knew my son was in Uni and the area I work in. Not much I know but they couldn't have got that information from anywhere else as far as I can work out.
    How very curious.

    And what the buggery might those data have to do with your tenancy?

    I guess I just wanted to know if they were allowed to do it.
    I rather doubt that they are.

    They seem to have collected data about you that is of no possible relevance to your tenancy, which makes one wonder if the Data Protection Act 1998 or the Regulation of Investigative Powers Act 2000 (link) - or both - had been contravened.
    I am not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be a lawyer.

    For sensible legal advice http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

    For FREE legal representation, go to the National Probono Centre

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9,114
    Thanks (Given)
    27749
    Thanks (Received)
    10161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    I am not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be a lawyer.

    For sensible legal advice http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

    For FREE legal representation, go to the National Probono Centre

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Thanks for the links, I'll certainly be checking them out.

    It wasn't just the information this person had, it was her overall unprofessional conduct and scare tactics that concerns me too.

    I'm not going to say how I felt because I want an unbiased perspective.

    Bearing in mind that it was quite a stressful situation to begin with and, I'm quite a strong person, how would anyone feel if after being told they are considering forcing a sale on my home (I own 40%) she sat there staring at me right in the face for at least 30 seconds without saying anything. I kept looking away, giving a little smile hoping for a reasonable response. Nothing, just staring. WTF was that all about?!

    Thanks in advance

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,661
    Thanks (Given)
    2381
    Thanks (Received)
    11754
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Housing associations are subject to the Human Rights Act 1998 whether they like it or not. And so is this housing officer. If you own 40% of your home, why are they proposing to force a sale? They need a court order to do so and, if you'll pardon my bluntness, a bloody good reason for seeking the court order in the first place. What reason did this woman give?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9,114
    Thanks (Given)
    27749
    Thanks (Received)
    10161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie999 View Post
    Bearing in mind that it was quite a stressful situation to begin with and, I'm quite a strong person, how would anyone feel if after being told they are considering forcing a sale on my home (I own 40%) she sat there staring at me right in the face for at least 30 seconds without saying anything. I kept looking away, giving a little smile hoping for a reasonable response. Nothing, just staring. WTF was that all about?!
    Intimidation.
    I am not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be a lawyer.

    For sensible legal advice http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

    For FREE legal representation, go to the National Probono Centre

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,661
    Thanks (Given)
    2381
    Thanks (Received)
    11754
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Intimidation.
    It could also be harassment under the PfHA. If this woman has done what she has on at least two occasions, Suzie has grounds to have a Cease and Desist Notice served on the housing association's CEO whom, I have no doubt, will be delighted that one of his housing officers has exposed the housing association to potential litigation. There is also the Housing Ombudsman who could be contacted for assistance.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Thanks for that Bluebottle,

    Basically I owe them rent and refused to get in touch for months. Wrong I know and they were right to want a meeting to sort it out but it's the tactics this woman used that concerns me.

    I'm guessing that all they need to do is deal with facts and proper processes, not try to delve in to my personal life, trying to get me to talk about things I find highly traumatic. This went on for an hour, when all I really needed to do was fill in a direct debit form.

    I know people have bigger problems than this here but imagine if I wasn't quite as strong? I'd be wearing a frigging tinfoil hat by now, that's what!

    Oh well, by the time I've finished, she'll be treating people properly

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Intimidation.
    Precisely what I thought. Just checking I wasn't being over sensitive

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,661
    Thanks (Given)
    2381
    Thanks (Received)
    11754
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    If you have a Law Centre in your local area, you might be able to ask them to write a strongly-worded letter to the CEO of your housing association about the behaviour of this housing officer. There is no excuse for it.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,192
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    5079
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Are you or your son on Facebook you may like many others have put things on there if your son is at Uni he may have stated that on facebook its actually quite easy to find out about people

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,701
    Thanks (Given)
    32
    Thanks (Received)
    2073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie999 View Post
    I had a meeting with them last week and a housing officer stated that we understand your situation is this, that the other etc.
    Write, tricking them into putting all these points (all the stuff that they have no business knowing), in writing. Say nothing about Data Protection at this point. Once you have it in writing, you can then challenge them as to the source of that information.

    There are several potential DPA breaches:

    The landlord may have disclosed confidential information about you when speaking to the neighbours.
    The neighbours may disclosed confidential information about you to the landlord.
    The landlord may have passed that information to the council.
    The Council may already have that information elsewhere, but have used it for an unrelated purpose.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by bluebottle View Post
    If you have a Law Centre in your local area, you might be able to ask them to write a strongly-worded letter to the CEO of your housing association about the behaviour of this housing officer. There is no excuse for it.
    I'll check that out, thanks

    I'll wait for her manager. Prior to asking for an investigation, I will be requesting any data that they have concerning me. God knows who they have been speaking to and what info they have!

    Nope, no excuse apart from an over-inflated ego

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by enquirer View Post
    Write, tricking them into putting all these points (all the stuff that they have no business knowing), in writing. Say nothing about Data Protection at this point. Once you have it in writing, you can then challenge them as to the source of that information.

    There are several potential DPA breaches:

    The landlord may have disclosed confidential information about you when speaking to the neighbours.
    The neighbours may disclosed confidential information about you to the landlord.
    The landlord may have passed that information to the council.
    The Council may already have that information elsewhere, but have used it for an unrelated purpose.
    Thank you

    I think that's what I've decided is the way I want to proceed before making a decision.

    Basically I want to know what personal data they have gathered and recorded concerning me and my 'private' life

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by wales01man View Post
    Are you or your son on Facebook you may like many others have put things on there if your son is at Uni he may have stated that on facebook its actually quite easy to find out about people
    Very unlikely.

    If they had accessed his Facebook (they don't know his name btw) they'd know he finished Uni 18 months ago.

    As for my profile: there is no information that is visible to the public. I work with children, so even though I have a profile, I barely use it.

    We have incredibly strict policies concerning social media, data protection (ironically) and child protection (to name but a few) that I find it easier not to give out any personal information on there.

    That being said, in the very unlikely event that they have found any info from Facebook, they've still gathered it, stored it and used it. Highly dubious!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,192
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    5079
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    You can SAR the housing association for all the data they hold on you but don't forget what you are saying the manager knows might still be in her head not written or logged down anywhere

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    She admitted that she'd never visited my address and was reading from notes at the time. The guy who had visited my home was also in attendance at the meeting and freely spoke about visiting my home on multiple occasions.

    So no, they have recorded my personal information and used it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,192
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    5079
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Heres hoping the notes are recorded somewhere its a stupid manager who records officially something that can come back and bite them, WE have had crap from our previous Housing Association and know what they are like for a charity they are all the same I expect totally uncharitable.
    Hope you can get to the bottom of this

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,661
    Thanks (Given)
    2381
    Thanks (Received)
    11754
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by wales01man View Post
    Heres hoping the notes are recorded somewhere its a stupid manager who records officially something that can come back and bite them, WE have had crap from our previous Housing Association and know what they are like for a charity they are all the same I expect totally uncharitable.
    Hope you can get to the bottom of this
    If they are a registered charity, Wales, have you thought of reporting them to the Charity Commission?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,192
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    5079
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    When I tried to complain to the HA I got accused of being a racist as I was English in a welsh HA I researched complaints about the HA and decided they got away with so much it would not be worth the hassle .
    having been repossessed 2 years before I had just got over that and wanted a peaceful life it prompted a move from wales back to England a new start a new life now we are happier than ever from being worth over 600k in 2008 to have little now its great and 1000% better.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9,114
    Thanks (Given)
    27749
    Thanks (Received)
    10161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie999 View Post
    The guy who had visited my home was also in attendance at the meeting and freely spoke about visiting my home on multiple occasions.
    Did he ever have the opportunity to plant any listening devices?
    I am not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be a lawyer.

    For sensible legal advice http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

    For FREE legal representation, go to the National Probono Centre

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,661
    Thanks (Given)
    2381
    Thanks (Received)
    11754
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by wales01man View Post
    When I tried to complain to the HA I got accused of being a racist as I was English in a welsh HA I researched complaints about the HA and decided they got away with so much it would not be worth the hassle .
    having been repossessed 2 years before I had just got over that and wanted a peaceful life it prompted a move from wales back to England a new start a new life now we are happier than ever from being worth over 600k in 2008 to have little now its great and 1000% better.
    The complaints didn't relate to anything involving by any chance? It might explain why they were so tetchy.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Did he ever have the opportunity to plant any listening devices?
    Ha Ha, you might be on to something there as I'm often to be found chanting that my son was at Uni 18 months ago and that I work at x location

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pigeons, neighbours
    By melowwhippet in forum Housing, Property and Neighbours
    Replies: 2
    : 17th August 2011, 15:44:PM
  2. smoking neighbours
    By heed in forum Welcome Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 26th April 2009, 07:47:AM
  3. Questions and answers for OFT personal current account work
    By Budgie in forum Office of Fair Trading (OFT)
    Replies: 4
    : 11th July 2008, 19:49:PM
  4. P.O.s neighbours vs Lloyds!!
    By peed 'orf in forum Lloyds Bank / TSB
    Replies: 6
    : 10th July 2007, 18:15:PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contact Us



© Celame (UK) Ltd 2014
Hosted by Lodge Information Services Ltd
LegalBEAGLES® are DPA Registered No. ZA025462
LegalBEAGLES® is the trading name of CELAME (UK) LIMITED ( 09220332 )
Registered Address: Hadfields Bottom Road, Buckland Common, Tring, Herts, HP23 6NH
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.3 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Celame LLP Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Extra Tabs by vBulletin Hispano
TOP