• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please post your own experience of reclaiming PPI from Santander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please post your own experience of reclaiming PPI from Santander

Super information Victoria27 thank you so much x:tinysmile_twink_t2:

I may try to find my letter tomorrow and post it up, I will try to attach it, so we can maybe then compare them lol!

Thank you for your kind comments too honey x

Comment

You are very welcome, my dazzling friend!
      i think we will find out that most of the letters will be nearly identical. Santander lost any ability to think outside of those templates and scripts. Those rejection templates letters are totally outdated. They keep repeating that rubbish, hoping to wear us out. But we will not let them! Xxx

Comment

Hi to all, I have had 2 claims actually settled by Santander, the 1st was their paymentcare cover which was a no brainer and repaid in full with standard 8% interest, the second was in respect of 2 loans but they have settled as one accumulated payment of both loans with the 8% interest (one ran full term and one was consolidated and settled early) However I did and am still disputing the settlement figure for the consolidated loan as although they have made offer for the refund of the PPI, they have failed to grasp that there is additional redress due for final redemption figure which should have been further recalculated based on the position of the PPI basically never been included in the calculation figures and the redress should be the difference between the redemption figure loan as a stand alone for the loan itself and the redemption figure with the inclusion of the PPI and interest applied. They have at all stages, stated that they are only payback the ppi but they cannot grasp that the final redemption I had paid then was "inflated" as it included the PPI element ( and interest ) and should have been considerably less, with the difference ( plus 8% standard interest ) due back to me.
        I have checked this via the ombudsman website and this is how "they" calculate settlement and I can see no reason why Santander would not conform to this and am pushing as we speak to get them to re-review
        I will keep you up to date on this
        I also have 3 x Alliance and Leicester Loans that I had in my impetuous youth which I have provided Santander with a copy of the loan agreement and whilst they accept that PPI was mis-sold, they are unable to deal unless I prove payments were made. Now, the payments were made via my bank account which was held with ......yes you've guessed it, Abbey National / Santander and they say that they do not have any records that far back ( 1998 till 2004 ) and unless I can prove I actually paid for the loan then there is nothing they are willing to do - Long and short is that they are the only people who I can obtain any info from ( they bought A & L and thus their liabilities and they are the holders of my bank account details from which payments were made ) so it would seem that they have me by the preverbials ........................But wait, what is this ? Oh its my credit Experian report I requested back in 2006 and guess what, this shows the dates of the loans I held via A&L and more importantly it shows the payments made ( amounts shown in full pounds ) and the dates of payments plus the finalisation dates of the loans and confirmation that they were settled. Accordingly as these are a source of reference that the very banks we are reclaiming from used to assess our acceptability and credit worthiness when accepting the loan applications, it is therefore to be accepted that they pay credence and validity to the information provided there-in and as such "should" accept this as proof of payment.
        I have furnished them with this information and will again update you with their responses failing which it is the obligatory referral to the Ombudsman but I feel confident that they will agree to deal on this basis.
        Crux is, never give up, keep at 'em and use any resources that are at your disposal ( of which this site is invaluable ) and we should all prevail.
        I personally feel that the worst to deal with are Nationwide Building society as they just use the "non advised " sale as their basis for declination and the fact that their rate of payout is less than 20% of overall complaints but that is a review for a different thread ( If anyone can point me in that direction I would be eternally greatful as we are talking a large loan of over £27000 on that one and think due to the costs that is the sole reason for them continually holding out )

Stick to your guns guys and keep the faith and as I say, use all the resources available to you on this site as they are truly of great great benefit and take a lot of the guesswork out of dealing directly.

Peace !!

Comment

Thank you dbp3770 for sharing this with us and all the best to you too.
          Happy to hear your keeping them on their feet! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Please do keep posting, thank you x

Comment

Thank you, dpb3770 and well done, pursuing your case.
            what you described is very much like my other case with Santander, A&L credit card. Identical reason for a rejection, they even were given the PPI policy number. Of course, there were no bank statements from such a long time ago. However, like you, I had a few regular Credit reports from Experian, showing all the balances. When I suggested to send it to them, they were totally at lost, told me that they need to check with the supervisor, who....said that they woul accept only a credit card statement, but not the Experian reports! Then I understood their game, they had no intention to refund and were asking for something which, of course, was not possible to provide. When faced with the documental proof from Experian, they said, no, only the statement from the credit card. At that stage I left that case with the FOS.
            Now I pursue them for the refund of the store card.
            Speaking of non advised sales, it is no excuse, they are hiding behind it.
            But the regulations, apply to non advised sales.
            They either do not know, or pretend not to know, that for NON ADVISED sale the main features of the policy, including the exclusions and limitations, cost etc. have to be disclosed during the sale, "in a good time before sale was completed", "in a way which is clear, fair and not misleading" to enable a customer to make "an informed" decision.
            It has to be done BEFORE sale is completed, not after.
            it is the company's job.
            Nobody wants to add any unnecessary expenses, unless we led to believe it is necessary.
            We always look for the ways to reduce our costs, not to increase them. That is normal and natural.
            Non advised sale is no excuse.
            let's make them behave!
            about time!
            Vx

Comment

what you described is very much like my other case with Santander, A&L credit card. Identical reason for a rejection, they even were given the PPI policy number. Of course, there were no bank statements from such a long time ago. However, like you, I had a few regular Credit reports from Experian, showing all the balances. When I suggested to send it to them, they were totally at lost, told me that they need to check with the supervisor, who....said that they woul accept only a credit card statement, but not the Experian reports! Then I understood their game, they had no intention to refund and were asking for something which, of course, was not possible to provide. When faced with the documental proof from Experian, they said, no, only the statement from the credit card. At that stage I left that case with the FOS.
              They either do not know, or pretend not to know, that for NON ADVISED sale the main features of the policy, including the exclusions and limitations, cost etc. have to be disclosed during the sale, "in a good time before sale was completed", "in a way which is clear, fair and not misleading" to enable a customer to make "an informed" decision.
              it is the company's job.
              Nobody wants to add any unnecessary expenses, unless we led to believe it is necessary.
              We always look for the ways to reduce our costs, not to increase them. That is normal and natural.
              let's make them behave!
              about time!
              Vx

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria27 View Post
                it is the company's job.
                let's make them behave!
                about time!
                Vx
                Good Evening All,
                Victoria, a, very good point to bring to the attention of everyone. The regulators do expect you to have enough information to be able to make an "informed decision" before you buy. Sometimes even they forget that! It is up to us to remind them.
                To confirm a few points from last evening.... Genworth now have an over riding message on their switchboard, which states that they are not responsible for the sale of PPI. This was not on the switchboard late last year. I can only assume that they have taken some sort of a corporate decision not to pay these ppi claims. I did not use your letter Di, you are busy enough but, I did quote your case that while genworth may not be responsible for the sale, they do have some responsibility towards suitability. The other thing that seems to be in the way of underwriter claims, is the proving of a financial relationship. To my mind that is about commission. With Genworth that is easy to prove as they have paid out on PPI cases and that has been confirmed by successes on claims such as your own Di. People with more "nouse" than me will be able to figure out how to prove that on a regular basis. I presume it would be researching the company history. I do not know if the data protection act or the freedom of information act enquiries would yield this type of info. (Apologies if this last bit is twaddle)!

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria27 View Post
                  it is the company's job.
                  let's make them behave!
                  about time!
                  Vx
                  Good Evening All,
                  Victoria, a, very good point to bring to the attention of everyone. The regulators do expect you to have enough information to be able to make an "informed decision" before you buy. Sometimes even they forget that! It is up to us to remind them.
                  To confirm a few points from last evening.... Genworth now have an over riding message on their switchboard, which states that they are not responsible for the sale of PPI. This was not on the switchboard late last year. I can only assume that they have taken some sort of a corporate decision not to pay these ppi claims. I did not use your letter Di, you are busy enough but, I did quote your case that while genworth may not be responsible for the sale, they do have some responsibility towards suitability. The other thing that seems to be in the way of underwriter claims, is the proving of a financial relationship. To my mind that is about commission. With Genworth that is easy to prove as they have paid out on PPI cases and that has been confirmed by successes on claims such as your own Di. People with more "nouse" than me will be able to figure out how to prove that on a regular basis. I presume it would be researching the company history. I do not know if the data protection act or the freedom of information act enquiries would yield this type of info. (Apologies if this last bit is twaddle)!

Comment

If it helps anyone, below is a copy of the article from Which, dated Jan 2007. There are others if you have a look on the net.

GE Capital Bank (GECB), which provides card services for Debenhams, Arcadia and Asda among others, received the £610,000 penalty after it was found to have insufficient safeguards against mis-selling payment protection insurance (PPI).

It was the largest fine the Financial Services Authority has imposed in relation to PPI. Fines against more firms are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

GECB has now said that it will honour any PPI claims made by customers from 2005 onwards, even if they go against contract exclusion clauses.

PPI claims
                    The product provides financial cover for policyholders who are unable to pay bills due to ill health or redundancy.

But critics claim that the product is vastly overpriced, difficult to claim on and in many cases sold to the wrong people.

GECB's main business is providing credit finance through branded store cards, credit cards and sales finance. Its clients include big-name retailers such as Laura Ashley, Mothercare, BHS and Halfords.

It offers PPI to customers applying for a store card while still at the till. If they do not buy in the shop, customers are contacted at a later date by GECB's sales staff.

In 2005 alone, more than 850,000 insurance policies, included PPI, were sold on its behalf to British consumers.

Selling insurance
                    This is despite a finding by the FSA that GECB failed to review and amend procedures for selling insurance despite its own evidence of widespread non-compliant selling practices.

The City watchdog found that the firm failed to ensure that customers received adequate information about PPI policies and failed to contact people who had been the victim of non-compliant sales.

Deficiencies in GECB's training and monitoring processes were also identified.

Margaret Cole, Director of Enforcement at the FSA, said: 'Millions of people take out store cards every year. They need to know that PPI is almost always optional and should consider whether they need it before signing up.

'Our focus on payment-protection insurance will remain very high this year. We are determined to see significantly better practice in PPI sales, and will crack down where firms fail to treat their customers.'
                    The fine against GECB could have been as high as £870,000, but the firm qualified for a 30 per cent discount by agreeing to settle early.

A statement from GE Capital Bank said: 'The main finding of the FSA relates to GECB policies sold in stores by sales staff.

'GECB designed the sales procedure but failed, in light of emerging evidence, to fully review, amend and then effectively operate it.

'As a result, relevant information about the insurance product was not provided to some customers at the time of sale.

'In certain cases, the FSA found that staff had not followed the correct sales procedure by drawing customers' attention to the importance of reading the policy's summary of cover. GECB fully accepts responsibility for how the policies are sold.

It added: 'GECB is continuing to take steps to ensure that no customer has lost out financially, and is honouring claims that would otherwise be rejected because of an exclusion.'

apologies for the previous double post. Along with the financial help, I could do with technology help!!

Best Regards All
                    :beagle:

Comment

Thank you very much for that information, L'pool. We need to refresh their memory. Very useful and helpful material. May be we should unleash Which again onto them.
                      Our great Star Dazzling Di is a true expert about the underwriters. I have a very limited knowledge of that avenue, however, my common sense (which is not common any more) understanding is that whatever they put on their switchboard, not being responsible, they are still partly responsible according to the law and regulations. As far as I know there was no change of law in that area, so, regardless of their switchboard message they should be held at least partly responsible. Also, the FOS seems to be ready to take the cases involving underwriters. I would have thought if they were not responsible, the Ombudsman would not even have considered those cases. I might be wrong, of course.
                      Thank you again for that useful information. I do communicate with Which and what I know, if they have enough similar cases, they can take it to their investigators and journalists.
                      I have already alerted them about Santander being in breach of the FCA guidelines. That is why it would be good to put together our experiences, which already sounds similar.
                      I did double posting as well )) Can't understand how it happened.
                      Must be my persistent intense thoughts which materialised that way.
                      V

Comment

Victoria27. L'pool etc, hope you dont mind me posting this here but do take a look in regards of Genworth.....

http://www.genworth.co.uk/dam/Europe...n-june2013.pdf

Genworth received 570 complaints which were reportable to the Financial Conduct Authority in the relevant reportingperiod.
                        Of these, 527 related to the mis-selling of Payment Protection Insurance Policies.
                        Genworth does not directly sell PPI policies. All its policies are sold through third party intermediaries. Genworth hasagreed with the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) to review complaint cases relating to Genworth underwritten policieswhere the sale fell outside of FOS jurisdiction.
                        Less than 1% of all other reportable complaints were upheld by Genworth or the Financial Ombudsman Service.
                        Genworth received 19 reportable complaints during this period in relation to customer service, which accounts for 3%of all reportable complaints.At Genworth we are continually striving to provide a better service to our customers. We take all complaints seriously, as it
                        helps us improve our processes and achieve our goal of being a market leader in treating our customers fairly.

http://www.genworth.co.uk/contact-us/complaints.html

Comment

Thank you very much for that information, you are our Star, Di! X

Comment

Once again, thank you, Di and L'pool64 for very useful information. I had a look at a few more links, which were mentioned.
                            They are very useful.

the same information, which L'pool64 kindly posted, also from other publicity sources.

A statement from GE Capital Bank said: 'The main finding of the FSA relates to GECB policies sold in stores by sales staff."

FSA fines GE Capital for PPI mis-selling

the Disciplinary History section reveals that GE Capital Bank was fined £610k in January 2007 for failures in its procedures for selling insurance to customers, leading to widespread instances of non-compliant sales;

The Financial Services Authority has fined GE Capital Bank (GECB) £610,000 for failing to have adequate systems and controls for selling insurance which includes Payment Protection Insurance (PPI). The bank was also fined for failing to treat its customers fairly.

The FSA found that GECB failed to review and amend its procedures for selling insurance in light of its own evidence of widespread non-compliant selling practices. The breaches arose in the following areas:

· Sales: the firm failed where appropriate to review, amend and then operate its sale procedures to ensure that all customers received adequate information about the policy before they made a decision on whether to take insurance.

· Training: in light of evidence that sales staff were not complying consistently with its sales procedures, the firm failed to amend its training procedures.

· Monitoring and management information: the firm failed where appropriate to ensure its monitoring procedures were effective and failed to act in response to management information which was collected and available.

· Customers: the firm failed to implement any procedure to contact customers to remedy the non-compliant sales identified by its monitoring procedures.

· Compliance: the firm failed to resource the compliance function adequately.

GECB is continuing to carry out a remedial action.

By agreeing to settle at an early stage of the FSA investigation GECB qualified for a 30% per cent discount under the FSA's executive settlement procedures – without the discount the fine would have been £870,000. Without the commitment to remedial action and appropriate redress the financial penalty would have been substantially higher.

GE Capital Bank hit with £610,000 PPI fine

This information clearly multiplies by "0" the opening paragraph of every rejection template letter we all received: "Having considered all available information, I can see that store card ....provided by GE Money (now Santander Cards UK Ltd) and associated PPI cover were opened in store on.... Purchase of PPI was on non advised basis with sufficient information provided at point of sale...to allow you to make an informed choice whether to add PPI to your account....I can confirm it has never been a requirement to take out a PPI policy for a card application to be accepted...etc."

Having considered all available information about £610,000 fine for failure of their fiduciary duty it makes it a good case to be reported to the FCA. They certainly have no intention to provide appropriate redress and this has to be addressed by the appropriate authorities and press. It is not anymore just about our personal cases being resolved. I believe a lot of old cold cases has to be reopened.
                            Thank you very much.
                            Vx

Comment

Very interesting and most useful! Thank you Victoria27

Comment

Oh and your most welcome. x

Am enjoying your posts honey

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X