• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please post your own experience of reclaiming PPI from Santander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Please post your own experience of reclaiming PPI from Santander

Hi All,

Hoping that I get some ideas and advice on here for my mother in law.
    She has made an application for PPI refund on the basis that she and my deceased father in law were paid whilst off work due to illness despite Abbey then subsequently Santander adding it to their mortgage payments. My father in law died 4 years ago and she realised that she had a claim for refund and subsequently applied. Despite sending in all her statements which she kept from 1991 and his death certificate they are insisting she send them Probate proof. They owned the house they lived in jointly and when he died there was no mortgage on the property. The estate was only £120,000 so from what I can see on the various government websites re probate there is no requirement to apply as he wife and co joint owner of the property the estate passed to her. Now they are being very difficult on the phone when she calls abrupt and verging on rude she is now contemplating giving up. I would estimate that her claim is in the region of 3-4K. Has anyone had any experience of being asked to provide Probate which wasn't required? The other thing that bothered me was they said she has 7 days to provide the probate which is unrealistic as this takes time and to top it all the person on the other end of the phone told her she would probably have to pay a considerable amount of money to apply for it in my view I think they were trying to scare her off. Does anyone have the actual address of the CEO NOT email address as she doesn't use the internet and stays over 600 miles from me so I cant physically be there in person to help her.

Thanks in advance for any help

Comment

Santander, a law to themselves

Comment

Dear Victoria and others on this forum,

I am new to this forum. I came upon this site while searching for Santander PPI insurance. I originally contacted Santander in 2013 about PPI on a Dorothy Perkins store card (which I had from 2002-2011) which I know was mis-sold to me because I had 12 months sick pay with my employer and also a good redundancy package. I didn't even know PPI was on the store card!

I got their standard rejection letter in Nov 2013 saying that I signed the form to say I wanted it and didn't cancel it although I had plenty of time to do so. I am sure many of you know the letter well. At the time, I didn't pursue it because my parents were both ill and I just had so much going on in my personal life.

In October 2015 I decided to write to them again asking them to re-open my case. The letter I sent wasn't very detailed, I just stated that I felt the PPI was mis-sold because I had cover with my employer so wouldn't have agreed to pay for insurance which I didn't need. I came across this website after sending the letter, so followed it up with a more detailed email using Victoria's wording. When I sent the email I got a reply within 30 minutes to say that a reply to my first letter had been sent. I received it today and it is very curt, it just says Santander won't re-open my case because it was investigated in full and they have now closed my file! I am really angry because I feel they are just brushing me off!

Is there anything I can do? Should I just accept defeat? Santander are acting as if PPI was never mis-sold in the first place!

I would appreciate any advice and apologies for the long post.

Thanks so much.

Comment

appeal to the Financial Ombudsman, see Step 4 here > http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/rec...nsurance#step4

Comment

Hello,
            I recognise Santander's style...
            So sorry they keep doing it...
            I suggest you email CEO.
            They cannot close file just like that and they have to reopen the case any time you can provide them some new information.
            I understand you used my wording and refer to the FCA guidelines, correct?
            You now I usually recommend to inform your MP as it is within their duties to help in such situations and Santander does take their involvement seriously.
            All I did just copied my communication with the CEO to my MP in the same email.
            It helped a lot.
            Your email to the CEO should be a complaint about the fact they did not investigate your case according to the FCA guidelines (you know the wording if you saw my letters samples), if not I will help you to compose it, of course. It is important to refer to the guidelines to show your knowledge.
            You have to tell them that if they do not investigate it properly to your satisfaction within 2 weeks you will take it to as high level as possible.
            You should not accept their rejection. That is what they hope for.
            You have a strong case.
            We do not buy expensive things we do not need. It is a simple common sense. The fact you have this PPI you did not need which you can prove without a shadow of doubt shows that you were not aware you had it or thought it was a part of the package.

If they continue to be difficult than I suggest you take it to small claim court which is very easy, stress free, would not cost you almost anything at all and is their worst fear. Most likely they will not let it come to that and will make you a good offer to avoid small claim court. So far it was always the case. You have nothing to lose with that, but for them it is much more to pay.
            Our wonderful L'pool can advise about small claim court, she is a great expert.
            It is very easy.
            I believe you will get your refund.
            Please do not give up.
            It is very hard and stressful, I know that very well, however the good outcome will give you a great satisfaction.
            It took me a 4 months and 3 rejections as far as I remember, then they paid me even more for bad behaviour as a gesture ))
            Also it is important to help others by your example not to give up and to win your case.
            I believe you have all the chances.
            They always behave like that hoping you give up and give in. No way!
            Please start with your complaint to the CEO, referring to the FCA guidelines which you do know, I believe, from my letters. (If not, I will help).
            Try to inform your MP and copy him (or her) your communication as Cc copy in your emails. This way the CEO office will see it.
            You can give them 2 more weeks to sort it out.
            If nothing works, then small claim court.
            "Letter before action".
            At first they will pretend they do not care, because they may think you are just saying it, but not really going to do that.
            However when they will be informed that it is going ahead, I have a strong feeling they will make an offer.
            In case of small claims court L'pool is the one to ask for an advice.
            Please keep us posted and good luck.
            Also please do not hesitate to write me a pm, this way I will have a notification and will have a look as soon as I can.
            Best of luck and please, for all of us, keep going! No giving up!
            We all are here to help.
            It is the best Forum and you are in the right place.
            You can do it.

Victoria

Comment

Dear Victoria and Debt Camel,
              Thanks alot for the advice. I will do as you suggest Victoria and contact the CEO with my MP cc'd in. I will let you know how I can get on.
              Sincere thanks!
              QUOTE=Victoria27;593363]Hello,
              I recognise Santander's style...
              So sorry they keep doing it...
              I suggest you email CEO.
              They cannot close file just like that and they have to reopen the case any time you can provide them some new information.
              I understand you used my wording and refer to the FCA guidelines, correct?
              You now I usually recommend to inform your MP as it is within their duties to help in such situations and Santander does take their involvement seriously.
              All I did just copied my communication with the CEO to my MP in the same email.
              It helped a lot.
              Your email to the CEO should be a complaint about the fact they did not investigate your case according to the FCA guidelines (you know the wording if you saw my letters samples), if not I will help you to compose it, of course. It is important to refer to the guidelines to show your knowledge.
              You have to tell them that if they do not investigate it properly to your satisfaction within 2 weeks you will take it to as high level as possible.
              You should not accept their rejection. That is what they hope for.
              You have a strong case.
              We do not buy expensive things we do not need. It is a simple common sense. The fact you have this PPI you did not need which you can prove without a shadow of doubt shows that you were not aware you had it or thought it was a part of the package.

If they continue to be difficult than I suggest you take it to small claim court which is very easy, stress free, would not cost you almost anything at all and is their worst fear. Most likely they will not let it come to that and will make you a good offer to avoid small claim court. So far it was always the case. You have nothing to lose with that, but for them it is much more to pay.
              Our wonderful L'pool can advise about small claim court, she is a great expert.
              It is very easy.
              I believe you will get your refund.
              Please do not give up.
              It is very hard and stressful, I know that very well, however the good outcome will give you a great satisfaction.
              It took me a 4 months and 3 rejections as far as I remember, then they paid me even more for bad behaviour as a gesture ))
              Also it is important to help others by your example not to give up and to win your case.
              I believe you have all the chances.
              They always behave like that hoping you give up and give in. No way!
              Please start with your complaint to the CEO, referring to the FCA guidelines which you do know, I believe, from my letters. (If not, I will help).
              Try to inform your MP and copy him (or her) your communication as Cc copy in your emails. This way the CEO office will see it.
              You can give them 2 more weeks to sort it out.
              If nothing works, then small claim court.
              "Letter before action".
              At first they will pretend they do not care, because they may think you are just saying it, but not really going to do that.
              However when they will be informed that it is going ahead, I have a strong feeling they will make an offer.
              In case of small claims court L'pool is the one to ask for an advice.
              Please keep us posted and good luck.
              Also please do not hesitate to write me a pm, this way I will have a notification and will have a look as soon as I can.
              Best of luck and please, for all of us, keep going! No giving up!
              We all are here to help.
              It is the best Forum and you are in the right place.
              You can do it.

Victoria[/QUOTE]

Comment

You are most welcome! ))
                Fingers crossed.
                Victoria

Comment

I'm happy to see this thread come alive again!

It's been a year since my failed attempt at claiming mis-sold PPI from Santander. Ultimately I found out that the sale was made over the phone on a non-advised basis. During this time I was a part-time student and would have no such need for such a policy as I couldn't even claim due to working under 16 hours.

I originally got a fob off letter. This forum encouraged me to challenge them further to which they did eventualy list points corresponding to my particular case and that I could have cancelled within 30 days if I did not feel the policy was applicable/needed. I still feel this was an insufficient outcome so I took it one step further and went to the FOS - only for them to come back and say because the policy was sold pre 2005 there was nothing they could do.

So here I am again a year down the line and very interested in everyone's opinion on whether my next move would be to forget about it and admit defeat or fight this further. Personally I would like to see them uphold the complaint as I've read many people on various forums with lesser such reasoning for being 'mis-sold' be rewarded. My case is genuine and I definitely would not have needed a policy that was not applicable to me while being a student.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comment

Hi I_cru

I'm sure that i have read somewhere on another thread that your claim cannot be dismissed just because it pre 2005, and that there have been successful pre 2005 claims. I'm sure someone with more experience will get back to you on this. in the meantime i will get back to you if i can re find the post with the info on it.

Comment

Found this, but I'm sure there is more.

sarah nicholson post aug 2014
                      and
                      found this on the web. hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will be able to update more fully.
                      Policies sold Pre January 2005
                      Specific FSA regulations regarding mediation of insurance did not apply before 2005. However, the FSA’s Principles for Business did, and most providers were signed up to the General Insurance Standard Council (GISC) Code.
                      This, and the Association of British Insurers (ABI) Code, which predated the GISC, means that the provider can be held to account for mis-selling PPI.
                      However, whilst this applies to most banks, building societies and credit card providers, it doesn’t apply to providers of consumer credit.
                      This means that intermediaries like Norton Finance, loans.co.uk and Central Trust, consumer finance companies (e.g. Blackhorse and Welcome Finance) and car dealers are not covered by these regulations prior to 2005. The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) also does not have jurisdiction to adjudicate these claims. So a PPI claim in this area would be tricky.
                      Where sale pre-dates 2005 and the provider was not covered by regulation or membership of a standards code, it is possible to complain to underwriter of the PPI.

Policies which ended over 6 years ago
                      FSA regulated businesses are not required to keep documents longer than 6 years, and will often reject claims out of hand if they cannot trace the account.
                      However, if you still have the original loan documentation or loan account number, and the policy was sold by a bank, building society or credit card provider then you stand a good chance of success!

Comment

Hi!
                        I used Victoria's template email to appeal (I had recieved exact duplicate rejection letters) on decisions on a top shop and kwik fit cards from 1999/2000. Sent to the CEO email address.
                        Immediately got a call back from a very helpful guy from Santander
                        Within 7 days both decisions had been reversed .., HOWEVER, they say they can only trace one payment ever being made on the TS card and none ever being made on the kwik fit card. So they have offered me £12....
                        Seems initially they do send standard rejection letters without even looking to see if you had the policy....

Thanks for the info legal beagles & Victoria. Was worth a try. xx

Comment

Hi everyone I'm thinking of trying to claim my PPI on 3 store cards am I right in thinking I firstly need to send for a Sar to Santander? If that's right do I need to send £10 or £30 as its for 3 cards I have the account numbers for all the cards. I hope someone can help me thankyou x

Comment

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of trying to reclaim PPI from Santander, I received yesterday a letter that states that they do not believe that they should uphold my complaint (I have no idea what this means), and the date that they say I took out the Evans store card seems incorrect to me, and have stated is was 24th April 2000.

They state aswell that apparantley I have indicated that i might not have been in continuous employement for 6 months prior to the date of sale, and that it might have affected my ability to make a claim on the policy, my eligibility for the policy or its overall appropriateness, and are now asking for further information.

Do I ask them to provide me with a full statement of account and all records that they hold? is this the one that costs £10? because of how long ago it was I only have a rough idea of where i was working, certainly no wage slips, or bank statements as I have moved houses a few times since then and cleared paperwork out with each move.

Any advice on best approach moving this forward with Santander would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

they must of stated it is their final response??

if so you can go to the Financial Ombudsman

Comment

Hi Mike,

Its not their final offer, ive pretty much only recently started this process a few weeks ago, this feels like the next letter to jump through hoops.

They are asking for info about my employment status for the 6 months before i took out the store card.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X