• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ParkingEye Court threat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ParkingEye Court threat

Hi all, and sorry it's another ParkingEye Court threat, I'll try and make it short

First of all I received a parking notice from ParkingEye on the 21/10/2013 saying that I had parked in a B&Q car park for 4 hours 13 minutes on the 3/10/13 and said I had 1 day to pay £50 or it would rise to £85. The letter seem to apply that they had sent me a previous letter but I had never received it.

Although remembering what I had done 3 weeks ago was hard, I know that I had never parked in that car park for that length of time, so I thought this was just another lame scam and I ignored it.

After getting a few more letters from them I googled the company and it seemed that they were just rogue outfit that relied on threating letters and bully tactics, and contacting them to contest their chargers was just a waste of time.

Then I received a claim form from County Court Bulk Centre, so I now tried to work out what I might have been doing on the 3/10/13, and luckily I found some photos of my bathroom that I was replacing, with a date stamp and time of the 3/10/13, so I know that my car wasn't in that car park for that length of time, but I had probably made 2 visits to B&Q that day.

I gave my defence to the claim form, saying that I had proof that they had made a mistake, but they are still taking it to court because they say their cameras can't make mistakes.

The last letter I had from ParkingEye states that they are still going to take this to court, and it's full of examples of court cases that they have won. The letter isn't really clear about what steps I should take next. Also ParkingEye say I must have received the first letter because they have proof of posting and under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 (9) (6) 'A notice sent by post is presumed, unless the contrary can proved, to have been delivered on the second working day on which it is posted"; how can I prove that I didn't receive it?

What should I do? Thanks.
    Last edited by MrNye; 25th February 2014, 15:00:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: ParkingEye Court threat

Calm down for starters.

Post up everything you have including notices, claim form, defence, pictures of the signs etc etc. Remvove you name and adress but leave dates and times.

You should also approach B & Q with your proof of custom and see if they can get this cancelled for you.

M1

Comment

Thanks for your reply, do I post everything as scanned pictures?

The last letter I got from ParkingEye is huge, do I post the whole lot?

Comment

have you proof of the times you went through the tills?

Comment

No, I probably had receipts but it was nearly 3 weeks before I received the first letter, and I've looked but can't find any. I always pay cash, but I may have used my B&Q loyalty card, so B&Q might have a record.

Comment

Everything is best but if you mean the parking eye charges justification ******** then you can leave it out.

3 ParkingEye's Parking Charges are issued on the basis of a contract with the motorist, set out
            via the signage at the site. The signage sets out the terms and conditions under which a
            motorist is authorised to park, be that by payment of the appropriate paid parking tariff or by
            parking within a limited stay period or similar, and that a Parking Charge will be payable if
            the conditions are not met. We ensure signage is ample, clear and visible in line with the
            British Parking Association (BPA) code of practice to ensure that the motorist is bound by
            them when they enter and remain at a client site, so that all users of the site are obliged to
            follow these rules. This is a matter of contract law. In ParkingEye v Kevin Shelley (2013),
            Circuit Judge Dodd stated that a contract can be formed by conduct, not just in writing He
            further stated that the contract, as set out on the signage, is clear and certain enough, and that
            the terms were clear and easy to understand. He stated that it was not common for the
            courts to find penalty terms within a contract. It was further found that, on private land, the
            landholder is entitled to set out terms and conditions, subject to law, and that these are fully
            enforceable.

3.1 The case of Vine v London Borough of Waltham Forest (2000) proves
            particularly useful in respect to the creation of a contract with the driver. It was found
            by Lord Justice Waller that:

“Normally the presence of notices which are posted where they are bound to be seen, for
            example the entrance to a private car park, which are of a type which the car driver would
            be bound to have read, will lead to a finding that the car driver had knowledge of an
            appreciated the warning.”

3.2 The driver is not coerced into using the car park. If the driver was not prepared
            to agree to the terms and conditions set out on the signage, they should not have used the
            car park. However by driving into the car park and parking their vehicle the driver
            agrees to the parking terms detailed on the signage. In ParkingEye Ltd v Kevin Shelley
            (2013), Circuit Judge Dodd found that, on private land, the landholder is entitled to set
            out terms and conditions, subject to law, and that these are fully enforceable.
            Furthermore it should be noted that Section 7.1 of the Department of Transport's
            guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 states
            that a:

“car park on private land will normally have signs setting out the terms and conditions
            upon which parking is offered”.

3.3 In accordance with this ParkingEye's car parks have ample and clear signage that
            outlines these terms and conditions. Section 7.1 further states that:

“Drivers can then decide whether or not to accept those terms and conditions. In most
            cases a driver who parks in a car park with clear signage setting out the terms and
            conditions will be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions and therefore entered
            into a contract to park with the landholder.”

3.4 In this location, as the images attached show, there is clear and ample signage at
            the entrance to and throughout the car park. ParkingEye firmly believes that the
            defendant entered into a legally enforceable contract.

3.5 In the case, Vehicle Control Systems Ltd v HM Revenue & Customs 2012, the
            Upper Tribunal found that:

“On the facts of this case we do not consider that any offer was made by VCS that was
            capable of forming the basis for a contract between it and the motorist. VCS was not in a
            position, by virtue of its limited licence, to make any offer of a right to park. The ability to
            offer such a right was not conferred by the contract with the client, either expressly or by
            virtue of the interest in the car park conferred on VCS. That interest did not amount to a
            licence to occupy, or give VCS any right to possession. It merely conferred a right of entry
            to perform VCS's obligations under the contract.”

3.6 VCS did not have the authority to take legal action in their own name, 'by virtue
            of its limited licence”. This does not apply to ParkingEye as our contract with our client
            clearly expresses that we can take legal action to recover any unpaid Parking Charges, in
            line with the British Parking Association Code of Practice.

3.7 We include a witness statement signed by the landholder confirming that [stet]
            had the written authority to issue Parking Charges at this time of this Parking event and
            that this authority is contained in a contract. The contract itself contains much
            commercial information which is not related to this case and therefore we are disinclined
            to divulge it. However, a copy will be made available to the court if requested by the
            court.

4 In relation to the value of the Parking Charge, ParkingEye maintains that its charges are fair
            and reasonable. Furthermore ParkingEye firmly believes that its Parking Charges are not
            punitive or a penalty. A charge of £75 pounds was found by HHJ Hegarty QC in the case of
            ParkingEye v Somerfield Stores (2011) to be a reasonable charge and not a penalty, by
            which the motorist would be contractually bound.

“I conclude that any motorist using the car park would be contractually bound to pay the
            charge of £75 if he exceeded the specified time limit and a demand for payment was made
            up on him. Whilst he might argue that the charge in question amounted to a penalty and
            was therefore irrecoverable, I think he would probably fail in that contention.” (HHJ
            Hegarty QC ParkingEye v Somerfield Stores (2011).

4.1 The case of Combined Parking Solutions v Mr Stephen James Thomas (2008)
            provides further evidence that a Parking Charge of a certain value – in this case one that
            begins at £60 and rises to £85 and £135 respectively – can be considered fair and
            reasonable. District Judge Ackroyd found that these amounts could not be considered as

a penalty. Nor could he find that it was a disproportionately high sum in compensation.
            This was upheld by Judge John Robins who ruled that a Parking Charge of £135 was not
            unreasonable, being in line with the BPA Code of Practice. Instead he found that it
            escalated in accordance with the warnings given and constituted a reasonable charge.
            (Combined Parking Solutions v Blackburn [October 2007]).

4.2 Furthermore the figure of £100 has been endorsed as a reasonable upper level of
            charging across the industry and both the Parking Charge amounts and the reduction of
            40% for early payment within 14 days were prescribed and approved by the British
            Parking Association in consultation with the Department for Transport in 2012.

4.3 In Combined Parking Solutions v Dorrington (2012), the Judge stated

“The defendant said to me that there was no loss at all the to client in him parking there. I
            do not agree with that because if people keep parking on land over some period of time, the
            rights over that land can accrue and it is very important for owners of land to make sure
            that those rights do not accrue, as they could lose interest in their land. That alone is a
            good and valid reason to stop someone from parking on that lad because, quite simply, if he
            had parked there loss could at some point have accrued to the owner.”

4.4 ParkingEye does not believe that the terms, set out by ParkingEye in conjunction
            with the landholder, are unfair. However, if the defendant believed them to be, he or she
            should not have parked in the car park.

4.5 ParkingEye does not believe that its Parking Charges are extravagant and
            unconscionable. Furthermore the finding of Lord Justice Colman in Lordsvale Finance v
            Bank of Zambia (1996) has since been found to be more instructive. Lord Justice Manse
            in the case of Cine Bes Filmcilik Ve Yapimcilik & Anor. V United International Pictures
            & Ors (2003) stated,

“I have also found valuable Colman J's further observation in Lordsvale at pp. 763G –
            764a, which indicate that a dichotomy between a genuine pre-estimate of damages and a
            penalty does not necessarily cover all the possibilities. There are clauses which may
            operate on breach, but which fall into neither category, and they may be commercially
            perfectly justifiable.”

4.6 In ParkingEye Ltd. V Kevin Shelley, Circuit Judge Dodd found, on a balance of
            probabilities, it was more likely that the dominant purpose of the Parking Charge was to
            provide for regulation of the car park area.

4.7 ParkingEye have instructed Barrister Johnathan Kirk QC to give his opinion on
            the matter of pre-estimate of loss. He has stated that, “the burden of proving that the
            fixed charge amounted to a penalty would be upon the motorist,” that ParkingEye
            should, “document clearly an attempt to pre-estimate the loss occasioned”, and that,
            “the Courts have recognised that this can be 'rough and ready' and will not be defeated
            because it is not absolutely accurate. It may be possible to achieve a global figure
            across the business.” This then is what we provide here.

4.8 This was supported in Mayhook v National Car Parks and Fuller (2012). Here
            the Judge stated “I do not find that this is a penalty. I think it is NCP doing its best in a
            very difficult field genuinely to pre-estimate loss.”

4.9 It must therefore be noted that this is a very difficult industry in which to
            determine a completely accurate pre-estimate of loss. This will depend both on losses to

ParkingEye, and on the potential losses to the landholder, which will vary depending on
            the time of day, the day of the week and even upon the weather.

4.10 We have calculated the outstanding Parking Charge amount as a genuine pre-
            estimate of loss as we incur significant costs in managing this car park to ensure
            motorists comply with the stated terms and conditions and to follow up any breaches of
            these. These costs include (but are not restricted to);

4.11 Erection and maintenance of the site signage, installation, monitoring and
            maintenance of the Automatic Number Plate Recognition systems, employment of
            office-based administrative staff, membership and other fees required to manage the
            business effectively including those paid to the BPA, DVLA and ICO, general costs
            including stationery, postage etc.

4.12 This sum, and the calculations which have been made in setting it, has been
            approved and agreed by the landholder. This sum was also clearly laid out on the
            signage at the site and, by remaining on site, we contend that the motorist has accepted
            all of the prevailing terms and conditions of that contract, including the charges for
            breach of contract. Furthermore, there is commercial justification for the charges, and
            the charges were approved and prescribed by the British Parking Association and the
            Department for Transport in 2012.

4.13 Here, ParkingEye has focused on its losses, although, as noted above, there are
            also significant losses incurred by the landholder.

4.14 The average payment by motorists who have been issued with a Parking Charge
            by ParkingEye is circa £63. Circa 84% of this payment (circa £53) covers ParkingEye's
            costs. This information has been taken from ParkingEye's company accounts and these
            can be provided to the court if requested.

4.15 ParkingEye is required to offer a 40% reduction to motorists for early payment
            within 14 days. Therefore, this reduced amount needs to be greater than or equal to £53
            in order for ParkingEye to operate as a business. Therefore, the upper amount of the
            charge needs to be at the level outlined below. Furthermore, the amount of £100 was
            approved and prescribed by the British Parking Association in consultation with the
            Department of Transport in 2012. Therefore, the full amount of the Parking Charge,
            which is an enforceable charge levied for breach of contract, is £100. The reduced
            amount for early payment is £60.

4.16 ParkingEye accepts payment of the reduced amount at many stages of its appeal
            process, including when a motorist who has appealed to ParkingEye is given the
            opportunity of appealing to the Parking On Private Land Appeals (POPLA) service. It is
            only if a defendant ignores all ParkingEye correspondence, or loses an appeal at
            POPLA, that the charge will be increased to the higher amount. At this stage,
            ParkingEye will have incurred further costs, and this increase is in line with BPA
            regulations and the terms and conditions set out on the signage. If legal proceedings are
            entered into, this amount will rise accordingly.

4.17 In ParkingEye Ltd v Kevin Shelley (2013), Circuit Judge Dodd adhered to the
            finding of Lord Justice Colman in Lordsvale Finance v Bank of Zambia (1996) QB 752,
            which states,

“whether a provision is to be treated as a penalty is matter of construction to be resolved by
            asking whether at the time the contract was entered into the predominant contractual
            function of the provision was to deter a party from breaking the contract or to compensate
            the innocent party for breach . . . deduced by comparing the amount that would be payable
            on breach with the loss that might be sustained if breach occurred”.

4.18 This follows the traditional definition of Lord Dunedin in the case of Dunlop in
            1915. However, at 763g and following it continues,

“the jurisdiction in relation to penalty clauses is concerned not primarily with the
            enforcement of inoffensive liquidated damages clauses but rather with protection against the
            effect of penalty clauses. There would therefore seem to be no reason in principle why a
            contractual provision the effect of which was to increase the consideration payable under an
            executory contract upon the happening of a default should be struck down as a penalty if the
            increase could in the circumstances be explained as commercially justifiable, provided
            always that its dominant purpose was not to deter the other party from breach.”

4.19 This description was approved by Lord Justice Manse in the case of Cine Bes
            Filmcilik Ve Yapimcilik & Anor. V United International Pictures & Ors (2003) EWCA
            Civ 1669 in which he stated,

“I have also found valuable Colman J's further observation in Lordsvale at pp. 763G –
            764a, which indicate that a dichotomy between a genuine pre-estimate of damages and a
            penalty does not necessarily cover all the possibilities. There are clauses which may
            operate on breach, but which fall into neither category, and they may be commercially
            perfectly justifiable.”

4.20 Circuit Judge Dodd found that the key issue was not whether or not the charge
            was a pre-estimate of loss; but whether the purpose of the Parking Charge is to deter
            breach, or if the dominant purpose is commercially justified. We strongly argue that
            there is commercial justification for the charges. The Judge found that, on the balance of
            probabilities, it was more likely that the dominant purpose was to provide for regulation
            of the car park area. He also stated that it was not common for the courts to find a
            penalty within a contract. He stated that a breakdown of loss was not required, as the
            contract was formed on its own terms.

4.21 In Cavendish Square Holdings v El Makdessi (2012) it was stated,

“I am not persuaded that Clause 5.6 is a penalty clause, the onus being upon the Defendant:

i) it serves a commercial purpose.

ii) I am not satisfied that it's purpose is to deter.

However, the reality is that, in the modern approach to the concept of penalty
            discussed above, there is no longer the need for the dichotomy between liquidated
            damages and genuine pre-estimate of loss, and so the relevant questions seem to me
            to be simply:-

i) was there a commercial justification?

4.22 ParkingEye firmly believes that its charges are fair and reasonable. There is
            commercial justification for the charges, which means that the charges cannot be
            considered penalties (see E-Nik v Dept for Communities (2012) and Cadogan Petroleum
            Holdings Ltd v Global Process Systems LLC (2013)). Private management of car parks
            is commercially necessary for landholders. They have a right to manage their private

land as they see fit and allow motorists to use this land for parking under certain terms
            and conditions. The contracts, and its clauses, are necessary to prevent abuse of private
            land. This is commercially necessary as the landholder needs to manage their land in
            order to ensure that their business can run successfully. The terms and conditions of
            parking on private land are set out in consultation and conjunction with the landholder,
            and it is the obligation of the motorist to comply with these when they park in the car
            park. ParkingEye does not believe that the terms, set out by the landholder, are unfair.
            However, if the defendant believed them to be, they should not have parked in the car
            park.

5 ParkingEye does not believe that the contract is unfair. In Combined Parking Solutions v
            Dorrington (2012), it was found that the contract was fair. The Judge stated,

“I am satisfied that this is a contract freely entered into by the defendant. An offer was
            made by the owners of the land that if someone to park there they could, subject to charge.
            That offer was accepted by the defendant when he parked there. There was consideration
            on both sides of parking by the defendant and the sum of money that the claimant was
            entitled to expect and, because of the way it was set up, because it was at arm's length,
            because there were formal legal notices there, there was clearly an intention to create legal
            relations, and the law simply holds the defendant to that contract.”

5.1 The Judge also referred to the case of Lord Roskill Export Credits v UOP,

“It is not and never has been for the court to relieve a party from the consequences of what
            may be in the event proved to be erroneous or possibly even a commercially imprudent
            bargain.”

5.2 It is therefore ParkingEye's strong belief that this contract is not unfair. The
            driver was made aware of the terms and conditions of parking, in keeping with the
            British Parking Association regulations. Having entered the contract, the defendant
            cannot now decide that they do not wish to be bound by it. The contract was presented
            to the driver and was entered into freely. The contract did not cause a significant
            imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations. The landholder was obliged to provide
            managed parking space while the motorist was obliged not to break the terms and
            conditions of parking laid down by ParkingEye in conjunction with the landholder.
            ParkingEye does not believe that these terms are unfair. However, if the driver believed
            them to be, they should not have parked in the car park.

5.3 In ParkingEye Ltd v Kevin Shelley (2013), Circuit Judge Dodd found that, on
            private land, the landholder is entitled to set out terms and conditions, subject to law, and
            that these are fully enforceable.

5.4 All of our correspondence sent to the defendant has clearly outlined the reasons
            for the claim, being due to an overstay of the max stay time on site. All this information
            has subsequently been provided to the defendant in the particulars of claim, which also
            included an image of the sign, to evidence the terms and conditions that were broken.

5.5 ParkingEye would also like to add that on the reverse of all correspondence sent
            to the defendant, ParkingEye has stated that all appeals should be put in writing and sent
            to ParkingEye within 28 days. ParkingEye believes that the defendant broke the terms
            and conditions of parking and that therefore they are required to pay the outstanding
            charge. However, had the defendant corresponded with us initially, as requested,
            ParkingEye believes it could have answered many of the defendant's points directly and
            resolved the matter without having to issue court proceedings. However, as we have had
            no correspondence whatsoever from the defendant, we have had no choice but to enter
            into legal proceedings, and have incurred further costs in pursuing this matter (see
            attached letter).

5.6 Please note that, according to Civil Procedure Rules 1998, a document, other
            than a claim form, which is sent by First Class Post, shall be deemed to be served on the
            second day after it was posted, left with, delivered to or collected by the relevant service
            provider provided that day is a business day; or if not, the next business day after that.

5.7 ParkingEye would also like to state that this defence is a standard, generic
            defence, distributed on online forums to motorists attempting to avoid paying Parking
            Charges and that we receive many near identical defences.

Like i say you can omit most of that crap

M1

Comment

Hi, Totally ignore it and every letter they send they will just go away , i have had 10 of these with all the threats of court, not 1 single case, in all the years they have taken i think only about 3 people to court and lost every case, treat them like something you tread in and try and scrap off they soon go away.

Comment

Originally posted by STEPHEN FENNY View Post
                Hi, Totally ignore it and every letter they send they will just go away , i have had 10 of these with all the threats of court, not 1 single case, in all the years they have taken i think only about 3 people to court and lost every case, treat them like something you tread in and try and scrap off they soon go away.

Behave. They HAVE initiated court action as is their want.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by MrNye View Post
                  ... they say their cameras can't make mistakes.
                  msl:

de asinis loquuntur
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi, how do you know they have started court action?
                    I had a very similar thing happen to me and the parking fine people sent me "court papers" which I discovered were falsified! They were bogus court papers that were never lodged and wa just copied to appear as legitamate to be used as a tactic to scare me......
                    If you have any court forms check the form number in the bottom corner then check on HMCS website whether the forms are the same. It should specify a court so I would also call the court to confirm.
                    I dont know how the technology works for these tickets but surely if it knows you arrived at a certain time then it can see you left at a certain time otherwise everyone will end up with tickets?? If I was you I would ask them to explain how the know when a car leaves and is therefore within the time limit as surely they would be able to find you leaving they are just trying their luck.
                    Just to add, i ignored these letters and they went away, Ive never been taken to court or anything else and its been well over a year.

Comment

Parking eye have won and lost quite a few cases now and have issued 13000+ claim forms. Most do not go to court. Some settled and some discontinued.

The original poster has filed a defence so it's pretty certain this one is genuine.

As to those who have ignored, you do realise the statute of limitations is 6 years right ? You may be one of the lucky ignorers but you'll never be 100% sure until statute barred is in effect.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by Laurieloo2 View Post
                        Hi, how do you know they have started court action?
                        I had a very similar thing happen to me and the parking fine people sent me "court papers" which I discovered were falsified! They were bogus court papers that were never lodged and wa just copied to appear as legitamate to be used as a tactic to scare me......
                        If you have any court forms check the form number in the bottom corner then check on HMCS website whether the forms are the same. It should specify a court so I would also call the court to confirm.
                        I dont know how the technology works for these tickets but surely if it knows you arrived at a certain time then it can see you left at a certain time otherwise everyone will end up with tickets?? If I was you I would ask them to explain how the know when a car leaves and is therefore within the time limit as surely they would be able to find you leaving they are just trying their luck.
                        Just to add, i ignored these letters and they went away, Ive never been taken to court or anything else and its been well over a year.
                        Falsifying court papers to give the impression they are genuine is an indictable offence carrying a maximum penalty of up to seven years' imprisonment. If it is a money claim and the "claimant" is not lawfully entitled to claim, then the matter is a lot more serious. Those who engage in this sort of stunt may think they are being clever, but they are being extremely foolish as well as committing a criminal offence.
                        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

If you think you visited twice then they have taken the start time as the time you first arrived and the leave time when you left the second time. Seems to be a common failure. Their software, when looking for leaving time, seems to scan from the the end of the day rather than from the time you entered.

Showing that you were somewhere other than the car park between the two times would help. Were you working with someone who could swear a witness statement to send to the court (and ParkingEye)?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                            Showing that you were somewhere other than the car park between the two times would help. Were you working with someone who could swear a witness statement to send to the court (and ParkingEye)?
                            I was fitting a new shower system that day (on my own), because a lot of the pipe work would end up behind tiles, I took pictures. The pictures have the date stamp on them and checking the digital time stamp I took them at the time they say my car was in their car park.

I will upload the letters tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, I've decided not to upload any documents for the moment, I've found other proof that I wasn't in their car park so I'm a 100% happy if they did take me to court.
                              Also in their reply to my defence they have fabricated that I had admitted to use forums to avoid paying, which is totally untrue, I joined this forum the day I received the letter, and had not taken part in any other discussion relating to them before.

BUT I do have some questions:

1. In ParkingEye's reply to my defence, it says I must supply new evidence to them and the courts, is that true? I'd rather just take it to court on the day.
                              2. Normally how much notice do you get for a court hearing?
                              3. Do I need to do anything now, or is it just up to ParkingEye?
                              4. If this went to court, would it be easy to claim for all the time that I have wasted on this?

A NOTE TO PARKINGEYE IF YOU ARE READING THIS, This is NOT to get advice to avoid paying, it is to get advice to fight your false claims!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X