• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

parking-eye county court claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parking-eye county court claim

Hi, I'm new to the forum so not sure if this has previously been discussed. i have recieved in the post a claim form from Parking-eye Ltd (for Northampton CCBC) about abreach of parking on private land in Newquay (Fistral Beach) in Nov 2013.

I first recieved a letter/fine from these people in December 13 but thought it was spam as neither my wife nor myself were in Newquay at the date mentioned (we were both at work and can get written proof from our employers), so we ignored it. I am the registered keeper of the vehicle, however,at the time of the so called 'offence' I have now found out it was my son and his girlfriend (who were visiting from Australia) that had parked there for several minutes (but never left the car). They have since returned to Australia(at the end of december). I have not supplied any info to parkingeye as i cant contact them by phone or email as there is no contact details on their website except a number to pay.

Am I liable for the now £165 costs they are claiming?

Should I ignore this claim? or should I fill in the defence section on the claim form and send it Northampton CCBC ?

Also do I have to supply my sons address in Australia ( he is currently living with his girlfriends parents & I honestly dont know their address but should I contact him to find out ?).

Sorry if this is long winded it's just that they have given me 14 days to reply.
    Many thanks
    PG
    Last edited by Pompeyglenn; 13th February 2014, 17:48:PM. Reason: spelling mistake in title
    Tags: None

Re: parking-eye county court claim

The court claim is in your name so it is you that has to deal with it.

there are various ways to deal with it.

1 Pay £165. (probably feeling very sick about it)
    2 Negotiate and you might get to pay £50
    3 Contact the landowner and hope to convince them to cancel the charge. Unlikely in these circumstances
    4 Defend. If so log on to money claim online using the details on the form and file acknowledgement of service which gives you 33 days from the date of the form to file a defence. Then scrub reg numbers and names and addresses from the documents and post them up, including the claim form. We'll then get your defence sorted.

M1

Comment

Cheers M1, I'll defend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pompeyglenn View Post
        Cheers M1, I'll defend it.

Glad to hear it. Once i've seen the paperwork i'll give you a hand

M1

Comment

I've just applied for AOS, as it's Friday afternoon I'm sure it wont be dealt with until Monday. Do you just need me to post the Particulars of claim (without my car reg)?

Many Thanks
          PG

Comment

Yes please as well as the notices and if you have signage pictures etc them too.

M1

Comment

Hi M1, I can't find the original notice they sent but I can remember it had a cctv type photo of the vehicle. At the time of the 'incident' I had lent my son & his girlfriend (they were over visiting from Australia) my old people carrier for 2 weeks so they could do some touring. The incident occured at the end of November 13 and the first time I recieved notice of the incident was in Dec 13 by which time my son & his girlfriend had returned back to OZ. My wife & I ignored the original notice as we thought it was a hoax and it was only when I spoke to my son (via facebook!) that he informed me they had called into that carpark for about 10 mins one evening but didn't exit the car as they were just looking at the waves @ Fistral. Anyway ,sorry for the rambling but here is what it says on the Particulars of Claim:

Claim for monies outstanding from the defendant, as registered keeper, in relation to a parking cahrge, issued Nov 2013 for parking on private land in breach of the terms and conditions. ParkingEye?sautomated number plate recognition (ANPR) system,monitoring Fistral Beach, International Surf Centre, fistral Beach, Newquay,Cornwall TR7 1EW, captured vehicle (xxxx xxx) entering and leaving the carpark,parking without a valid paid parking ticket. The sineage, clearly displayed at the entrance to & throughout the carpark,states this is private land managed by ParkingEye Ltd, and is a paid parking site,along with other T&C's by which those who park on site agree to be bound. In accordance with the T&C's set out in the signage the parking Charge became payable. Notice under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 has been giving under Sch 4, making the keeper liable. This claim is in reference to Parking(s): 441048/620982.

So far this court claim and the original notice we recieved in Dec are the only 2 'letters' we have recieved from ParkingEye.
              We have no photos of the signage as we live about 150 miles away in Hampshire.

They are claiming £100, court fee £15, Solicitor's costs £50, making the grand total of £165. I'm not sure what the original 'fine' was but on the first letter we recieved it was for £100.

Hope this helps and once again,many thanks.
              PG

Comment

If you can get pics of signage etc it would be good. There may be routes that don't pass signs or they may be hidden etc

http://nebula.wsimg.com/5021e55e9a9c...&alloworigin=1

There are many points in a defence and it's best to cover as many strong ones as possible.

What date do you need to file a defence by ? (33 days after the date of the claim form if you did aos)

M1

Comment

As a reasonable person not involved in anything with these parking companies after reading the transcript I would say that the penalty for overstaying should be the day rate for the car park same as if you lose the ticket in a pay on exit car park plus say a 12 quid letter cost charged by most banks about time this Rip Off scheme was made unlawful.
                  Interesting to read views from others on LB

Comment

Hi M1, not sure about my defence date ,I only applied for AOS on friday afternoon,the claim was issued on the 10th Feb.

PG

Comment

Originally posted by Pompeyglenn View Post
                      Hi M1, not sure about my defence date ,I only applied for AOS on friday afternoon,the claim was issued on the 10th Feb.

PG
                      I make that 15th March then

M1

Comment

Hi M1, I've managed to get 3 photos this weekend of the parking signs (which are clearly displayed) as are cctv cameras. However the signs do say that the first hour is free parking (no tkt req'd) and it is free from 6pm-midnight. My son says they were there definitly less than 1hr. Do I post the photos on here as jpegs etc or send them via email etc.
                        Regards
                        PG

Comment

Here as jpegs is fine.

M1

Comment

Sorry, I'm having a bit of a thick moment here, how do i add/attach the photos from my desktop to here

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnPAhAdxZQ

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X