• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Robinson Way - Unauthorised Direct Debit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robinson Way - Unauthorised Direct Debit

Hi,

I'd be grateful for a little informed advice please. Logged on to internet banking this morning and found that Robinson Way have set up a direct debit on my account, called the bank who cancelled it but could only tell me that it had been set up yesterday, didn't know the amount they intended to claim or any other details. On the advice of my bank, I called RW and told them that if they attempt to access my account again without my permission that I will pursue them for attempted fraud.

Although they wanted to take me through 'security' I refused, and just gave them their DD reference number. I have never had any contact with this company, no conversations (apart from this morning) and no letters.

How is it possible for them to get my bank details and set up a DD without my permission? I'm quite worried by this and wonder if I have any avenue for redress.
    Tags: None

Re: Robinson Way - Unauthorised Direct Debit

If you have a debt with a company or creditor (loan) whom had your DD details, then its possible that sold they debt and passed on your banking details. Though they are certainly not allowed to set up a DD without your permission either in writing or verbally over the phone.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

To me, this looks rather like a case of "identity theft" - someone has posed as Faith-mm and has first incurred a debt in Faith's name, then given Faith's bank details on a Direct Debit slip to pay off the debt when Robbers Way started to bother them.

If Faith had troubled to go through the "security" procedure with Robbers Way, I'd expect the security check to fail.

Comment

Seen at least one other example of them doing this lately. Very very dodgy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
          Seen at least one other example of them doing this lately. Very very dodgy.
          Really?

If it is not ID "theft", shouldn't the matter be reported to Action Fraud and the OFT?

Comment

Hi all,

I see how it may be possible to have passed on my payment details however, outside of my utilities and council tax, I never ever pay companies by DD but always standing order for the very reason that I do not wish them to have my details and control over amounts. I think I'm going to send a letter to RW asking them to justify their placing a DD on my account without permission (nor any communication between us) and asking where they got my details from and how. I'll then decide what to do with the information, I guess the first port of call is to get the mandate they submitted from my bank.

Comment

I would do the following . Go to your bank and reclaim the payment under the direct debit guarantee scheme . Place in writng a note with your branch that, they are not to accept any direct debits from RW . Inform them that you consider this action fraudulent . Ring Rw and rrecord the call. You don't need to tell them as you are trying to prevent or detect a crime . Then after the call write to them signed for stating that you consider the action fraudulent and with an outline of of the conversation . If it turns out there has been fraud then do as CC suggests and report the matter to action fraud .

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                Really?

If it is not ID "theft", shouldn't the matter be reported to Action Fraud and the OFT?
                http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4891241

Comment

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ice-my-consent

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X