• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice sought on how to frame claim for ongoing rent arrears debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice sought on how to frame claim for ongoing rent arrears debt

Sorry to hear that I was hoping all would be well, or at least manageable.

As for the DCA mail, yes I think it would be a breach but not sure if as an "accidental" landlord you would be bound by it. Just return any mail as "not at this address" back in the post box, let them do the legwork as however much I sympathise with you, I sympathise with DCA's less. failing that just post it through the neighbours door.

Originally posted by Tigs View Post
    Thank you Tools. The house was utterly trashed - the squalor, dirt and grime is unbelievable, and the tenants had two young kids. An entire internal door is missing; food rotting in the oven amongst other things.

The arrears issues are on-going with the tenants filing a defence stating that they withheld the rent because I refused to carry out essential repairs which allegedly led to condensation and mould. Last Friday a surveyor inspected the property and concluded that any condensation was due to lifestyle rather than any default with the house.

At the beginning of my thread, I mentioned that the tenants are close relatives of my long time neighbours who are retired couple who I held in the highest regard. They had requested that I help their family. I gave the house keys to my neighbour in 2012 with the promise that they will look after the house. The rest is history as they say. They don't want to know me now and I have received some pretty sickening e-mails.

The tenants abandoned the house leaving bulky items inside and outside the house, and I have been left to pick up the pieces on top of the 5 - months rent arrears.

In the meanwhile, it has become obvious that debt collection agencies are after the ex-tenants. Judging by the correspondence that has arrived over the past week, the tenants are heavily in debt.

Would I be infringing any data protection regulations if I directed the debt collection agencies to the neighbour's address (this is the address the ex-tenants are using for correspondence currently, I'm trying to find out where they have moved to).
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X