• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Going around AND around in circles with Caboot for 5 years......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going around AND around in circles with Caboot for 5 years......

Hi LegalBEAGLES......

I am now at the end of my battle with Cabot and feel like giving in and setting up a repayment plan as I don't know where to go but any advice would be super.....

I have an old credit card debt of £450 that I stopped paying on October 2008 with a different DCA called Roxburghe who agreed my CCA was invalid and returned my debt to Vanquis who in turn sold it to Cabot.

A brief history....

* CCA request to Cabot Nov' 2008
    * Nothing received 'time up' letter sent Dec' 2008
    * Acct in dispute sent Dec' 2008
    * CCA received Feb 2009
    * CCA dispute Feb 2009
    * 'confused' admin charge letter sent Feb 2009 and refunded.
    * More correspondence till Jan 2010 then Cabot sent their 'final response letter' and said they wouldn't discuss it with me further.
    * Heard nothing till July 2013 which I ignored.
    * Heard again December 2013 with a 'special offer'
    * I sent a letter stating my position and the debt was in dispute so stop trying to collect on it
    * Received letter stating their 'final position' and basically pay up.
    * Now the telephone calls have started again home number and strangely my new mobile number which I have put in writing for them to stop.

But where do I go from here as neither of us is giving up. I'm going abroad to work in April until the foreseeable future with a massively reduced income but I don't want them hounding my parents with letters and telephone calls when I work away.

The CCA hasn't their signature, no original terms and conditions. I haven't paid anything to Cabot or the other DCA. Last payment was Oct 2008.

I feel like just paying up to get rid of them!

Any advice/help would be awesome thank you.
    Tags: cabot, cca

Re: Going around AND around in circles with Caboot for 5 years......

Hi and welcome to LB!

If you haven't paid anything since 2008, it wouldn't be wise to make a payment at this stage, as that would reset the SBd clock which is ticking away with just a few months to go. :clock: :clock:

With regards to the phone calls, you may want to look at this thread: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...om+harrassment

You don't have to inform them that you are moving abroad but it's good that your parents can keep an eye in the post for you just to be on the safe side. :thumb:

Comment

As this seems to have been going on for years, you could send them your final response as below:

Dear Sirs

Account Reference: XXXXXXXX

​I write with reference to your letter dated xx/xx/xxxx. This is now my final response because I have previously explained to you my position, which happens to coincide with current legislation namely s.127(3) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which, for ease and clarity, is quoted below;

​ 127(3) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a)(signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner).​

As is clear from the above, without an original "true copy" of the signed agreement containing all the prescribed terms and my name and address, this account is deemed unenforceable and no formal action can be taken so long as this remains the case. Even the recent McGuffick and Carey cases confirmed that a lender should submit upon request a valid true copy of the original CCA. The recent McGuffick and Carey cases confirmed that a lender should submit upon request a valid true copy of the original CCA. In MBNA v McCullagh; the Judge ruled;

"The terms and conditions are plainly not a copy of those on the original agreement. There may only be one difference identified (it is difficult to tell from the illegible copy of the original) but that is enough. The obligation is to provide "a copy of the executed agreement". This plainly cannot be a copy of the original agreement. It is not open to the claimant to say that the difference is 'de minimis'. They have to provide a copy of the original (reconstituted or otherwise)".

There are also several other recent cases that alleviate the Carey Judgment such as Hayes v HFC, at Blackpool county court in July 2010. She successfully overturned a charging order on her home. Judge Bell agreed that the reconstituted agreement was not accurate. Then you have the case of Kotecha v Phoenix in which Phoenix attempted to recover a debt owed on a HFC bank credit card. The appeal judges agreed the bank had not been able to supply an accurate copy of the original agreement. In Murphy v Cabot the recorder, Nigel Clayton, found the copy of the agreement was illegible. Similarly, in Paterson v Cabot Judge Russell decided the copy of that agreement was illegible, the terms and conditions were not the ones originally supplied. In both the Cabot cases they lost as they had clearly failed to produce a properly reconstituted document.​

In line with the most recent OFT Guidance surrounding unenforceability (October 2010), you should be aware that the OFT has stipulated the following:

Sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 outline the information creditors must provide to debtors under fixed-term, running account & Hire Agreements. Under these sections a debtor can pay £1 to get:
      • a copy of their agreement
      • copies of some of the other documents mentioned in their agreement
      • a statement of account

If this information is not provided within 12 working days the debt becomes unenforceable. This means a creditor cannot:
      • make the debtor pay the debt before they're supposed to
      • get a court judgment against the debtor

In light of the above, I consider this account to be unenforceable until such time you properly comply with my original s.78 request and send a photocopy of the original purported document, if it exists. If it does not, then you must confirm this to me in line with your licensing guidance, as detailed above.​ As this account is clearly unenforceable, I expect you to write back and confirm that no further action will be taken and that the account is now closed and no further correspondence will take place.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

Thank you ever so much Flaming Parrot.

I wasn't notified of your response so I wasn't being rude!

Many thanks for taking the time to respond with such a fantastic letter. I will send it off today.

Thank you x

Comment

Originally posted by smilyblondiegirl View Post
          Thank you ever so much Flaming Parrot.

I wasn't notified of your response so I wasn't being rude!

Many thanks for taking the time to respond with such a fantastic letter. I will send it off today.

Thank you x
          No worries!

If you want to be notified when there's a reply to the thread, click Settings on the top right corner, then the 2nd box down is subscriptions. Select the thread(s) and scroll down to the bottom of the list, click the Selected threads button and choose your subscription type. If you want to be notified as soon as a reply is posted, choose "Instantly, using email". :nerd:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X