• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County court ruling means £millions could be owed by credit card companies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County court ruling means £millions could be owed by credit card companies

County court ruling means £millions could be owed by credit card companies Posted on January 27, 2014 CREDIT CARD users could be sitting on unclaimed millions of pounds following a County Court decision today that means consumers have more time to make a claim against their credit card company when a purchase has gone wrong. […]

More...

Paul Tilley the QualitySolicitors Howlett Clarke lawyer involved in the case, said: “What this decision means is that there could be thousands of people out there who have purchased something on their credit card that was a misrepresented purchase – in our client’s case it was an investment that was fraudulent – but they are unaware that they can bring a claim against their credit card provider to recoup the money. The decision means that the 6 year clock to make their claim starts ticking from the point they notice the misrepresentation, not from the date they made the purchase.

“So someone who made a purchase more than 6 years ago, but today notices it was a misrepresented purchase may be able to make a claim against their credit card company as long as they inform the company of it. This applies equally where consumers have, for example, paid a deposit for an item using a credit card and paid the balance in cash or by cheque, such as transactions where a vehicle was purchased. While only the deposit is funded by the credit card, the full transaction price could potentially be recovered from the creditor.

“Few people realised before this case that credit card companies are liable for such purchases. It is a protection that debit cards do not offer. Credit cards just became even better with this case. People may have more time to check their credit card statements to see if there are any purchases that turned out badly. They could be able to get that money back with interest. With the spectre of Christmas debt preying on people’s minds there might be some respite from a purchase gone wrong hidden in a credit card statement somewhere.

QualitySolicitors Howlett Clarke’s client had part paid of her investments on her credit card, but by the time she realised she had been fraudulently sold the investments the company that had sold them to her had gone bust. She sought to recoup the money from her credit card provider MBNA.

Craig Holt, who heads up the QualitySolicitors network group, which has over 200 branches throughout the country, said: “Quality Solicitors network has always seen itself as a consumer champion and the work of QualitySolicitors Howlett Clarke’s is certainly reflective of that ethos. More importantly, this case opens up the way for consumers to exert their rights that they thought they had lost due to the passage of time, or because they weren’t aware of their rights under credit law.

“It’s not just families and other consumers who could be affected by the decision. Many small businesses who are struggling to access finance or credit from their banks have turned to credit cards in recent years. They too may have a claim.”

Discussion http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...nt-Paul-Tilley
    Last edited by Amethyst; 27th January 2014, 14:11:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: County court ruling means £millions could be owed by credit card companies

Oh No. That's another zillion unwanted phone calls from dodgy law firms ...

Comment

I really fear that the CMC's will be cold calling and getting on the band wagon with this one.

But well done PT, that is great news. I am now going to see what I may have purchased on a credit card that is no good.
      Last edited by TUTTSI; 27th January 2014, 18:00:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
        Oh No. That's another zillion unwanted phone calls from dodgy law firms ...
        I do hope not.
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
          I do hope not.
          If you think this ruling has potential for that, imagine Rico's case!

If he wins, I can CMC diving into that one

Comment

If they do NCF, Tuttsi will be watching and making sure they do not break the MOJ rules for their authorisation.

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
            If you think this ruling has potential for that, imagine Rico's case!

If he wins, I can CMC diving into that one

Comment

Lol!, like it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X