• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capquest. Strange Letter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capquest. Strange Letter?

Hi all,

First of all I would like to thank everyone on here for all the fantastic help and advice I have received in the past. Oh, and I also do not think that it is too late to wish you all a VERY Happy New Year!!

I would be very grateful for some more advice on a letter I have received from capquest. It is not like any I have received in the past and I also can't find anything about this from searching the forums.
    The letter says,

'We'd like to offer you a settlement figure to clear your outstanding balance'
    'We are in a position to offer a significantly discounted settlement. We can consider settlements over a period of up to 3 months'
    To talk about this offer, just call us on 0333...Our team will work with you to agree a settlement best suited to your circumstances.
    'Should you not be in a position to consider this settlement, you do not need to contact us'

As this debt was defaulted in 2007 and is no longer showing on my Credit Report from Noddle, I am wondering if this is a last ditch attempt to trick me in to contacting them and acknowledging the debt, or, could this be my last chance before they hit me with a LBA or Court summons ? I am very concerned about this letter and if it has been sent 'to scare me', well. it's worked. This nicey,nicey approach is very disconcerting!

Thankyou for reading this long post and I look forward to reading any help and advice you may have.

Many thanks,
    T&W
    Tags: None

Re: Capquest. Strange Letter?

Originally posted by tiredandweary View Post
    Hi all,

First of all I would like to thank everyone on here for all the fantastic help and advice I have received in the past. Oh, and I also do not think that it is too late to wish you all a VERY Happy New Year!!

I would be very grateful for some more advice on a letter I have received from capquest. It is not like any I have received in the past and I also can't find anything about this from searching the forums.
    The letter says,

'We are in a position to offer a significantly discounted settlement. We can consider settlements over a period of up to 3 months'
    To talk about this offer, just call us on 0333...Our team will work with you to agree a settlement best suited to your circumstances.
    'Should you not be in a position to consider this settlement, you do not need to contact us'

As this debt was defaulted in 2007 and is no longer showing on my Credit Report from Noddle, I am wondering if this is a last ditch attempt to trick me in to contacting them and acknowledging the debt, or, could this be my last chance before they hit me with a LBA or Court summons ? I am very concerned about this letter and if it has been sent 'to scare me', well. it's worked. This nicey,nicey approach is very disconcerting!

Thankyou for reading this long post and I look forward to reading any help and advice you may have.

Many thanks,
    T&W
    Not an expert (one will be along) but it sounds as if it's Statute Barred, which would explain that kind offer

Comment

Just ignore them.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
        Not an expert (one will be along) but it sounds as if it's Statute Barred, which would explain that kind offer
        ODC Just ignore them.
        See?

Comment

Hi MissFM and ODC.
          Thank you both for the swift reply :tinysmile_grin_t:.
          I thought about ignoring them but I had to make sure first. :fear:
          I will update this post if any further nice offers arrive.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Again, many many thanks.

T&W

Comment

After reading so many letters from DCAs that we have received we realise that the wording can lull some int believing that they want to help when in fact they only want the money as much as they can get.

Comment

Hi Wales01man.

Thankyou for your reply.
              Yes, it was definately the wording of the letter that bothered me, especially the part saying that 'I do not need to contact them'. There was also no mention of the amount of discount being offered.
              I first posted about this debt, and others, in 2011. Alas, due to my naivety, things like this have, and still do, bother me greatly. However, with the help and advice I have received from the great people on here, I am still able to cope.

Many thanks.

T&W

Comment

DCA letters a specifically designed to get you to ring their illiterate pre pubescent threat monkeys who will lie to you, make all sorts of promises and threats to get more money out of you so they can make more commission. Thats all this letter is designed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                  It does sound like it's SBd and it's probably best to send them the SBd letter to let them know you are aware of it, as it's against OFT debt collection guidance to keep pursuing a debtor that has informed the DCA that they won't be paying a debt due to it being SBd.

Dear SirsRe: Statute Barred Account - Numbered – XXXXXXXX

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself. I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 "an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued".

I would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that "it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period". The last acknowledgement to this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that "continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statue barred could amount to harassment". I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

I have also started receiving these letters with the same offer from CapQuest for a debt from 2008, aprox £900, that time barred in May 2013.

I decided to telephone them today.. the conversation went like this;

Agent - "You have an outstanding amount or £923.00 from T Mobile Mr....., how would you like to suggest paying this."

Me - "I will give your five pounds to clear it, a once only offer."

Agent - "That is far to low sir, you will need to pay more than that to clear the debt, but I am happy to take a five pounds payment and set up a direct debt for a regular payment."

Me - "No, i am giving you five pounds to clear that debt, you either except it or you will get nothing from me."

Agent - "We can not accept five pounds sir."

Me - "Ok, well you will get nothing from me."

Agent - "Why is that?"

Me - "Because it is time barred."

Agent - "No it is not sir, it is not statute barred."

Me - "Yes it is the last payment and contact was in July 2008, it is therefore time barred."

Agent - "no sir, the last payment and contact was in May 2008."

Me - "Exactly."

Agent - "Statute barred is six years sir, and you have now acknowedleged this debt and it will reset its self."

Me - "No, in Scotland it is five years, as you well know."

Agent - "Yes sir you are correct, I will need to revert this back to my superior to decide if it is statue barred. Meanwhile I can take your payment of five pounds now and close the account."

Me - "no, the offer is off the table you had your chance to take it earlier. Now please stop sending me letters."

agent - "we will continute to send you letters until the debt is paid"

Me - "I have recorded this call and I am sending it to trading standard.,"

PHONE WENT DEAD

Comment

Originally posted by tiredandweary View Post
                      Hi all,

The letter says,

Many thanks,
                      T&W
                      I had one recently myself my debt is slightly unusual in so much as its a very early student loan (1993) and I left University early because of a serious illness while I have never actually earned enough to go over the repayment threshold the SLC lost every deferment form I ever sent them they then bullied me into paying a small amount each month by contacting my landlord directly the SLC then lost lmy payments and where told unequivocally that until they find them they get no money. instead of dealing with it they lumped it up with all the defaulters and got a CCJ at the Northampton County court bulk handling centre, that was in 1997. Since then they have sold the debt on numerous times and it has now thanks to that pratt Vince Cable ended up with Capquest this is just the latest ploy I have a file nearly a foot thick including letters on my behalf from my MP, it makes no difference.

so just ignore the ruddy thing after a few years they have spent far more on admin than they will ever gain and it looks like hopefully I may yet go to my Grave with this debt unpaid and I am planning to have a post box on my gravestone just to annoy them some more.

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans0108 View Post
                        I had one recently myself my debt is slightly unusual in so much as its a very early student loan (1993) and I left University early because of a serious illness while I have never actually earned enough to go over the repayment threshold the SLC lost every deferment form I ever sent them they then bullied me into paying a small amount each month by contacting my landlord directly the SLC then lost lmy payments and where told unequivocally that until they find them they get no money. instead of dealing with it they lumped it up with all the defaulters and got a CCJ at the Northampton County court bulk handling centre, that was in 1997. Since then they have sold the debt on numerous times and it has now thanks to that pratt Vince Cable ended up with Capquest this is just the latest ploy I have a file nearly a foot thick including letters on my behalf from my MP, it makes no difference.

so just ignore the ruddy thing after a few years they have spent far more on admin than they will ever gain and it looks like hopefully I may yet go to my Grave with this debt unpaid and I am planning to have a post box on my gravestone just to annoy them some more.
                        Good morning,

You have post on a thread nearly 3 years old to avoid confusion and to get proper advice it would be advantageous to start your own thread.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X