• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dissolution of civil partnership - liability for debt and tax evasion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissolution of civil partnership - liability for debt and tax evasion

Going to be splitting from civil partner of 6 years... struggling to work out what my liability is for debt, and concerned that I will end up being liable for more as worried that partner is not declaring their income correctly.

Partner has own business, but never seems to mention tax being paid or seems to pay much/any- our finances are fairly joint and open and I know there are no savings so where is the tax being paid out from? I am not a partner in this business, not employed by the business and not involved in the tax returns, but do help with the work on a regular basis, unpaid. I am employed and work out of the home.

My concern is that on paper, if partner is not declaring tax correctly, it will appear that they earn much less than I do, being employed. I am worried that they will say that because I have a higher disposable income on paper, I must take more of the debt.

The debt is in the region of £30,000 spread over credit cards, shopping accounts, car payments, etc. Only one credit card and two shopping accounts are in my name, the rest are in partners name. We do not have any joint debts, but the debt was technically spent jointly.

The house is rented and is in partners name solely.

I will be leaving all assets, except a small number of furniture items given to me by family, and my personal effects - clothes etc.

Can anyone advise as to what level of liability I have for the debt, and whether that liability changes if partner tries to claim they earn much less than me? and whether I can barter any of the debt considering that all of the items that the debt was created buying - furniture, household items etc, will be left behind and retained by my partner?
    Tags: None

Re: Dissolution of civil partnership - liability for debt and tax evasion

Hi Greensparrow and to LB

Your situation sounds a little complex and I'm really posting to bump it for those who know more about the legal ramifications.

FWIW, I would think you would each be liable for your own debts, etc., unless you had jointly signed up for a liability.

It's not wise to mess with the tax man and your ex should certainly regularize this issue at the earliest opportunity.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X