• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claiming deceased persons belongings with no will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming deceased persons belongings with no will

My father passed away 4 months ago and left no will. He was unmarried but had a girlfriend who he lived with for the last 6 months before he died (the property is her mothers). As such all of my fathers belongings (which i believe revert to me as sole next of kin) are at her home and she is not allowing me access to them.

Since his funeral, I have not seen her and she is refusing to answer my phone calls or reply to any of my letters. Therefore I got a lawyer to write to her 2 months ago asking her to release the belongings but she has still not responded.

What can I do to get the belongings back? The value of the possessions is less than £3000, are not jointly owned and are mostly of sentimental value.
    Tags: None

Re: Claiming deceased persons belongings with no will

Welcome.
    Sorry to hear of your loss.
    I would think that you will have to apply for a grant of letters of administration.
    This will make you the administrator of your late father's estate and therefore the person who has the legal right to deal with his possessions in the set order of priority. Once you are legally responsible the courts will be on your side, if it should unfortunately come to that.

Comment

Why didnt the solicitor advise this?

Comment

Make a complaint of theft and get a crime number. Then go back and inform her that the police are 'now investigating'.

Comment

Can it be theft when its the property of the deceaseds estate for which probate or letters of administration have not been granted?

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
            Make a complaint of theft and get a crime number. Then go back and inform her that the police are 'now investigating'.
            And then she'll just throw the stuff away.

Get Letters of Administration and then, if she hasn't returned the items or allowed them to be collected, send her a Letter Before Action demanding the return of the items or value thereof, rating the value at £5,000.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X