• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Nat west business loan - cant find agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nat west business loan - cant find agreement

Nat west can not provide me with a copy of my loan agreement, they want yo call in the loan. we are making monthly payments that they say will not clear the loan within. The timeframe that they think it should be cleared. Without the agreement how do we know how much we owe and by which date it should be repaid? Any help please?
    Tags: None

Re: Nat west business loan - cant find agreement

Originally posted by Jackien View Post
    Nat west can not provide me with a copy of my loan agreement, they want yo call in the loan. we are making monthly payments that they say will not clear the loan within. The timeframe that they think it should be cleared. Without the agreement how do we know how much we owe and by which date it should be repaid? Any help please?
    Business loan? now then is it a limited company? or Sole Trader?

Also, how much was the initial loan?
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Sole trader and £250k taken out in 2006

Comment

Is loan secured?

Comment

Yes, secured against the property although business hasn't traded for over 5 years and I live there.

Comment

Sole trader and £250k taken out in 2006
            £250k?

Then its not regulated as the Act applies to loans upto £25k way back in 2006
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

I would have thought that if they cannot provide you with the original loan agreement, or any proof that the amount you owe is exactly what you owe in accordance with that agreement, then they cannot collect any money from you for any reason other than for them looking after your deeds.

Get some free legal advice as I'm sure if there is no physical contract there is no binding contract.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...ing-debts.html

May be worth a quick look, but if they don't have any version of your agreement whatsoever then you may have a good case.

Comment

Sorry to sound ignorant but what does it mean when you say not covered by the Act? Sorry (a dumb blonde)

Comment

Will do and thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                    £250k?

Then its not regulated as the Act applies to loans upto £25k way back in 2006

Still doesn't

Comment

So, is that good or bad? Does that mean as not covered by the Act they don't have to provide me with a copy of the original agreement. I'm not disputing there was a loan I'm just concerned how they know how much I owe them and for how long I need to pay. What started as a simple request is now becoming an issue!

Comment

This is a business loan so you do not have the protection of the consumer credit act for this amount of cfredit.

But i take it you are not contesting that the consideration was not made( you had the money). so what is it you are contesting, is it the amount you are repaying , is it the interest they are applying is it the charges.

Have you been receiving annual statements, do you consider the way the account has been conducted by the bank to be unfair.

You are going to have to come up with a reason why, otherwise they can get a judgment based on the probability that an agreement was signed, and that you are just trying to get out of repaying it.

Comment

Sorry to sound ignorant but what does it mean when you say not covered by the Act? Sorry (a dumb blonde)
                          http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...e-1974-act-etc

4Exemption relating to businesses

Before section 17 of the 1974 Act insert—
                          “16B
                          Exemption relating to businesses

(1)
                          This Act does not regulate—

(a)
                          a consumer credit agreement by which the creditor provides the debtor with credit exceeding £25,000, or

(b)
                          a consumer hire agreement that requires the hirer to make payments exceeding £25,000,

Comment

Thank you for the info I understand that now. In regard to the loan I took a payment holiday in 2009 when payments resumed and I had an amount if money available I asked them if I could settle it. They did not respond, after 6 months or so I received a letter from them saying I had to make higher payments as the Loan would not be cleared by the time it was meant to be. At this point I asked how much I owed and when should the loan be repaid and in fact can I please have a copy if the agreement as mine seems to be missing. I have not received a statement since 2009 when I took the. 9 month payment holiday. Now they have said they do not have a copy of the loan agreement. I posted here in the hope of getting some words of wisdom and I could tell them how it is rather than the other way round!! Banks seem to bully people. I wanted to be on top of things.
                            Last edited by Jackien; 13th January 2014, 00:41:AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                              This is a business loan so you do not have the protection of the consumer credit act for this amount of cfredit.

But i take it you are not contesting that the consideration was not made( you had the money). so what is it you are contesting, is it the amount you are repaying , is it the interest they are applying is it the charges.

Have you been receiving annual statements, do you consider the way the account has been conducted by the bank to be unfair.

You are going to have to come up with a reason why, otherwise they can get a judgment based on the probability that an agreement was signed, and that you are just trying to get out of repaying it.

From my point of view, the lender has required the repayment of a loan from the customer that the customer is disputing as to whether it is the correct amount in accordance with the original loan contract.

If the lender cannot produce a dated original loan agreement with all the relevant details on it then the amount demanded will always be in dispute as the lender is unable to refer to the original agreement to prove their figures are correct.

It's not whether there is probability of an agreement being signed and trying to get out of it, it is the about the amount being claimed that is In dispute and the lender will have to prove this to be a true figure which I don't believe they ever could without the original contract so there will always be a disputed claim from both sides.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X