• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Aktiv Kapital default on credit file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aktiv Kapital default on credit file

Hi,
    Please could somebody help me? I was declared bankrupt in 2010 and discharged in 2011 and listed all of the companies with which I had debts. I have just downloaded my credit file with a view to start cleaning it up, as detailed on the Money Saving Expert site, however have discovered a default listed with Aktiv Kapital, yet I do not recognise this company name and though that all of this had been settled due to the bankruptcy. There is also a default listed with Bank of Scotland Preference account which does not show as settled. Could anyone please advise what I need to do to start sorting these issues out?
    I would be so appreciative of any help you can offer as I feel I have buried my head in the sand for too long now, and it is about time I took control again (hopefully)!
    Many thanks in advance,
    Curlyred
    Tags: None

Re: Aktiv Kapital default on credit file

After looking into this further, I believe that this must have been my credit card which I held with Virgin, however the debt to virgin was included within my bankruptcy. Does anyone know if this means it should be showing as settled? If so would it be Activ Kapital I need to contact in order to get it amended? I am very wary of contacting them having read some of the previous posts about problems people have had dealing with them! Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
    Curlyred

Comment

Yes, if the debt has been sold on and a default entered under the buyer, they have to correct the record just as the original creditor would have to.

Default date can be no later than your bankruptcy date, and the entry should be marked in some way to show that it is now satisfied as of the bankruptcy discharge date.

Comment

Originally posted by curlyred View Post
        There is also a default listed with Bank of Scotland Preference account which does not show as settled. Could anyone please advise what I need to do to start sorting these issues out?
        Was this a joint account? If so did they go bankrupt as well?

Presuming yours on your own, then again the default date should be before or on the bankruptcy order date. That is the important thing.

Technically if covered by the bankruptcy it should also again be marked as satisfied per the discharge date. You would want that corrected if you can, but it is the default and date of that which is the truly crucial thing. The account will fall off your report 6 years from the default date, whether it is marked as satisfied or not.

Comment

Thank you so much for your advice.

It was only me that went bankrupt, and everything was included within the bankruptcy yet these two are not marked in anyway to show they are satisfied, so I guess I need to write to them with copies of the bankruptcy paperwork and ask that they amend my records it to reflect this.

I also have an entry which appears to have been duplicated, is this something that should be rectified? Or is it of no importance? I had a small debt with Egg, and they are listed and showing as satisfied, yet the company they sold the debt to are also showing with the same details. These both show that they are satisfied but does it mater that they are showing twice?

Thank you so much once again for your advice.

Comment

Depends on how the original default is marked. The CRAs have over the past few years (and more now) been implementing "debt assigned" flags. For example on Experian it would say "debt assigned to CAIS member" or something similar. If there is such a flag recorded on the original default then Experian et al claim that only YOU can see the original for information, and anyone else searching your report would only see the newer one.

If no debt assigned flag is there, then technically the old one should have been removed so there is just one visible to people searching your report.

Saying the above, in this case taking a pragmatic view, as long as the default dates of both are on or before your bankruptcy date an extra default is not going to make any difference to you. You have a bankruptcy order on your report that is a bigger, badder, nastier black mark that any default. As long as the defaults clear off your report by the time the bankruptcy order does, wrong or not, their impact on your is practically zero by comparison.

Comment

Once again thank you.

I am going to go through it thoroughly later and make sure all the dates are as they should be, and will double check the Egg entry as well. As you say though, these are all going to drop off my file in a few years anyway.

Should I be thinking about trying improve my credit or rebuild it in any way yet, or would it be best to wait until the 6 years are over? I am just thinking about possibly getting a mortgage in years to come and obviously would need to be not too high risk for the lender.

Comment

A mortgage lender is likely to ask if you have ever been bankrupt, so you may have some level of difficulty even when your report is clear. People say that going via a broker who knows the best companies to approach can be the best option.

As far as building a record up, there are a few things you can do. A blank file when everything drops off doesn't look good.

- Sub prime credit card with a limit of a few £100 that you pay off every month? Vanquis? Cap one? Aqua?
                - Phone contract if you can get it.
                - Credit builder prepaid card? - That one is of very dubious dubious worth.

That is only going to repair things a little, but some positive info is better than none.

Comment

Yes I will most certainly approach a broker in the future for my mortgage needs, as they will hopefully be able to point me in the right direction to avoid lots of hassle.

So if I clean my credit file, do you think I would be able to get any of the credit re-building options you mentioned without having to wait until the 6 years have elapsed? Any little helps I guess....

Comment

So Curlyred, I gather you didn't lose your house after your bankruptcy? This is the one thing that stops me doing it. Fear of losing my home. My mortgage is split in two, one part being over 10 years, which ends in 4 years time. At that point, my mortgage payments will effectively halve. It would be a massive blow if I lost my home at this stage.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X