• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Siblings disagreeing on property inheritance.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siblings disagreeing on property inheritance.

My brother and I are executors of our Mother's will and have inherited her estate 50/50, which includes her ex-council home which she bought many years ago. This property will be subject to a compulsory purchase in a few years time due the estate being regenerated.

As cannot sell on the open market the Council have made us an early offer which I would like to accept. However, my brother disagrees and wants to rent the property out until such time as the CP comes into effect. He has offered to 'buy me out' but at a less favourable amount then I would get if we sold. I have refused. I feel that if he wants the property to make the extra income for himself, (I don't want the hassle of having tenants and a that involves!), he should buy me out for half of the Council's offer. He is welcome to the rental income after that.

So we are at stalemate. Probate has been granted, and he has the Deeds. Should I be worried that he has the Deeds? Is there anything I can do? Is there any advice I can benefit from with this very unhappy situation?

Many thankis.
    Tags: None

Re: Siblings disagreeing on property inheritance.

'less favourable amount then I would get if we sold''

Do you mean under the compulsory purchase order offer by the council or on the open market ?

How much less favourable is his offer?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi,,what a horrible predicament.

Personally I would seek professional advice on this issue.....cos nothing brings out the nasty in people than death/wills/inheritance/money/greed.

Good Luck

Sorry Ame,,my post crossed with yours xx
      Last edited by Inca; 5th January 2014, 16:42:PM. Reason: crossed posts

Comment

Can something be done about the draughts in here?

Earlier, I posted that the property should be insured for the full rebuilding costs, lest it "goes on fire" - a perfectly possible event, if a house is left empty and vandals get in - but the wind seems to have blown that suggestion away.

Comment

Less than half of what the council have offered us. So he wants me accept this, have the rental income and then he has the belief that when the compulsory purchase order is made he will get a higher price. CP offers have to made on 'market value between willing partners. I wish to have the capital, closure and move on.

Comment

If you would accept the council offer now, then you need to put half of their offer to your brother as your final offer to sell the house to him.

If he refuses and you do not wish to negotiate with him then you need to insist on a managing agent for letting the property, to be paid directly out of the rental income, and the remaining rental income to be split equally 50/50.

I would put the terms/offer in writing to him, but yes, as Inca said seek advice if it goes any further without agreement.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yes, he should pay half of the present market value. I can't see what possible argument he could have for paying less.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X