• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hassled and Threatened all the time - Lowell Group & Mackenzie Hall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hassled and Threatened all the time - Lowell Group & Mackenzie Hall

I really need help. I have tried searching for advice already but I need to post my own because I dont understand a lot of the terminology used in the threads and posts.

A bit about me: I am struggling financially to make a go at things,I have had to move back to my dad's place and save money and look for a job, I am currently on job seekers,I really need to move out and i dont want to be hassled any more.

I have Lowell chasing me and Mackenzie hall for various debts:

Mackenzie hall is chasing me for a Lloyds TSB Credit card for £660
    When I was at university I was given a credit card, I have been through a lot of financial hardship and failed to keep up with the re-payments, I dont think its fair or right that Lloyds gave on my home address to this debt collection agency , they write me letters in big red writing and call the home phone which disturbs my father and brother. I dont know how to get them to stop, I wanted to set up a payment plan but I dont think this is legal.

Lowell is chasing me for Barclays bank payment of £94. this happened when I was paying the rent on behalf of a shared house, they started making unessery bank charges to me which I tried to dispute but they kept adding up.

Lowell is also chasing me for £102 owed to Orange. This happened when I had a contract with Orange mobile, they overcharged me one month and took the bill twice from my account which left me overdrawn and the charges all started piling up in my bank account. As you can see it's just been a vicscous spiral of bank charges and mistakes on their behalf.

I dont know what to do, they call me all the time, and send me letters threatning to take me to court. I have an overdraft of £1,600 which I have agreed to pay £1 per month to get them off my back.

Recently they sent me a letter saying they will take me to court for the £102 owed to Orange and they will charge me £30 for court fees and £5.36 for interest. They have threatened to send round advisors to my address and they have threatened to take my stuff.

Please could any one let me know what to do in simple terms.... Thanks

Re: Hassled and Threatened all the time - Lowell Group & Mackenzie Hall

They give your address to the DCA because without it how would they contact you?
    They cant come round to take anything unless they have a court order
    Firstly don't worry to much help will come along on here so you can sort this

Comment

Thanks for your message,
      Yeah I know why they gave it I just wondered if legally they are allowed to pass on my home address and phone number..

Comment

Would have thought so unless someone knows otherwise.
        There are ways to stop them calling you others will advise

Comment

Hi
          So MH are writing and calling you at home is that correct?

I would send them this
          Dear Sirs​
          Account No: XXXXXXXX
          Please note I do not acknowledge any debt to either you or your clients. Please also note that I will only communicate in writing

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing. I require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only. I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 as well as Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.
          I ought to draw your attention to the recent Harrison v Link Financial case in which HH Judge Chambers outlined the predatory way in which the account holder was hounded; I quote, from this judgment;
          "Cumulatively and damningly is what I find to be the way that MBNA and the Defendant went about recovering their debt. I am satisfied that the Claimant’s description of the way that he was hounded by his creditors is essentially correct not least in the use of “non-traceable” telephone calls. It seems to me that such conduct has no proper function in the recovery of consumer debt"
          If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of s.127 of the Communications Act (2003) and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you may be liable to a substantial fine and/or other sanctions as they see fit. Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company may be recorded and used in evidence and I expect this harassment to cease immediately.
          Yours faithfully,

Sign using a computer font

Comment

With regard to the debts in general
            I am guessing that they are fairly new, when was the credit card taken out?

As for the debts in general the orange debt and the credit card debt (if newish) probably need to have repayment plans set up on them. If you are not working or struggling financially you could offer £1 per month. EDIT just noticed you are on JSA, I would send them all a copy of your award letter and offer £1 per month for now
            They will probably ask for proof of income/expenditure which you do not have to give but if you really want to pay these debts they can be helpful
            https://www.mymoneysteps.org/

If you want to talk to someone then National debt line are very good and free.
            Your debts are really very low in the great scheme of things although that doesn't stop you worrying about them. I know of people with debts of 45000 up to 150000

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
              As for the debts in general the orange debt and the credit card debt (if newish) probably need to have repayment plans set up on them. If you are not working or struggling financially you could offer £1 per month. EDIT just noticed you are on JSA, I would send them all a copy of your award letter and offer £1 per month for now
              That would prevent the debts from ever becoming statute barred - are you sure that's wise?

As for moving out, if she's sufficiently pretty and winsome, she might be able to move in with me. I could do with a housekeeper... :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                That would prevent the debts from ever becoming statute barred - are you sure that's wise?

As for moving out, if she's sufficiently pretty and winsome, she might be able to move in with me. I could do with a housekeeper... :grin:
                I know and I did think about that but the op seemed young and keen to repay. Of course I would say do your worst.

I could be your housekeeper but I ddon't think I'm your type lol

Comment

Thank you very much this helps a lot!

Comment

With regard to the debts in general
                    I am guessing that they are fairly new, when was the credit card taken out?

They will probably ask for proof of income/expenditure which you do not have to give but if you really want to pay these debts they can be helpful
                    https://www.mymoneysteps.org/

If you want to talk to someone then National debt line are very good and free.
                    Your debts are really very low in the great scheme of things although that doesn't stop you worrying about them. I know of people with debts of 45000 up to 150000

Hope that helps
                    I already set up a direct debit for the overdraft but I do not agree I should pay barclays bank charges or the orange debt. It was their fault and it made it so much worse for me, they are constantly harrassing me. It was 5 or 6 years ago this happened, I've lived in various places since it happened, but now Im living at my dads and they are constantly harassing me

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post

What does Statute barred mean? I only want to pay back what I owe, which is the overdraft and credit card, I have set up already a £1 a month to pay it back. I owe this and accept it. but the rest were not my fault, it was mistakes on their behalf which made my situation worse and worse. It was 5-6 years ago all of this happened.

I don't feel like being a housekeeper :P :P hahahahahaha

Comment

Hi
                        So MH are writing and calling you at home is that correct?

I would send them this
                        THANK YOU :santa2: :candycane4:

Comment

You should cancel the DD immediately. The Leeds Losers (Lowell) can pretty much take what they want fro a DD. Much safer to complete a Standing order instead. That way you stay in control

Comment

Ok Statute barred means that a debt is no longer enforceable if no payment or acknowledgement has been made is 6 years . To be warned there are provisos

Can you tell us when the CC was taken out, when they defaulted you (if you remember) when you made your last payment or written acknowledgement
                            Can you tell us about the orange account , when did you make the last payment or written acknowledgement .

If you are not sure of default dates have a look at your credit file, experian do a free trial just so long as you remember to cancel it. This will give you a default adte and some payment history

Most importantly when was the credit card taken out?

Oh and BTW I wouldn't want to be a housekeeper for Cloggy anyway, I would get no work done he would have me laughing too much. He also knows far too much about things you would never catch me doing !

Comment

I also had problem with Lowell and other DCA. this site is very good place for advice and everyone is very helpful here.
                              If i was you i would get a recent copy of credit report from experian and equifax. which would cost you £2 each. or you can open one month free membership with them and you could cancel them couple of days before renewal date.
                              can you let us know 1. when was the past payment made to these scum bags, 2. get your latest credit report from both of them above agencies and check the default dates if its over six years old then the debt would be statue barred. 3. Do not acknowledge to them that the debt is yours, when they ring tell them wrong number and the person they are looking for dont live there and also dont know the person. 4. if you had obtained your credit report in the past i do hope you still got them as that could be the key because some DCA like placing duplicate defaults on the same account.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X