• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim Form Received - BW Legal / Lowell / Littlewoods - STRUCK OUT !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim Form Received - BW Legal / Lowell / Littlewoods - STRUCK OUT !!

Firstly, I just want to say how useful this forum has been in helping me understand the situation I find myself in (im new here, I hope I am doing this right). I am now in a position to try and move forward and am asking for any help that you can give me.

I have received a Claim Form, claimant Lowell Portfolio 1 LTD being dealt with by BW Legal in the Northampton County Court. It refers to a Littlewoods account opened in July 2007.

Particulars of Claim:
    "The Claimant’s Claim is for the sum of 3.531.83 being monies due from the Defendant to the Claimant under a Mail Order agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1973 between the Defendant and Shop Direct Finance Company Limited

Under account reference XXXXXXXX and assigned to the Claimant on 26/02/2010 notice of which has been given to the defendant. The defendant failed to maintain the contractual payment under the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served and not complied with.

The Claim also included statutory interest pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 ar a rate of 8.00% per annum (a daily rate of 0.57) from the date of assignment of the agreement to the date of issue (27/11/2013) being an amount of 781.47"

My initial questions and ones I hope someone can help with are:

If I go onto the moneyclaim website and do an Acknowledgment of Service, is it still possible to negotiate with the Claimants if I choose to not defend the claim further down the line or does filling in an AOS mean I must submit a defence?

I have since found documents which show that the account was opened in July 2007, so post-April 2007 which is a date I often see people mention on the forums. I have seen on this website and others that if the account was opened before April 2007 then in many cases a CCA request can be sent often leading to the Claimant not being able to provide a signed agreement. I have also found documents they sent me when the account was active called ‘fixed loan agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974’ of which I have two copies for orders I placed, both with their signature on but not mine, (I was supposed to sign/date both copies) one copy was supposed to be returned to them but never was.
    Do these documents show that I have not signed an agreement or is this not valid for accounts open after April 2007?

Should I (and who should I, BW Legal or Lowell) contact the Claimant and try and discuss ways to avoid a judgement, I would obviously prefer to agree monthly payments with them without the need to go to court. I have also seen mentioned Tomlin Orders and wondered if this is something I should be looking into or mentioning to them?

I started to get into payment difficulties when the account reached £770.23 in July 2009 since then they have added interest etc. taking it to £2585.36 and now since adding the interest mentioned in the particulars this has risen again to £3366.83 and £3531.83 after court/solicitor fees.

I just need to get my head around these initial questions and then I will understand better what I should do next. The advice on this forum is so valuable, thank you in advance to anyone who has taken the time to read this.

-me

Re: Claim Form Received - BW Legal / Lowell / Littlewoods - Help Needed

Hi 2719rt, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

Re the April 2007 bit.
    Contracts before then, if they didn't have certain terms on them (the 'prescribed terms'), are irredeemably unenforceable; that is, they cannot be enforced via a court.
    Contracts after that date, the court has discretion on whether to enforce or alter, depending on the facts of the case.

As things stand at present, you have received a court claim from an entity who state that they are the current owners of a debt allegedly owed by you, & they are legally entitled to recover same.

You can dispute the claim; it may be that they have insufficient evidence to actually prove their case.

Or you could come to an arrangement with them.
    If it were me & if I decided to go this route, the county court mediation service might be worth a go.
    http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/mediation

Either way it is important that you acknowledge service of the claim asap, as by not doing so they could win by default.
    See our Amethyst's guide on how to do so.
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-a-court-claim
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thank you for your reply, it is nice to hear back from someone!

I am still worried that if I do a AOS then I am forced into defending myself and BW Legal will not be willing to negotiate as will only want to take it to a judgement. Does any one know how likely these companies are to negotiate and if they are willing to do this at this stage? Should I contact them before doing an AOS or after?

I have a week until the first 14 days are up but understand that I should do a AOS as soon as possible, I am just hoping for clarification to the above.

I would really like to discuss ways to avoid a judgement, I would obviously prefer to agree monthly payments with them without the need to go to court. As previously mentioned, I have also heard of Tomlin Orders and wondered if this is something I should be looking into or mentioning to them?

Thanks
      :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Don't pay the interest of £781.47 and check the interest under the contract if settling.

s74 County Courts Act 1984 and section 2 of the County Courts (Interest on Judgement Debts)Order 1991 is a statutory bar on the Claimants claim to interest under s69 of the county courts act 1984.

M1

Comment

Fwiw, an AoS doesn't really confirm or deny any liability; it does buy you some valuable extra time, though.

If it were me, I would acknowledge service, & send Lowells a CCA 77-79 request, just to see what they have got in the way of evidence.
          It only costs £1, & they can't proceed with enforcement until they comply.

A CPR 31.14 request to BWL may also produce results.

You can always negotiate further down the line, & probably be in a stronger position to do so.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thank you for your help with this. I will defiantly do the AOS now after your clarification. If I find on a similar thread a template for the CCA 77-79 I am assuming nothing much needs to be changed and I should just send this off with the £1 (postal order?).

I am not as clued up from reading other threads on CPR 31.14 requests. Any help would be great but I will of course research this. I guess it is just helpful to have things confirmed by people who know!

So..
            Do the AOS
            Send a CCA 77-79 request to Lowells (not BWL)
            Send a CPR 31.14 request to BWL (not Lowells)

I really appreciate this help! :santa_smiley:

Comment

Posts 18 and 19 here in the link

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ue-from-lowell

are the CPR 31.14 request and CCA request

Comment

Thank you Gorang. I have done an AOS now, and was just about to look for that information - you have saved me much time.

Comment

RE: "The CPR request goes to Drydens who have issued the claim, the CCA request to Lowell who own the account, both by recorded delivery so you can track them. Send a copy of your CCA request to Drydens as well." found on the thread given to me by Gorang, does this mean I should do the same and send the CCA request to both Lowell and BW Legal? I assume I send £1 in both letters? :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

does this mean I should do the same and send the CCA request to both Lowell and BW Legal? I assume I send £1 in both letters?
                    CPR to BWL
                    CCA with fee to Lowell
                    Copy of CCA WITHOUT fee to BWL, as you are only informing BWL that you have made the CCA request to Lowell

Comment

Thanks Gordon...I am probably over thinking this now and worrying about small things, but when I send the CPR and CCA to BWL can I send them in the same envelope, or is it best to treat them as two separate letters.

I have prepared the letters ready to send.

Mystery1 in post #4 mentions not paying the interest, if it comes to negotiating with BW Legal how do I go about telling them that I do not see these charges are fair. If the money they are claiming is made up of default charges can these too be taken off the total?

Thanks again to anyone reading this.

Comment

Same envelope will do but i'd add a small note to the bottom Also Enc :- xxx

Just explain their "mistake" that the law i quoted says they are not entitled to it.

M1

Comment

Thank you M1 for that, I understand it better now!

Comment

Hi,

Just wanted to come on and do and update. The letters were sent and I am still waiting for replies. I am thinking I will need to ring them tomorrow to try and agree an extension as I do not believe that with the bank holidays and the delays with Royal Mail that the replies will come in with very much time to submit a defence.

If anyone has any advice as to how to deal with asking them for a extension, the should and should not's when speaking with them etc. that would be helpful.

I will keep updating the post as new developments occur.

Comment

Further to my previous post. I have now spoken to someone at BW Legal and they have given me 14 days extra and not the 28 I requested. They advise me this takes me up to 17th January and I should submit my defence no later than this date.

I have e-mailed the court to let them know. Their automatic response says they will close today at 4pm and not open until Monday 30th, then they go back on holiday on the 31st and return on the 2nd of January. I hope I get a confirmation e-mail from them on one of their working days.

I have been trying to read as many threads as possible to see what has happened with other people in similar situations and see that so many of them stop short of finding out what happened. I noticed also that the CCA letter states:

If this information is not provided within 12 working days the debt becomes unenforceable. This means a creditor cannot:

• make the debtor pay the debt before they're supposed to
                              • get a court judgment against the debtor

Has any one used this as their defence, I have not found a thread which has talked about what happens if the 14 days passes. I'm am just trying to do as much reading up on the treads as possible to understand better the process I am now in.

Thanks again for all your help and for reading the posts.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X