• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help - very worried. Ref: IND/Hegarty LLP/Aktiv Kapital/MBNA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Please help - very worried. Ref: IND/Hegarty LLP/Aktiv Kapital/MBNA

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
    The debt is unenforceable as per cca s78(6). However as that is only temporary and can be cured you wish to see at an early stage if they can That's your answer.

M1
    Sorry M1 - but im not clear on that answer

Comment

Do you owe the money - Well sir i have an outstanding request under s78 of the cca 1974 and as per s78(6) the debt is currently unenforceable.

It's unlikely to come up though

M1

Comment

Thanks for all the help M1...off to the hearing tomorrow!

Comment

Good luck. I'm working tomorrow so if you ask something i might not be around.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by HB10 View Post
            Yeah sent request for s78 - the credit agreement was sent with the docs received recently
            M1

Bit confused as HB seems to apply in this post that he DID receive the CCA upon request?

Comment

As far as i'm aware he received these in response to 31.14. I doubt there was a signed statement with that

M1

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
                As far as i'm aware he received these in response to 31.14. I doubt there was a signed statement with that

M1
                Yes the docs were received in response to 31.14.

signed statement - which do you mean?

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/78

78Duty to give information to debtor under running-account credit agreement.

(1)
                  The creditor under a regulated agreement for running-account credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of [F1£1], shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it, together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer,—

(a)
                  the state of the account, and

(b)
                  the amount, if any currently payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor, and

(c)
                  the amounts and due dates of any payments which, if the debtor does not draw further on the account, will later become payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor.

(2)
                  If the creditor possesses insufficient information to enable him to ascertain the amounts and dates mentioned in subsection (1)(c), he shall be taken to comply with that paragraph if his statement under subsection (1) gives the basis on which, under the regulated agreement, they would fall to be ascertained.

(3)
                  Subsection (1) does not apply to—

(a)
                  an agreement under which no sum is, or will or may become, payable by the debtor, or

(b)
                  a request made less than one month after a previous request under that subsection relating to the same agreement was complied with.

(4)
                  Where running-account credit is provided under a regulated agreement, the creditor shall give the debtor statements in the prescribed form, and with the prescribed contents—

(a)
                  showing according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer, the state of the account at regular intervals of not more than twelve months, and

(b)
                  where the agreement provides, in relation to specified periods, for the making of payments by the debtor, or the charging against him of interest or any other sum, showing according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer the state of the account at the end of each of those periods during which there is any movement in the account.

[F2(4A)
                  Regulations may require a statement under subsection (4) to contain also information in the prescribed terms about the consequences of the debtor—

(a)
                  failing to make payments as required by the agreement; or

(b)
                  only making payments of a prescribed description in prescribed circumstances.]

(5)
                  A statement under subsection (4) shall be given within the prescribed period after the end of the period to which the statement relates.

(6)
                  If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—
                  (a)
                  he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;F3. . .
                  (b)
                  F3. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

(7)
                  This section does not apply to a non-commercial agreement, and subsections [F4(4) to (5)] do not apply to a small agreement.

M1

Comment

Will the court differentiate between an agreement copy received in response to a CPR 31.14 that was sent at the same time as a CCA 77-79 request. Is there a requirement for the response to set out that the agreement is supplied in accordance with section 77-79 CCA - I don't think so. A CCA request was sent to the creditor, the agreement was sent to the debtor - should whether it was sent under cover of a CPR request response or a CCA request response matter ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yes. As above s78 requires a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor. 31.14 does not. It is possible that an agreement can comply with either/or but not both. The s78 must be a true copy. The 31.14 needs to be the one mentioned in the the POC. See Phantoms thread if you don't know what i mean or think that's possible.

Anyway this is getting miles off topic. The fact is the chances of being asked about owing the money are slim and it won't come up.

M1

Comment

Indeed

Apologies if my interjection caused calamity!

Comment

HFO CAPITAL V ROBINSON JUDGEMENT (1).pdf

Explains some of what i'm saying but again pretty irrelevant to tomorrow.

M1

Comment

That's fine.

The hearing is the original hearing for the application for disclosure. Disclosure has been made. The only issue at this hearing is the costs of the original application as the claimants refused to agree to the cost of the application in their consent order, a new date for defence was put forward in the consent order.

Going off previous cases in a similar position (although without the attempt to agree a consent order) the claimants will try to get a judgment on the claim at this hearing (Batman's case on Tuesday v Aktiv Kapital for instance). I do think that possibility should be prepared for to some degree.

We haven't seen the copies of the agreement and terms which were sent under the CPR request and I'd suggest checking those over whether there is a defence against the debt or not and whether to be ready to defend or make an offer if the hearing does turn around to that.

Just worth thinking on so if it comes to it you're not taken off guard.
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

s78(6) prevents that

M1

Comment

"together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor"

what kind of statement would this be?

I have been preparing for a 'straight forward' hearing - mainly regards the cost due to their delays and for the court to give a date for filing the defence.... can the claimant turn it into anything further? during the phone conversation earlier this week - they were happy to set a defence filing date - just the cost was an issue. Now getting confused and very worried.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X