• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employment credit checks - job offer withdrawn by the UK's worst defaulter :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment credit checks - job offer withdrawn by the UK's worst defaulter :(

Have just heard that someone I know had a job offer overturned due to a default on their credit file. The job was a medium term contract through an agency to provide presentations services to RBS. This is totally outrageous for the following reasons:
    • the job relates purely to the production of documents and presentation materials created in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) without any involvement in financial matters, client contact, etc.
    • the candidate was not going to become an employee of the bank, their services were going to be supplied via an intermediary (recruitment agency) for a limited period of time (under 6 months).
    • RBS itself is the biggest defaulter in the UK, having been bailed out with £38 BILLION worth of BRITISH TAXPAYER'S money as can be seen here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-bailout.html

The individual in question has just one default for a debt where no valid credit agreement exists, a line of credit that shouldn't have been offered in the first place.
    RBS themselves would be bankrupt was it not for our money. How can they justify rejecting someone for a support role when they are the worst offenders?

Depriving this candidate of the opportunity to do a job they are clearly qualified to do and capable of doing (over 15 years experience in the area) has the effect of keeping them reliant on JSA, HB and CTB when they could be working and are ready and willing to work.

Being unemployed also means they can't pay their debts, leading to further defaults and a worsening financial situation, both for individuals and the country as a whole.

I looked into starting an e-petition, but it looks like a similar one was rejected earlier this year: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/44626
    Tags: None

Re: Employment credit checks - job offer withdrawn by the UK's worst defaulter

That's appallling
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I know !! Only 9 smilies, I expected more of you FP
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

One rule for them and other rule for us!!

Though i believe even though the Job is not related to finanical operations etc, the fact it's the financial industry means they can decline the applicant based on their credit file. Even though it is clearly unfair. But hey, if they played by the rule, RBS would be banned from the financial sector too.
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

I have included this argument in my letters etc. campaigning to various MP’s. Some DCAs actually boast that their actions against the debtor ‘could result in your failing to secure future employment’.
          Wait ‘till you hear this!!!!!!
          One chap I used to work with studied credit control but was turned down for a number of jobs because he had a couple of issues on his credit file but…..I know one woman who worked in an accounts department. She went to prison for stealing from her employer. When she came out she applied for some jobs and although they told her they would check her credit file none asked her about her criminal background!!!!!!Result: She got a job quicker than my ex colleague. Now I know it differs from place to place but this is off its head!:der:
          I know of one chap who was out of work, living on £89.00 per week jobseekers allowance. He was offered a job paying £65k per year but he would have to move house. The job offer included a full relocation package but he had to turn it down because when he tried to rent a house in the new area the agent told him they would do a credit check. He tried a number of places and all said the same thing.
          If you commit a criminal act all sorts of things are taken into consideration before you are punished /sentenced but no matter what dreadful circumstance results in your financial difficulties and no matter how much you accommodate your creditors you will have a big black mark against you for 6 years.
          By the way FP, YOUR SMILIES MAKE MY DAY! :rockon:

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
          ~ Anonymous

Comment

I hate this when I read a thread and go. That is what they do and I understand why they've done it. That is Financial services policies ie if you have a blemish on your credit history then they won't hire you either via recruitment agency or directly.

Only wish I could say that I thought their policy was shyte but I can't.....(am off to hide away again ).
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Employee credit checks really impacts employment opportunities and many job hunters stress about job credit report checks where a potential employer pulls a credit report before making a hiring decision. Many people are fearful it means they will not get employed and while a legitimate concern, it isn't necessarily the case.
              Last edited by enaid; 29th September 2014, 06:39:AM. Reason: link removed

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X