• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

So, the government's doing away with tax discs ...........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, the government's doing away with tax discs ...........

The bailiffs will be laughing their socks off - how will they know not to levy/clamp/seize on a vehicle that is doubly untouchable - i.e. Blue Badge (which may or may not be displayed at the time) AND disabled tax disc? "Oh, I didn't know, how could I have known" (uttered in tones of fake shock and horror). (Not, of course, that that's stopped them in the past.)

And, I wonder how that's going to work in the carparks that say free for disabled tax disc holders - could well lead to more tickets and more bailiff actions.
    Tags: None

Re: So, the government's doing away with tax discs ...........

As has been mentioned too this morning being sold a second hand car that has 11 months tax on it (or maybe not), also cars abandoned can be towed if the tax is out of date. Apparently you can phone DVLA to fined out certain things, but if they have a phone system like the HMRC you could be dead before you find the info out.

Comment

It clearly sounds like some disingenuous creeps are deliberately trying to stir up trouble. The way to deal with this is for peeps to bombard their MPs with complaints and give Cabbage Patch Cameron and Gideon Osborne a hard time about it, too. They'll soon learn they aren't in charge. It's also time to let their civil serpents know they aren't in charge either. Both are servants of the people, not their masters.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Perhaps the number of ANPR cameras will increase and when an untaxed car is seen the traffic police will be called to catch the offender seize the car and fine them ,
        That will keep untaxed cars off the road.

I am now fully awake ! Major problem?Where are the police to do this?

Anther cunning plan from HMs Government thought out over a beer and written on a fag packet

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
          Perhaps the number of ANPR cameras will increase and when an untaxed car is seen the traffic police will be called to catch the offender seize the car and fine them ,
          That will keep untaxed cars off the road.

I am now fully awake ! Major problem?Where are the police to do this?

Anther cunning plan from HMs Government thought out over a beer and written on a fag packet
          Plus those following an agenda that wasn't in the political parties' manifestos when they conned the electorate at the last General Election.

Comment

Does anyone really believe what ANY politician says to get elected?
            I may disagree with your vision of a new political system but I agree with your views on politicians and so called Civil servants

Comment

If the bailiff is following procedure, he'll have a recent valid DVLA check (within last 60 days preferably) on any vehicle he wishes to seize. The lack of a tax disc will have little bearing on matters as the DVLA check includes clear markers for vehicles registered for disabled drivers and / or owned by motability finance.

There may of course be situations where a bailiff legally seizes a vehicle to ascertain who it belongs to while a DVLA check in carried out and these could be problematic in the short term until ownership has been established. That said, any bailiff taking such action may well have to properly justify such actions or risk losing his badge.

As for car parks displaying 'free for disabled tax disc holders', these signs would simply need amending to 'blue badge holders' which I believe most are already.

Comment

I agree with your views on politicians and so called Civil servants

I call those varmints Swivel Servants.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey Drunk View Post
                  If the bailiff is following procedure, he'll have a recent valid DVLA check (within last 60 days preferably) on any vehicle he wishes to seize. The lack of a tax disc will have little bearing on matters as the DVLA check includes clear markers for vehicles registered for disabled drivers and / or owned by motability finance. Nothwithstanding DVLA's talent for cocking things up. Also, the reality of bailiffs and DVLA checks is that the buggers claim to have carried them out, when, in fact, they have not.

There may of course be situations where a bailiff legally seizes a vehicle to ascertain who it belongs to while a DVLA check in carried out and these could be problematic in the short term until ownership has been established. That said, any bailiff taking such action may well have to properly justify such actions or risk losing his badge.n't Any bailiff who seizes a vehicle without have first conducted a check with DVLA is going to have more than the loss of their certificate to worry about.

As for car parks displaying 'free for disabled tax disc holders', these signs would simply need amending to 'blue badge holders' which I believe most are already. Some local authorities provide free parking to Disabled VEL holders only and not Blue Badge holders, whilst others have a "Blue Badge Holders" policy. They need to think about that before implementing their proposals. It might help if they thought things through first and did not rush things out and wring their hands when everything goes mammaries up.
                  @@@@

Comment

If the bailiff is following procedure, he'll have a recent valid DVLA check (within last 60 days preferably) on any vehicle he wishes to seize.
                    :rofl:

That is surely your best joke yet.

Bailiffs seize first and - maybe - think later. Even the useless "guidelines" and "best practice" twaddle only suggests checking DVLA data when the bailiff wants to lift a vehicle - which could have been clamped for days or weeks by then.

There may of course be situations where a bailiff legally seizes a vehicle to ascertain who it belongs to while a DVLA check in carried out and these could be problematic in the short term until ownership has been established. That said, any bailiff taking such action may well have to properly justify such actions or risk losing his badge.
                    It must be truly wonderful to have such a delightfully innocent and naive view of the world.

Comment

If the bailiff is following procedure, he'll have a recent valid DVLA check (within last 60 days preferably) on any vehicle he wishes to seize. The lack of a tax disc will have little bearing on matters as the DVLA check includes clear markers for vehicles registered for disabled drivers and / or owned by motability finance.

As for car parks displaying 'free for disabled tax disc holders', these signs would simply need amending to 'blue badge holders' which I believe most are already.
                      Monkeydrunk - re the bit I bolded above - can you elaborate please - are you saying that if a bailiff did a DVLA check on a vehicle he could be in no doubt if it had a disabled nil rate tax disc? As in that info would automatically be supplied without him having to ask about it specifically? Does anyone have a link/document showing that? Pretty pretty please - it would go a long way to dropping a certain bailiff even deeper in the excrement :-)

Also, re the carparks - at the moment, there are some that say blue badges pay but disabled tax discs don't. So that would lead to loss of revenue which I can't imagine would be popular if extended to all blue badge holders........

Comment

Most of the problems with parking and minor traffic enforcements stem from assumptions and presumptions that have no basis of fact and in this case there seems to be a line of thought that a bailiff should contact the DVLA before ascertaining the identity of the registered keeper.

Sorry to pop this extra assumption and presumption but there is no statute which supports this. Not the Traffic Management Act 2004, Enforcement of Road Traffic Debts Order 1993, Enforcement of Road Traffic Debts (Certificated Bailiffs) Regulations 1993 or the Civil Procedure Rules, TEC Users Guide or Department of Transport Operational Guide (Parking Policy). Most of all not the Data Protection Act 1998 which actively prevents such an occurence.

Its one of those myths that has been around long enough to obtain the status of 'It must be true because we have always done it this way and because of that we believe it to be true'.

Please do not make it worse by pointing out that the BPA members are entitled to receive information from the DVLA. When did this country pass a law to say that this single private members club is exempt from statute and can dictate policy to the DVLA?

Comment

Does anyone really believe what ANY politician says to get elected? No!
                          I may disagree with your vision of a new political system but I agree with your views on politicians and so called Civil servants What you call "vision" is what is needed to stop the corruption that is inherent in the current political system. I had to deal with MPs and civil serpents when I was in the police, so speak from experience. Btw, have you seen that the MP who allegedly called a police officer a "pleb" is being sued by the officer concerned for libel? Perhaps said MP might now realise he is a servant of the people, not one of their masters, and that he is subject to the same laws as everyone else.
                          @@@@

Comment

... the MP who allegedly called a police officer a "pleb" is being sued by the officer concerned for libel
                            I have a feeling that senior officers will be keen to speak to him very soon (particularly those nearing retirement who can see their K disappearing over the horizon).

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                              I have a feeling that senior officers will be keen to speak to him very soon
                              With or without coffee?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X