• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Driving licence issue.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving licence issue.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask for help on the above but please point me in the right direction if it isn't, or indeed move the post to the correct location. (admin).

I will try to keep this as short as possible.

A friend of mine had a driving licence with what is now classed as 'granddad' rights. ie, he had entitlements to 7.5t, minibus, trailer, car, motorcycle etc.

A few years ago (@3-4) he was pillion in a motor cross/side car championship. He unfortunately fell from the bike on some rough ground and directly into the path of an oncoming contestant. Their machine ran over his head, placing him in a coma for some 3 weeks and hospital for some time after. Due to the brain injury they dvla thought it right to revoke his licence. Not through any fault of his own.

A year or two later, my friend wanted to get his licence back to enable him to get back on his feet and get to a job. When he applied for it back the dvla gave him all sorts of spiel that doesn.t make any sense to me.

They started by saying they could only reissue his licence upon an assessment of his ability to drive. This seemed reasonable as the brain injury could of effected his ability so he went along with it at his own expense.

They then offered him a choice of what licence he wanted back?? I do not understand this. He had a choice of car or motorbike. The nature of his business meant he needed 4 wheels to transport his tools etc so he chose this.

He now is trying to get his bike licence back even though he did no wrong to lose it. He also would like to have his 7.5t, minibus, van, trailer categories back as well but has been told he needs to retest for each of them. Is this correct?

They took his licence of him, with all catagories and gave him a select few back. Going by what he said they should of only given him a car licence which I think is wrong as he passed originally in 1990 before the change of the law. He didnt do a separate test as is required to pull a trailer with a car but yet they have still added that to his licence.

This to me just doesn't equate. Why if he is fit to drive the car he originally passed his test in, is he not fit to have the original categories that were granted at the time? Why can he have what is today a second test added to his licence for the trailer without a test but not the other catagories he could possibly use to help make a living from?

Any help is appreciated.

Terry
    Tags: None

Re: Driving licence issue.

Originally posted by ZippZipp View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask for help on the above but please point me in the right direction if it isn't, or indeed move the post to the correct location. (admin).

I will try to keep this as short as possible.

A friend of mine had a driving licence with what is now classed as 'granddad' rights. ie, he had entitlements to 7.5t, minibus, trailer, car, motorcycle etc.

A few years ago (@3-4) he was pillion in a motor cross/side car championship. He unfortunately fell from the bike on some rough ground and directly into the path of an oncoming contestant. Their machine ran over his head, placing him in a coma for some 3 weeks and hospital for some time after. Due to the brain injury they dvla thought it right to revoke his licence. Not through any fault of his own.

A year or two later, my friend wanted to get his licence back to enable him to get back on his feet and get to a job. When he applied for it back the dvla gave him all sorts of spiel that doesn.t make any sense to me.

They started by saying they could only reissue his licence upon an assessment of his ability to drive. This seemed reasonable as the brain injury could of effected his ability so he went along with it at his own expense.

They then offered him a choice of what licence he wanted back?? I do not understand this. He had a choice of car or motorbike. The nature of his business meant he needed 4 wheels to transport his tools etc so he chose this.

He now is trying to get his bike licence back even though he did no wrong to lose it. He also would like to have his 7.5t, minibus, van, trailer categories back as well but has been told he needs to retest for each of them. Is this correct?

They took his licence of him, with all catagories and gave him a select few back. Going by what he said they should of only given him a car licence which I think is wrong as he passed originally in 1990 before the change of the law. He didnt do a separate test as is required to pull a trailer with a car but yet they have still added that to his licence.

This to me just doesn't equate. Why if he is fit to drive the car he originally passed his test in, is he not fit to have the original categories that were granted at the time? Why can he have what is today a second test added to his licence for the trailer without a test but not the other catagories he could possibly use to help make a living from?

Any help is appreciated.

Terry
    Happy to answer your query. When a driver suffers a serious injury as your friend did, the DVLA Driver's Medical Branch becomes involved. They will have sent questionnaires out to your friend's GP and hospital consultant(s) and sought information from them. Once completed and returned to DVLA at Swansea, DVLA's Senior Medical Adviser then has to make a decision based on what the GP and hospital consultants have said. There are certain matters that would make it unsafe for a person to drive certain types of vehicle or at all and the Senior Medical Adviser has to take these into consideration in coming to a conclusion as to a driver's fitness to drive.

As far as the matter relating to goods vehicles over 3.5t GVW is concerned, these now require drivers to take a separate test and, in some cases, a medical examination, also. The medical requirements for Group C licences are strict; Group D is stricter still.

It would do no harm for your friend to write to DVLA Driver's Medical Branch and ask for an explanation as to their decision. Your friend should have received correspondence from the Senior Medical Adviser explaining any restrictions and why they are being imposed. Check with your friend to see if they have received any correspondence. If not, then they need to write to DVLA Driver's Medical Branch.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Re: Driving licence issue.

Thank you for your advice. I will pass this on to him

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X