• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need help drafting letter to RLP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help drafting letter to RLP

Hiya

I've received a letter from RLP demanding I pay them £90 for alleged losses, etc for a shoplifting offence. Have read various threads on this site and have read Oxford case judgement & have come to the conclusion that I do not need to pay up. However, I now require assistance as to what I should write back to RLP stating my case (you know fill it with some legal jargon, cases, etc) - I want to word the letter in such a way that they know I'm not going to fall victim to their demands, my letter ends the matter & that they don't continue sending me further demands every so many weeks until the end of time!!! Any help & assistance would be gratefully received - thanks!!!

Jo
    Tags: None

Re: Need help drafting letter to RLP

I dont think you need to put legal jargon in the letter. I think if you do, it raises an expectation that you have a higher legal understanding, which is not necessary.

I think youre far better setting out the facts , and why you dispute their claim for the monies (id base it on the oxford ruling) and then set out that you are not going to pay their claim.

You could write up something and post it here for comment / critique
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
      I dont think you need to put legal jargon in the letter. I think if you do, it raises an expectation that you have a higher legal understanding, which is not necessary.

I think youre far better setting out the facts , and why you dispute their claim for the monies (id base it on the oxford ruling) and then set out that you are not going to pay their claim.

You could write up something and post it here for comment / critique
      Re the legal jargon apologies I simply meant that I need to know how to incorporate the Oxford judgement into my letter & whether there are any laws, legal grounds, etc on which I can state my case and also include in my letter??? I simply wish to write something which RLP will take seriously & from which they get the message that I know I haven't got to pay them any money & that should they wish to pursue it through the courts then they can (which from what I have read on this forum they won't do)!!! My letter writing is terrible that is why I asked for help with the draft & as I said I don't want to keep up an ongoing dialogue with them - I just want to send out a clear message to them once and for all for them to stop harassing me. >

Comment

Originally posted by Sparklingcider View Post
        Re the legal jargon apologies I simply meant that I need to know how to incorporate the Oxford judgement into my letter & whether there are any laws, legal grounds, etc on which I can state my case and also include in my letter??? I simply wish to write something which RLP will take seriously & from which they get the message that I know I haven't got to pay them any money & that should they wish to pursue it through the courts then they can (which from what I have read on this forum they won't do)!!! My letter writing is terrible that is why I asked for help with the draft & as I said I don't want to keep up an ongoing dialogue with them - I just want to send out a clear message to them once and for all for them to stop harassing me. >
        Ahh i see. I am probably not the best person to help here, as i dont follow the RLP cases, so dont really know too much about them. Ill flag this up with the team and ask someone to look in
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

http://www.lossprevention.co.uk/Court%20Cases.aspx

Not updated in 18 months tells me they aren't going to court anymore or they'd be shouting loud and proud.

One letter (if that) telling them to bog off and only react to a letter before action.

M1

Comment

What never fails to amuse me about RLP's letters is their claim that a person is not complying with CPR when they, themselves, are non-compliant. The simple fact is that when RLP's claims are put to the test of strict proof, they fail, as happened in the Oxford Case. It is alleged that, during the hearing of the Oxford Case, a representative of RLP was seen to be handing copious notes to the claimant's barrister who, after a while, got fed up with this. It would not surprise me in the least if the barrister was sorely-tempted to advise the RLP representative as to the bodily orifice into which they should insert their notes. Their demands are nothing more than speculative invoices.

It really is best to ignore their "begging letters" unless they start threatening court proceedings. Unless they and a client have grounds and a right in law to make their demands and using threats is a proper means of enforcing those demands, they are on seriously dangerous ground, in the legal sense.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X