• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Free electicity! Advice needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free electicity! Advice needed.

If I can briefly detail what has happened to me..

I live in a rented flat above a shop.

A couple of years ago I received a letter from my electricity supplier saying that they were sorry I was leaving etc..

Turns out that the shop owner tried to change his supplier but the details were taken from my meter instead (to be fair they are right next to each other) of the shops.

I telephoned the new supplier and explained the error, they told me it would have to be sorted out as they only supply commercial premises.

I have be trying to get this put right for over 2 years now, the new supplier has been taken over by Powergen in the mean time..

I haven't received an electricity bill, from anyone since September 2005!

I love having 'free' power but can't help feeling that the mother of all bills is just round the corner..

Reckon I can get away with it somehow? I'd really like to see a contract

Any advice people?

Re: Free electicity! Advice needed.

Unfortunately you do not need to be under a formal written contract - it is sufficient that the electicity company can demonstrate that you have implicitly accepted and used the power supplied through that meter.

However, the good news is they can only go back 12 months, as of July last year, as during 2005 Ofgem ruled that energy suppliers who had failed to issue bills could not backdate bills for more than two years which later dropped to 12 months.

Comment

Prompt reply or what? Thanks Cetelco..

Good news about the 12 months..

How can either electricity company involved claim that I had the contract with them though?

One of them said they couldn't even supply my power as they were commercial supply only.

What do you think I should do? What about trying a totally different supplier?

Comment

It will not matter whether they say they cannot supply you, the fact that your appliances have been using electricity and that KW/hrs used have been recorded by the meter will be sufficient to raise a valid bill.

Changing suppliers could be an option, provided they do not ask for or contact your previous supplier, or the company which currently supplies that meter, whoever that is.

Given that the most you will ever have to pay is 12 months worth, another option might be to wait for them to contact you.

Comment

I'm with cet on this one, why fix things if they arn't broken. I would wait until they finally contact you. in the meantime start a saving account that will give you sufficent funds to pay for 12 months of electricity.

Best wishes,
          Hod..Liam...
          Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Hi again Slinky

Just one small query here..........

Cetelco , you say that they can not bill you for more than the previous 12 months?

If , for example , the last paid meter reading was 0001 and when they finally discovered the error say 10 years later and the meter reading was now 1001 .How could they prove how much was used in the previous 12 months. Would they take an average ie 1000 units divided by 10 years = 100 units per year?

Would they have to accurately prove beyond all reasonable doubt that their `estimated` figure had been used?

I do have a reason for asking this as someone I know has a similar situation with their gas supplier. The only difference is that since the gas supply was installed back in 1996 they have never received a bill................not one.......despite telephoning / writing letters every quarterly period for over the initial year.
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
              Hi again Slinky

Just one small query here..........

Cetelco , you say that they can not bill you for more than the previous 12 months?

If , for example , the last paid meter reading was 0001 and when they finally discovered the error say 10 years later and the meter reading was now 1001 .How could they prove how much was used in the previous 12 months. Would they take an average ie 1000 units divided by 10 years = 100 units per year?

Would they have to accurately prove beyond all reasonable doubt that their `estimated` figure had been used?

I do have a reason for asking this as someone I know has a similar situation with their gas supplier. The only difference is that since the gas supply was installed back in 1996 they have never received a bill................not one.......despite telephoning / writing letters every quarterly period for over the initial year.
              Good point.. Wonder how they would estimate the last 12 months? Hmmm..

Wish it was my gas and not electricity.. I hate British Gas with a passion.

Comment

Take a look here energywatch: Your Questions

Comment

Thanks Cet,

More specifically here is what they say

How many years back can they still bill me?

Question How many years back can they still bill me?

Answer It depends on your circumstances.

Companies must have a Code of Practice which covers how they bill consumers. As of July 2006, the main domestic suppliers (those who belong to the Energy Retail Association) agreed a new Code of Practice which stipulated that, where suppliers were at fault for not billing a consumer, they will not backdate (or backbill) more than two years. This drops to a one year timeframe with effect from July 2007.
                  You can find more information on the changes to the Code of Practice from the ERA's website, as well as the possible exemptions, here. Be aware that the guidelines apply to members of the ERA and their domestic consumers only.
                  If you have any queries, you are welcome to contact Energywatch for further advice (you can use the Ask a Question tab just above this answer).
                  Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thanks everyone, for the info and advice..

Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy my 'free' electricity, with all the lights on

Comment

Originally posted by Slinky46 View Post
                      Thanks everyone, for the info and advice..

Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy my 'free' electricity, with all the lights on
                      That's the spirit, I would do the same. If you live anywhere near me can I use my extension lead and hook up all of my appliances as well.msl:

Best wishes,
                      Hod..Liam..
                      Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

It sounds like the people you are supplied by used to be economy power (they were a small firm set up by a broker and an engineer) who are now owned by eon, who did used to be powergen. The billing code does cover you in this situation and eon will just put down the lack of billing to you as operational loss, however, the one thing that does concern me is that you say the shop belows meter is right next to yours, are you sure bills aren't being sent there and ignored, you did after-all receive one letter saying they were sorry you are leaving. If the power company can show that they have been sending correspondence to this address then they can in-fact back bill you for as long as they want because once the bill has left the supplier they have fulfilled their role.
                        They will work out your new bill (if they haven't attempted to contact you before) based on average consumption, they will more than likely ask you for readings over a period of 7 days and work it out from there in the absence of actual meter readings.
                        If you would like me to find out who your supplier is, please pm me your MPAN also known as a supply number and I will get you this information.
                        Hope this helps.

Loulou
                        Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
                        For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
                        And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Comment

Thanks Loulou..

You're right it was Econo-Power (or something like that)..

I'm on good terms with the shop owner and we often get mail mix-ups, so we can rule out the bills going AWOL..

How do I find out my MPAN/supply number?

Comment

email me your post code and house number and i can tell you who supplies you and your mpan
                            Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
                            For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
                            And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Comment

Another twist..

Just received an electricity bill for £800..

It was addressed to a previous occupant who hasn't lived at my address for over 4yrs..

I didn't open it obviously and returned it 'not known at this address'..

Any clue how this might pan out?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X