• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

can i be fired?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i be fired?

hi guys, i was witness to a fight outside of work which involved a collegue. i told the police that i didnt see who hit who first(which is the truth) but i suspected that my collegue was hit first because his teeth had been knocked out. now when my boss asked me to give her a statement i wrote that i saw the other man hit my colleague first. its now going to crown court as my collegue is acused of stamping on the other man. can my boss sack me for giving her false account of what happened
    Tags: None

Re: can i be fired?

I wouldn't worry about the boss, that is the least of your problems!! Your statement may be read out in court.

Comment

+ Reply to Thread so what if it was read out in court, its not a police official statement.

Comment

Originally posted by ben oseman View Post
        hi guys, i was witness to a fight outside of work which involved a collegue. i told the police that i didnt see who hit who first(which is the truth) but i suspected that my colleague was hit first because his teeth had been knocked out. Now when my boss asked me to give her a statement I wrote that I saw the other man hit my colleague first. It's now going to Crown Court as my colleague is accused of stamping on the other man. Can my boss sack me for giving her false account of what happened
        If this incident did not happen in the workplace or during working hours, then your boss does need to tread carefully, especially as the police and CPS are involved, evidenced by the fact that the matter has now been committed to the Crown Court.

Did this incident occur within the workplace or during working hours, including on your way to work or on your way home from work?
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ben oseman
          ... i told the police that i didnt see who hit who first (which is the truth) but i suspected that my collegue was hit first because his teeth had been knocked out.
          ... now when my boss asked me to give her a statement i wrote that i saw the other man hit my colleague first.
          So, two contradictory statements. The questions posed by Bluebottle are key. You need to establish whether or not she has a legitimate interest.

... can my boss sack me for giving her false account of what happened?
          Perhaps, depending on your answers to the above.

Were you placed under any pressure to give the answer that you gave to your boss? Were you guided or prompted in any way? It will be interesting to see what use she makes of your statement.

Comment

firstly, thanks for the replies. it happened in my street several hours after work. i work in a care home. he was acused of stamping on the man and i told my boss he didnt do that but i told her that the other man hit my colleague first when in reality i cant be 100% sure who hit who first.

Comment

hi guys, i was witness to a fight outside of work which involved a collegue. i told the police that i didnt see who hit who first(which is the truth) but i suspected that my collegue was hit first because his teeth had been knocked out. now when my boss asked me to give her a statement i wrote that i saw the other man hit my colleague first. its now going to crown court as my collegue is acused of stamping on the other man. can my boss sack me for giving her false account of what happened

Was there any pushing and shoving at the start of the fight?

Comment

As this was not in the workplace and not during working hours, including on your way to or from work, and the matter is sub judice, your boss has no business whatsoever asking you to write a statement for her. Also, as a witness in a criminal case that has been committed to the Crown Court, on indictment, what on earth did you think you were doing discussing the matter with your boss or providing her with a statement? I know this may sound harsh, but both you and your boss could find yourselves in serious trouble over this. It would be better if the statement was destroyed and your boss exercised some patience and waits until the trial is over. Until then, she should not do anything that could prejudice your colleague's right to a fair hearing.

Comment

yes there was and thats all i saw, then i turned around to try and attach my dogs to lamp post. during this time one of them threw a punch. i told my boss that my collegue wasnt the one who threw punch but told the police that i couldnt be sure but my colleagues teeth were on floor

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                    As this was not in the workplace and not during working hours, including on your way to or from work, and the matter is sub judice, your boss has no business whatsoever asking you to write a statement for her. Also, as a witness in a criminal case that has been committed to the Crown Court, on indictment, what on earth did you think you were doing discussing the matter with your boss or providing her with a statement? I know this may sound harsh, but both you and your boss could find yourselves in serious trouble over this. It would be better if the statement was destroyed and your boss exercised some patience and waits until the trial is over. Until then, she should not do anything that could prejudice your colleague's right to a fair hearing.
                    i did not discuss the issue with her, my colleague told her and then she asked me to write down what happened. i have no idea why she asked me to write a statement. i may discuss the issue with her tommorrow but i fear for my job if i do.

Comment

i did not discuss the issue with her, my colleague told her and then she asked me to write down what happened. i have no idea why she asked me to write a statement. i may discuss the issue with her tomorrow but I fear for my job if I do.
                      Ben,

Was your boss aware, at the time, that the matter was going through the courts? If this is the case, did she also know you were to be called as a witness for either the Defence or Prosecution?

Comment

she was aware it was going to court but unaware whether i was defence or prosecution.

Comment

Best solution, go tell the truth to whoever you need to tell it to and live with the consequences now rather than later!

Comment

great i could lose my job then

Comment

Ben,

Before you speak to your boss again, I would advise you to speak to the police officer who is dealing with the case and be guided by them. I am afraid I cannot, in any way, condone what you did or what your boss did. Just hope that you have not prejudiced the entire case, otherwise, you could be in serious trouble. If you haven't, you may be invited to attend the police station so the police officer can kick your backside around the station yard a number of times. Pray that is a boot up the backside.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X