Thread: Personal Financial Information - KEEP IT TO YOURSELF

• Display

Site Owner

Mentions
    1843 Post(s)

Exclamation Personal Financial Information - KEEP IT TO YOURSELF

We have become aware of a number of instances where internet users have posted online / emailed documents to others without removal of their own personal details.

ALWAYS REMOVE YOUR FULL NAME / ADDRESS / TELEPHONE NUMBERS / ACCOUNT REFERENCE / COURT CLAIM NUMBER / DATE OF BIRTH from ALL documents posted online - whether on this site, another, an image hosting site or in an email to someone.

If anyone contacts you and asks you to send them unedited/unredacted documents then DO NOT SEND THEM ANY THING and report it to site team (if it is on here) At the very least REDACT your documents before sending them, as that information is NOT required to check the majority of things out on documents, unless they are acting for you in a professional capacity (such as your solicitor).

Please be fully aware we will continue to remove any documents that reveal personal information as soon as we become aware. People are actually very good at reporting personal information left on documents to team and we act as quickly as possible to take them down.

I will see if someone can do a decent guide to uploading documents to the site and how to redact personal info (I use paint and just rub it out with the rubber bitty thing before resaving as a jpg or png then uploading to the site.)

Covering up info before scanning with thin paper / marker pen often doesn't work, and placing blocks over pages in PDF format is also a bit hit and miss. If you have lots of documents I find editing them separately in paint and then printing to PDF works well, although can be a little time consuming.

Sorry to sound like a grumpy old madam, but it is important.aw:

Metadata

Whenever you create, open, or save a document in Microsoft Word, the document may store information — known as metadata — that you had no intention of including or disclosing (this also applies to Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and Microsoft PowerPoint® files). Metadata is used for a variety of legitimate purposes, and it adds functionality to the editing, viewing, filing, and retrieving capabilities of Microsoft Office. However, if some of this information is passed on to inappropriate parties (for example, opposing counsel), that disclosure can create adverse consequences for you and your client. In order to avoid these consequences, you should make yourself familiar with the types of metadata contained in your documents and take steps to remove it whenever necessary.
    Some metadata is readily accessible through the user interface of each Office program. Other metadata is only accessible through extraordinary means, such as opening a document in a low-level, binary file editor.
    Some examples of metadata that may be stored in your documents

Your name
    Your initials
    Your company or organization name
    The name of your computer
    The name of the network server or hard disk where you saved the document
    Other file properties and summary information
    Non-visible portions of embedded OLE objects
    The names of previous document authors
    Document revisions
    Document versions
    Template information
    Hidden text or cells
    Personalized views
    Comments
    Last edited by Amethyst; 6th July 2014 at 10:32:AM.
    “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com

Inca

Default Re: Personal Financial Information - KEEP IT TO YOURSELF

with the rubber bitty thing ​loving the techyspeak Ame msl:

Inactive

Mentions
    7 Post(s)

If it is a letter that has arrived I scan as a jpg then open with mspaint. Edit out the bits then use an online PDF converter to convert jpg to pdf.

I think this is the one I use but it is on my laptop so I will double check
    http://jpg-to-pdf-free.en.softonic.com/

Site Owner

Mentions
    1843 Post(s)

Ahhhh, I have CutePDF installed as a 'printer' so I just print stuff to PDF rather than paper

Quote Originally Posted by Inca View Post
    with the rubber bitty thing ​loving the techyspeak Ame msl:
    Well I am master webmaster of the universe you know :doggieyes: aw:
    “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

labman

I use the same Ame, then Adolix split and merge to merge several pdf's into one (or vice versa), and finally (never actually used this) digisigner to add or remove digital signatures from pdf's - I guess a pdf can identify someone personally from the digital signature, but I'm not techy enough to know.

Rather worryingly is how easy it would be to change someone's digital signature to make it look as though a document has eminated from somewhere it has not. This could be very dangerous in the hands of a loony! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Inactive

Mentions
    7 Post(s)

That is always something to think about. If you have a registered version of something it can often have your name in the properties. I have downloaded a PDF to view from a site and I have a name on it geoff someone. Same goes for MS word. Hence when you send a template letter by email if they check the properties they know which website you have sent it from

Site Owner

Mentions
    1843 Post(s)

I always copy paste any template letters onto a new word doc anyways.

Inactive

Mentions
    7 Post(s)

An example...some templates that I have downloaded from another website in word . When you click on properties it say author.The xxxxx family which is the surname of the owner of that site. It also names the website

Site Owner

Mentions
    1843 Post(s)

oops, our consultation responses probably have silly things like 'Shazzas Puter' on then.

Who am I to lecture you lot on internet security eh ! aw::wub:

Inactive

Mentions
    7 Post(s)

Well maybe you could have fun when sending a letter written by word by putting author:F*** off or something like that.

Mind you the whole world knows who I am and where i live, I have left it on enough documents

VIP Member

Mentions
    74 Post(s)

Probably a lot of equivalents for Windows, but if you are on Linux this is handy for checking and striping metadata from common file formats: https://mat.boum.org/

labman

That's the posh word I was looking for, 'metadata'. I know of definite instances where that has been changed to make it look as though the author was someone else.

Metadata

Whenever you create, open, or save a document in Microsoft Word, the document may store information — known as metadata — that you had no intention of including or disclosing (this also applies to Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and Microsoft PowerPoint® files). Metadata is used for a variety of legitimate purposes, and it adds functionality to the editing, viewing, filing, and retrieving capabilities of Microsoft Office. However, if some of this information is passed on to inappropriate parties (for example, opposing counsel), that disclosure can create adverse consequences for you and your client. In order to avoid these consequences, you should make yourself familiar with the types of metadata contained in your documents and take steps to remove it whenever necessary.
    Some metadata is readily accessible through the user interface of each Office program. Other metadata is only accessible through extraordinary means, such as opening a document in a low-level, binary file editor.
    Some examples of metadata that may be stored in your documents

• Your name
    • Your initials
    • Your company or organization name
    • The name of your computer
    • The name of the network server or hard disk where you saved the document
    • Other file properties and summary information
    • Non-visible portions of embedded OLE objects
    • The names of previous document authors
    • Document revisions
    • Document versions
    • Template information
    • Hidden text or cells
    • Personalized views
    • Comments

Site Admin

Mentions
    57 Post(s)

Master webmaster eh? Saves me a job lol
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Inactive

Mentions
    7 Post(s)

I never get to see the spam posts boohoo