• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Management Plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Management Plan

I am new to this and was wondering if there is any reason that I cannot do my own debt management plan without going to a debt management company> I have made a income and expenditure list and added all the debts up and owe in total £17,325 > I have worked out that I have 289.80 left a month and am working out payments for each over 5 years in a list.Just wondering if I need an official company to help me or if I can make my own arrangements. They are all my debts and unsecured.
    Tags: None

Re: Debt Management Plan

Nothing stopping you doing it yourself.

There is this tool that can help you run your own plan: http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/dmp.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
      Nothing stopping you doing it yourself.

There is this tool that can help you run your own plan: http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/dmp.asp
      Nibbler is absolutely correct. NEDCAB is definitely the way to go, but wait until the week after next to do it if you can. I can't say why I'm afraid, you'll have to trust me.

Comment

Thank you. I am intrigued now! I have had a letter from Moorcroft a few weeks ago for Fashion World (amongst others) as I asked for a copy of my credit agreement and a documentation showing all charges on my account and that I was not admitting to any debt at the moment. They then set Midas on me but I pointed out to them by email that I had sent a £1 cheque without prejudice in my husbands name for the cost of the documents which they had cashed and to call off MIDAS immediately. I have received a letter today saying that they duly confirm that they have requested the relevant documentation and once received will forward them to me and have put the account on hold. They then went on to say that (QUOTE) it may be of assistance to both parties if they took the opportunity to ensure that any areas of dispute are addressed prior to any possible court action or further investigation and could I provide them with an indication of the information I will be relying upon ,when giving evidence in court or information to the relevant statutory authorities in relation to the alleged subject matter of the account. Please could I provide the information by return to ensure all possible areas of dispute are identified as quickly as possible thereby minimizing potential costs.
        I really don't know what to answer to this as all I was asking for was run down of the account costs and the original credit agree ment in order to buy me time more than anything to get this DMP started.
        Does anyone have any advice on what this means <they are more or less saying they are going to take me to court

Comment

A few DCA's seem to be doing this now. I would not even respond to them personally. You've submitted a s77-79 CCA Request as is your right. They have 14 days in which to respond. It is as simple as that.

They have no valid reason to mention court, in fact it could deemed threatening so should probably be reported to the OFT.

If it were me I'd wait to get the copy of the agreement.

Comment

When you say they have a fortnight to respond ,what happens after the fortnight is up please ?

Comment

That part about court is a standard BS template from Moroncroft. Seen it dozens upon dozens of times from them over the years. Ignore.

Fortnight = 12+2 days to respond to the CCA request I presume?; whenever that is up in your case. After that, with no valid response to the CCA request, a court should not make any order enforcing the debt. Knowing Moroncroft's record, would not be surprised to see them return the account to the OC if they can't get any documents.

Comment

That part about court is a standard BS template from Moroncroft. Seen it dozens upon dozens of times from them over the years. Ignore.

Fortnight = 12+2 days to respond to the CCA request I presume?; whenever that is up in your case. After that, with no valid response to the CCA request, a court should not make any order enforcing the debt. Knowing Moroncroft's record, would not be surprised to see them return the account to the OC if they can't get any documents.
                Why wouldn't they be able to get the documents ? surely the OC wouldn't refuse to give them the documents if they are working for them? Surely they would have had the documents in the first place as it may be a mix up in administration so you would think they would check that the claim is valid !!

Comment

Originally posted by lizzyann View Post
                  Why wouldn't they be able to get the documents ? surely the OC wouldn't refuse to give them the documents if they are working for them? Surely they would have had the documents in the first place as it may be a mix up in administration so you would think they would check that the claim is valid !!
                  In many cases, there are just no documents, in which case the account would be unenforceable. I have one such account with MBNA, where they couldn't find anything, thus I've not heard from them for years. :grin: :grin:

When you mention a claim, have you received a court claim for this debt?

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                    In many cases, there are just no documents, in which case the account would be unenforceable. I have one such account with MBNA, where they couldn't find anything, thus I've not heard from them for years. :grin: :grin:

When you mention a claim, have you received a court claim for this debt?
                    Hi Thank you for the response> No I have received a letter from Moorcroft.

Comment

Originally posted by lizzyann View Post
                      Hi Thank you for the response> No I have received a letter from Moorcroft.
                      Ah, OK. It's best to double-check, as some people have been known to mistake real claims for standard template threats. :ohwell:

Comment

Hi Lizzyann,

You're OK to go to NEDCAB now. They announced yesterday that they've just brought out a new, improved, self Debt Management Plan tool. I've been involved in the testing and development of it, but couldn't say anything as it was strictly confidential.

It's now public, so go ahead and use it if that is the way you wish to go - it's good. I have no formal links with CAB or any other organisation, they just wanted my opinion as someone whose opinion they valued from my experience in the debt management sector, so I've helped and continue to help develop stuff which can't be public until such time as they decide to make it public. Apologies for the secrecy.

Any problems, just shout or drop me a pm (best way for me at present) and I'll help as much as I can. :beagle:
                        Last edited by labman; 16th November 2013, 16:34:PM. Reason: add missed out word

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                          You're OK to go to NEDCAB now. They announced yesterday that they've just brought out a new, improved, self Debt Management Plan tool. I've been involved in the testing and development of it, but couldn't say anything as it was strictly confidential.
                          Does that mean that you helped to make it idiot-proof? :der:

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                            Sorry, I don't quite get that, so in answer to your question, probably not! :tinysmile_twink_t2: If you'd care to elaborate I'll try to answer you honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                              Sorry, I don't quite get that,
                              So it is idiot resistant, if not idiot proof? :grin:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X