• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jacobs Bailiffs Penalty Charge Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobs Bailiffs Penalty Charge Notice

Hi all,

Got a rather large issue with parking tickets!

To cut a long story short, we have two (both from hire cars in late 2012, one in my name, one in the wifes, although i believe both to be hers, one of them obtained in my hire car) which are now at over £300 each (beyond stupid I know, but a long story as to why they have just been uncovered).

We def owe the tickets and there were no issues as to how they were served etc, so i don't believe we have any right of appeal.

I spoke to Jacobs bailiffs who advised me to do an income and expenditure, which I did. I made an offer of £20 per month on each ticket and the income and expenditure showed we could afford that (only just mind!).

Anyhow, they have today emailed me saying they advise we pay £75 per month on each ticket (income and expenditure shows we could never afford that!) and before replying I thought i'd get some advice on here.

Its my current plan to pay the £20 a month as agreed on each ticket, regardless of their request.

However, the question is, what can they do?

can they enter my property (of their own accord) for a parking ticket? Can they carry on action, thus incurring more charges? I dont have any vehicles to seize at present, and I certainly wont be letting them in the house, however, I dont wish to pay them £20 a month on an ever increasing debt if they will just keep on adding charges.

any advice on how I deal with this is hugely appreciated!
    Tags: None

Re: Jacobs Bailiffs Penalty Charge Notice

It sounds to me that Jacobs are trying to engineer an excuse to garner fees. They are holders of an OFT Cat. F Debt Collection Licence, a condition of which is that a licence holder must not force or attempt to force a debtor to pay more than they can realistically afford. They have put themselves in breach of their licence by doing what they have.

Could you post up how much each PCN is for and what fees Jacobs have added. It would also help if you could post up the name of the local authority that issued the PCNs.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by springwater View Post
      Hi all,

Got a rather large issue with parking tickets!

To cut a long story short, we have two (both from hire cars in late 2012, one in my name, one in the wifes, although i believe both to be hers, one of them obtained in my hire car) which are now at over £300 each (beyond stupid I know, but a long story as to why they have just been uncovered).
      Would you care to expand?

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
        Would you care to expand?
        wife didnt want to stress me any further so has ignored them and kind of hoped they went away.....i know.....i know.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
          It sounds to me that Jacobs are trying to engineer an excuse to garner fees. They are holders of an OFT Cat. F Debt Collection Licence, a condition of which is that a licence holder must not force or attempt to force a debtor to pay more than they can realistically afford. They have put themselves in breach of their licence by doing what they have.

Could you post up how much each PCN is for and what fees Jacobs have added. It would also help if you could post up the name of the local authority that issued the PCNs.
          one is for chester council, £289.74
          one is for wigan council, I dont have this amount currently, I spoke to jacobs last week who said it was passed back to council, so i shredded their letter, called the council and they say theyve passed it back to jacobs! which their email today confirms.
          I've asked them to let me know how much its for.

I dont have a breakdown of their fee's.

Comment

I think one of the first things you need to know is how they have increased to this amount. Letter 1 (LINK) from the link will give you that.

Without wishing to be pessimistic, I think we need to hope for some creative fee charging by Jacobs here. I can think of a way you could possibly get your fine reduced, but it would mean your wife swearing a Statutory Declaration to say that she had not told you anything about your ticket - this would cost around £5 -£10 at any High Street solicitors, but may not be a route you want to contemplate - only you can decide that. There would be no guarantee of success either way if you did it, but it might work.

I'd certainly get the letter sent to Jacobs and then see what comes back. Make sure you keep a minimum of proof of postage (this is free - if they give you just a receipt, ask if they can give you one of the cards where the actual address is written down).

Comment

thanks for the responses, i'll get the letter sent tomorrow!

Comment

Let us know as soon as you get a reply. Also, when you say your wife didn't want to stress you any further, forgive my being nosey, but was the stress normal stresses of life, or were they caused by something specific such as an illness or trauma of some sort?

Comment

no illness or trauma, just general life, juggling work, bills and a 1 year old!

Comment

p.s - before i send an email response to them, is this ok to send? (their email in red, response in black):

Dear,

We acknowledge your email dated the 4th November and have noted the contents therein.

We advise that we have been instructed by Wigan Parking Services to reopen Jacobs reference 6076833 (Client reference WG03057189).

We are in a position to accept arrangements to pay by instalments, we must advise that as the accounts we have are for 2 separate Councils we will have to set separate arrangements on each account.

After reviewing the financial statement we advise that the minimum payments are £75.00 per month on each account providing the first instalments reach head office no later than the 14th November 2013.

Payment methods are as follows: cash, cheque, postal order, credit/debit card over the telephone on 0844 304 0101, payment cards can be requested from our office or alternatively you can pay via our website www.jacobsbailiffs.co.uk (a small fee maybe raised for these options).

Failure to adhere to the above may result in further recovery action.

Regards

Jacobs Certificated Bailiffs
                    4 Europa Boulevard
                    Birkenhead
                    Wirral
                    CH41 4PE

Office: +44 (0)151 650 4800
                    Fax: +44 (0)151 650 4999
                    Web: www.jacobsbailiffs.co.uk

Thanks for your response.

I'm afraid £75 per account is unaffordable, as my income and expenditure form shows.

I have set up a standing order for £20 per month to be paid, starting from next week, I can only pay what I can afford.

Please also see attached letter, a copy of which has also been put in today's post.

Comment

I would add something along the lines of, "If you insist on a repayment higher than I can afford I will have no option but to apply direct to the court for a means enquiry hearing in order that the level of repayments can be set by them. As you can see from my I&E sheet, the likelihood is you would end up losing out this way, so I urge you to accept this level of repayment. You simply cannot have what I haven't got to give."

Comment

great, thanks!

Comment

When did you get that response, as today is the 14th and in order for cleared funds to be in jacob's account by today, you would have needed to pay in on last Friday to be sure they had the funds today, I feel Jacobs are actively attempting to garner fees by defaulting the account by setting an unrealistic payment deadline. I go with Labman regarding the reply.

Comment

Posted in error.
                            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

just had a response from jacobs, my original email is in black, theres in red

I'm afraid £75 per account is unaffordable, as my income and expenditure form shows.

I have set up a standing order for £20 per month to be paid, starting from next week, I can only pay what I can afford.

If you insist on a repayment higher than I can afford I will have no option but to apply direct to the court for a means enquiry hearing in order that the level of repayments can be set by them. As you can see from my I&E sheet, the likelihood is you would end up losing out this way, so I urge you to accept this level of repayment. You simply cannot have what I haven't got to give.

Please also see attached letter, a copy of which has also been put in today's post.

Thank you for your email dated November 14th 2013.

Please find attached a statement of each account listing all fees incurred to date.

Our bailiff Mr. Tim Ellis attended your property on both accounts; he was certificated at Liverpool County Court on May 11th 2012.

We must advise that when a warrant is issued the full balance including costs is payable, it is solely at our discretion whether payment by instalments is allowed.

We are not prepared to accept your offer of £20.00 per month to cover both accounts, should we not received a payment of £150.00 within the next 7 days we will have no option but to continue with recovery action on the accounts – further fees maybe incurred.

Yours sincerely,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X