• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bought car from private seller with mileage clocked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bought car from private seller with mileage clocked

Probably but Hitachi already said on record that the car had 173142 miles on the clock when they sold to the salvage agent, who also apparently confirmed to them it was in the region of 170000 so I think the issue is with the mileage after that point.

I wonder if mushi can ask Gumtree for the ad details if he can't access them himself?

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
      I wonder if mushi can ask Gumtree for the ad details if he can't access them himself?
      According to Gumtree's website they only keep deleted ads on their system for 24 hours (which I find hard to believe )

http://help.gumtree.com/articles/Gen...20deleted%20ad

Comment

If there is a suspicion that the seller clocked the mileage isn't this something the OP can report to Action Fraud and let them do the legwork? It's a criminal offence to alter the mileage of a vehicle which may help the OP renegotiate the asking price in retrospect

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Comment

Re: Further Update...reply from Hitachi capital

Originally posted by EXC View Post
          your issue about the mileage is with the individual. Regardless of who clocked the car he is responsible for selling it to you with altered mileage.
          The CAB agree with you that the seller is responsible for checking the mileage is accurate at the point of sale. Did the OP get a receipt for his money showing the perceived mileage regardless of what was advertised on Gumtree? Anything that demonstrates what was on the clock when he bought the car will do.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/...ge_reading.htm

Comment

1. Yes thats right that it doesn't have any mot record coz its less than 3 years old.
            2. Yes it did come with a full honda service history with a mileage of 54000 when I bought it duly stamped by honda. But when I contacted honda for some issues later they had service record until last year upto 129000 miles.
            3. I have tried retrieving the ad on gumtree and ebay but couldn't.
            4. The seller did give me a receipt for the payment he received for the car written "as seen".
            5. Coz he is a private seller so things are bit difficult to chase against him.
            6. But my only point to mention this all was "why was the car still registered under jitachi capital when all this was done"
            Shouldn't they be legally pursued for this as they might have left it intentionally and they might do it on regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by mushi View Post

2. Yes it did come with a full honda service history with a mileage of 54000 when I bought it duly stamped by honda. But when I contacted honda for some issues later they had service record until last year upto 129000 miles.

5. Coz he is a private seller so things are bit difficult to chase against him.
              That's all very odd. Why would Hitachi/Honda provide incorrect mileage on the service record. The 54,000 miles they stated is exactly the same amount as the seller advertised on Gumtree so perhaps he was genuinely hoodwinked too. Is there a possibility that the car hasn't done 170,000? Does it look like it has? Are the pedals worn? Does the service record show new tyres at any stage because I expect those would have worn out a couple of times in 170,000 miles?

Why not get in touch with the seller and ask him nicely to help you get to the bottom of all this. If (and I stress if) you have a claim against him for misstating the mileage then he may also have a claim against Hitachi/Honda for misstating the mileage to him in the first place. You would (both) be claiming the difference between the value of the vehicle at the lower/higher mileage. But you need a good paper trail. Have you got written evidence that Honda subsequently said the service record showed 129,000 miles on the clock or can you get it? And what evidence do you have to prove it had 170,000 miles on the clock at some point? There's always the possibility that whoever looked up the service records got the registration number wrong if this was done over the phone.

Comment

I am pretty sure that the seller hss clocked it before selling it to me and Hitachi capital is not involved in it directly.
                The service history that came with the car had the pages torn out.
                My point was that pursuing this seller for renegotiating the price would be really hard however coz HC is a big organization and they were still the registered keeper of the car at the time of sale, so if pursued properly they can be brought to negotiations.

Comment

And for Plan B...just a reminder that the first and the only registered keeper of the car is Hitachi Capital and they bought it brand new.

Comment

Why are you saying it would be hard to pursue the seller?

Comment

The biggest evidence to prove that the car has done 173000 miles is the letter from Hitachi capital itself which I have copied exactly above as reply.

Comment

The biggest evidence to prove that the car has done 173000 miles is the letter from Hitachi capital itself which I have copied exactly above as reply.
                        Yes that's good evidence but you have to pursue whoever is ultimately legally liable for selling you the car with a bogus mileage and apparently bogus service history, which I'm pretty sure would be the seller.

Comment

coz HC is a big organization and they were still the registered keeper of the car at the time of sale, so if pursued properly they can be brought to negotiations.
                          I know absolutely nothing about car finance but if a car is leased doesn't the finance company remain the owner during the lease period with the driver sometimes (but not always) registered as the "keeper" at DVLA to solve PCN issues etc? Hitachi provide various car finance options such as hire or lease:

http://www.hitachicapitalvehiclesolu...contract-hire/.

You'll need someone else's input on this anomaly.

Comment

It's a bit of a long shot but maybe the BVRLA (British Vehicle Rental & Leasing Association) can help/advise?

http://www.bvrla.co.uk/advice/guidan...leage-database
                            Last edited by MissFM; 8th December 2013, 13:05:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Coz I dont have much of his details and nothing as solid evidence against him. I mean I do have his address and mobile number and thats it. But that address was not the actual address as I remember and he said this was his son's house and they park it there

Comment

Coz I dont have much of his details and nothing as solid evidence against him. I mean I do have his address and mobile number and thats it. But that address was not the actual address as I remember and he said this was his son's house and they park it there
                                Mushi this just gets dodgier and dodgier!

Further to your correspondence regarding your reg no............ i can advise you that Hitachi Capital car solutions sold this car on 21.02.2013 with a disposal mileage of 173142 to a salvage agent and we would have no further interest in this car from that date.
                                Apart from the criminality of clocking cars, I would also worry as to the whether the car were involved in some sort of accident and hence has no further business being on the road at all...

If it were me I would want to know who was the "salvage agent" and what work they did on the car, who they sold it to etc.. This information should be recorded and available.

It sounds very much as if the police should be involved.

I believe that, sadly, there are some less than honest practices in the used car trade.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X