• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Re: Voluntary Termination of Audi A5 with Excess Miles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Voluntary Termination of Audi A5 with Excess Miles

Hi All,

Been reading through with interest as i am currently in the position of getting ready to VT my Audi A5. I got it just over 3 years ago on a 48 month PCP based on 6k miles a year. Shortly after getting car, i got a new job which involved A LOT more miles and will be returning it with just over 80k miles on.

Sooo, if i VT it, am i likely to have to pay the excess mileage or not, as that will be over £6k? When looking for this car originally, i asked a VW dealer what would happen if i went over and he actually told me don't worry, put down the lowest mileage you can and then just VT it for free. Which i thought sounded weird (hadn't heard of VT at that time) but a friend who works at mercedes said lots of people do it.

So, do i have a case to fight any excess mileage claims by them when i VT it?

Thank for your help!
    Tags: None

The VT itself is not an issue and should not be confused with excess mileage. You can VT at any time, no matter what the mileage, free of charge.

However, whether or not it is worth doing so depends on the T&C's. If you have an enforceable mileage clause in the contract, and you were aware what you were signing when you signed the contract, I guess it would be hard to argue the excess mileage per se; what might be possible is to argue how reasonable the charge is.

To my mind, the charge should only reflect any potential decrease in value, otherwise it could be a penalty. I'm not a lawyer though. :beagle:

Comment

Yeah the mileage part is what I'm hoping I can get out of! Currently it's £6k and value of car compared to outstanding finance is £3k difference.
      The clause on vt is separate on own, so do you think I could just play legal card and get away with it? ATM I don't have 6 grand lying around so I don't want to TV then get bill!

Comment

So they would be getting an extra £3000 over and above any decrease in value to the car?

Have I understood that correctly?

Comment

Yes I will owe £6k in mileage, but if I sold car now I would only need to pay them £3k extra to make up outstanding finance.

Comment

Is the mileage charge absolutely crystal clear in the agreement you signed? Are you able to post it up with ALL personal details removed?

Thanks!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X