• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Tupe transfer - i am at my wits end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tupe transfer - i am at my wits end

hi. I hope somebody can help as I am at my wits end here, not helped in that I can't work out how to move down a line, enter key doesn't seem to work so apologies for the running on of this text.

bit of background, started current job in 2006 with the best company I have ever worked for in a home based post. In 2010 TUPED over to a large organisation who after masses of consultation and unbelievable levels of stress agreed to myself and 2 other TUPED employees remaining home based. Now been TUPED over to a Scottish local authority (LA) as of April this year.

I agreed to their terms and conditions because quite frankly they didn't have anything set up to base me at home - this was towards end of march, service due to start beginning of April because I genuinely believed it would be pretty much a box ticking exercise to revert to home working a short time down the line. This appeared to be the case when I applied in August, my line manager and her manager (budget holder) approved, went to ICT who advised I could not use my own broadband or telephone lines as I had done previously and there would be installation costs of £160 and monthly costs of £33 = £7.69 per week.

Instant decline of application due to BURDEN of costs. The budget holder has not held any meetings with me nor looked at any ways in which to make this work, I have several suggestions.

The contract had it remained with the previous supplier would have cost in excess of £80,000 this year, you won't be surprised to hear I am not earning that so there are saving in excess of £50,000 in place. Can they really decline this application based on a £7.69per week cost for equipment they insist I require?

I am in the process of appealing the decision but have been told the resolution meeting will be with the same person that ultimately declined the application, is this legal? Here's hoping somebody can help as I am currently signed off with stress and depression due to the appalling way in which this application has been managed Thanks Denise
    Last edited by Tools; 23rd October 2013, 23:07:PM. Reason: Added paragraphs

Re: Tupe transfer - i am at my wits end

As a starter for you , read
    Enter / Return Key Issues - IE10 / Windows 8

Someone will advise you on your work issues soon
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Hi deniserobson1, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

May I ask whether you have any declared disability?
      Of course you need not answer this, but it does, or may, put a different light on any opinions which may be given.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi, no I do not have any disabilities. thanks Denise

Comment

What were your suggestions to make the situation viable and would they incur any costs to either you or the company?
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Ultimately it is the employer's prerogative to decide whether you can work from home.
            In recent weeks, the CEO of Yahoo, Marissa Meyer, made a decision to bring 'homeworkers' back to the office.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              In recent weeks, the CEO of Yahoo, Marissa Meyer, made a decision to bring 'homeworkers' back to the office.
              http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/05/fa_thompson/

Comment

Hi

The options I would have put forward had I been given the chance were as follows

Have costs deducted from my salary
                Not claim 18 business miles per week
                Ask the LA that due to savings in excess of £50,000 on the contract this year to absorb costs
                To recognise had I insisted on transferring on my existing terms and conditions as was my right they would have had to meet costs anyway

Have an appeal (haha) meeting with the person who declined the application, how is that fair and just?

Here's hoping I can get my life back to normal soon

D

Comment

Prepare your suggestions as a mini presentation type thing, backed up by costs/figures etc so he can see quite clearly that your ideas make sense, I would also put it to him that he could use your findings to present to anyone above him to justify your wish to keep working from home as a "cost cutting measure". If he can put it across as "his" idea then he is more likely to go for it. Unfortunately I have experienced this many times at work and now know how to play the "bosses".

Comment

Originally posted by deniserobson1 View Post

Have an appeal (haha) meeting with the person who declined the application, how is that fair and just?

D
                    Was this an appeal of an official grievance?

If so, it should have been dealt with by an impartial bod.

Check the company Grievance Procedure (it should be accessible via your handbook or via the company intranet).

ACAS have a 'default' code - https://www.gov.uk/solve-workplace-d...mal-procedures
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks to all who have replied

I will be letting them know I want to appeal the decision tomorrow based on grounds of wanting to be given the opportunity to express my views and opinions. To be honest this is now more of a grievance but I have been advised I need to appeal first, still trying to make them see sense in that my appeal should not be heard by the person who ultimately declined the application.

I have now also received a revised referral to Occupational Health which has had the statement from my GP cert removed, it states the contents of the referral have been discussed with me, this is untrue as I the referral was sent while I was off sick, any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help so far, I so want to get this sorted and get back to work doing a job I love

D

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X