• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Victim of fraud..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victim of fraud..

Hi Folks,

My partner had a phone call from her bank yesterday due to some "suspicious activity", they were right someone had fleeced her/us of everything. She's with HSBC and they say they're looking in to it and are trying to trace where it went and how. We get married in eleven days so have some bills to pay, we'll have to cut some stuff i guess.

The biggest problem apart from losing thousands is that they also applied for countless loans, credit cards and bank accounts. My partner is now getting hundreds of emails, texts and calls about "her" applications. Her credit score is through the floor - after two years of working on it so it was pretty good.

I guess i just wondered if anyone knows anything we can do to resolve this quicker? We have the details of HSBC hardship team but is engaged constantly. As my partner was working on her credit score she had a subscription to Experian/Equifax, with identity protection/theft insurance but they didn't notice until today and now they have loads of records of loan/card/bank account applications!

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

rob

Re: Victim of fraud..

This sounds very much like Identity Theft. You need to get as much information as possible from HSBC, Experian and Equifax and report the matter to the police.

Your partner needs to go back and list every transaction they have made in, say, the last 90 days, and try and work out where the security of their identity and account has been compromised. Also, get them to check their email account (if they have one) for any phishing emails that look like genuine emails from a bank, but are far from it.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

The police say its nothing to do with them. They say its up to the bank to resolve and theyll ask for police intervention if they want it.

Comment

We're very careful with emails, even if we trust a sender, like paypal or banks, we always open a new browser and log in to their main website, away from an email.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob0000 View Post
          The police say its nothing to do with them. They say its up to the bank to resolve and theyll ask for police intervention if they want it.
          Cobblers! Which police force said that and was it the civilian support muppet on the front desk or at a call centre, or was it a police officer?

Comment

101 - Dyfed Powys Police

Comment

Hiya Rob

While BB is more of an expert with the whole policing side of it, what kind of things were bought with your partners details?

Comment

101 - Dyfed Powys Police
                You have my sympathy.

Comment

Hi Puff,

we don't know yet. She went in to her local branch today to find out exactly how much was taken but they cant say in what amounts or where or for what yet. They said that could take three days, from what they're saying it does appear they are actively working on it...as opposed to feeling they don't give a hoot.

The money itself can be replaced in time, hopefully the bank can sort that out, i fear the future when we find a load of debt in her name and and lifelong bad credit. Experian will get back to us in 7-10 days with the full list of credit related stuff. I have only seen scare stories in the press where it all goes really badly...im hoping there are stories i don't see where it all works out ok.

i hope the bank knowing something bad was happening will satisfy them that we didn't use the money. Idon't understand how in 48 hours they can make hundreds of loan, card and bank account applications. Physically how can so many forms be completed and submitted - even electronically. Nothing yet has come to our home address, but they do have her email, mobile and our landline number and both her HSBC accounts, although one had Ł1, which they took and they emptied considerably more from the other.

the other problem is for our wedding on 26th we've just discussed all the things we have to cut, and lose various deposits...thats the worst of all.

im with Bluebottle, i cant understand how its not something the police are interested in.

Comment

My daughter-in -law's credit card got 'cloned'...within 24 hours her bank contacted her,cancelled the card,,issued a new one,sent her email with all the transactions on and 'refunded ' her card.
                    We consulted the police and got a 'crime number' too
                    It turned out her details got accessed via an 'Internet Shopping site' (think big river lol)
                    Whats more incredible.......this was LLOYDS bank !

Comment

Ive just got offthe phone witht he police again, once more they're adamant its a civil matter and nothing to do with them. We should contact our solicitor for advice...that would be nice but solicitors charge money and we just had all of ours taken by someone.

i quoted the fraud act (2006), identity documents act (2010) and Forgery and counterfeiting act (1981) and quoted the advice from the crown prosecution service website. He was adamant it was civil and would not record it as a crime.

Comment

Rob,

I don't know who it was you spoke to at Dyfed-Powys Police, but they certainly need a good hard kick up the backside.

How much has been taken from the HSBC accounts in total, please? This should give an indication as to whom, within Dyfed-Powys Police, should be dealing with the matter.

Comment

Have the bank informed the police ? Have you spoken to Action Fraud ?

Originally posted by Action Fraud
                          • Act quickly – you mustn’t ignore the problem. Even though you didn’t order those goods or open that bank account, the bad debts will end up under your name and address.
                          • If you believe you’re a victim of identity fraud involving plastic cards (e.g. credit and debit cards), online banking or cheques, you must report it to your bank as soon as possible. Your bank will then be responsible for investigating the issue and they will report any case of criminal activity to the police. The police will then record your case and decide whether to carry out follow-up investigations.
                          • If you think you’re a victim of another kind of identity fraud, you must report the matter to the relevant organisation. Depending on their advice, you should then alert your local police force.
                          • You should report all lost or stolen documents – such as passports, driving licences, plastic cards, cheque books – to the relevant organisation.
                          • If you’re not sure which organisation to call, contact Action Fraud for advice.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fra...identity_fraud
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                            Have the bank informed the police ? Have you spoken to Action Fraud ?
                            [/LIST]
                            http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fra...identity_fraud
                            I spoke to Action Fraud just after writing my last post, they agree it is a criminal matter and my partner will report it when she gets in from work so we have a crime number.

I've added a comment on Dyfed Powys Polices' Twitter and sent them an email to tell them they're wrong, they wimps because they don't allow comments on their facebook page! I recently taken a liking to using social media to resolve problems, it worked with both BT and Next over recent weeks.

Comment

As Bluebottle says, cobblers. Make a formal complaint against them.

You might even go so far as to contact your local newspaper - a headline along the lines of 'Powys Police say theft no longer a crime' won't go down at all well, particularly with an election in the offing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X