• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Estate finalised but executor will not pay beneficiaries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estate finalised but executor will not pay beneficiaries

Hi,
    this is my first time on here and I am hoping someone can help me.

I am a beneficiary in my uncles estate. The estate has been finalised and a set of accounts were sent out to all beneficiaries to sign off.
    This was 4 weeks ago and 2 of the 5 beneficiaries still haven't signed them.

One said he was not happy with the funeral costs but nothing more and wanted to take advise from a solicitor.

My uncle still hasn't received anything from his solicitor and he is not responding to any emails.

Last week my uncle sent a letter advising that if he didn't get a reply from the 2 remaining beneficiaries he would pay the money out regardless. This should hae happened Friday, but now he is stalling again saying he needs more time and he will speak to his own solicitor again Monday.

Throughout the whole time since my uncle passed away my uncle has been stalling and lying about what we were entitled to.
    although we resolved those issues now it seems he won't pay the money out I'm entitled to.

What can I do to make him send the payments out to us all?

Any help or advice will be greatly received.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Estate finalised but executir will not pay beneficiaries

Frankly, it stinks.

Write to him, Recorded Delivery. State that his conduct as Executor is unsatisfactory and you require the matter to be finalised within 7 days. Make it clear that you will will expect a full accounting and all supporting documents (funeral receipts, for instance).

When dealing with an estate, it is customary to open an executors account. If he has put anything through his personal account, be even more suspicious.

If he fails to comply, engage your own solicitor, and do so quickly. When instructing him/her, make sure you use the phrase 'time is of the essence'. A good, stiff letter shouldn't cost very much and may well save a great deal of trouble later on.
    Last edited by enquirer; 12th October 2013, 09:56:AM.

Comment

Have you seen the Will? You got a copy of the paper to sign too I take it? Was the amount you are getting specified on there?

Agree with enquirer...somethings not right.

Comment

Hi enquirer,

Thanks for replying.

The thing is I don't think there is anything wrong with the accounts.
        In this respect my uncle has explained all the costs and I am satisfied and myself and 2 other beneficiaries have signed off the final accounts.

I just cannot get my uncle to release the inheritance as he keeps saying he needs everyone to sign the accounts off.
        Even though the last 2 remaining beneficiaries haven't replied to his last request giving them 7 days.

Do I have to use a solicitor to bring the matter to a probate court, to get him to release the money?

Thanks

Comment

Hi inca,

There was no will. So my uncle applied to probate to be the personal representative.
          It took some time for him to see me and my brothers were entitled to my deceased mothers share I the estate. ( my uncle had no children or wife)

This was all resolved and he has agreed o our share and showed it on the final estate but won't release the money.

Thanks

Comment

There was no will. So my uncle applied to probate to be the personal representative.
            Intestate - it gets worse.

It took some time for him to see me and my brothers were entitled to my deceased mothers share I the estate. ( my uncle had no children or wife)
            Oh, so he didn't 'see it' to start with.

This was all resolved and he has agreed o our share and showed it on the final estate but won't release the money.
            Given that he won't release the money and is now wanting to 'see his solicitor', it would appear that it isn't resolved after all.

The warning signs are all there. Act on them.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
              Intestate - it gets worse.
              Totally agree again

Comment

So..Uncle has Letters of Administration? Who decided who got what?
                As regards your entitlement..you are correct..because your Mum predeceased your Uncle,you become what is known as 'residual beneficiaries'

I think you are going to seek advice from a solicitor...for your own sake,,cos the story doesn't make sense,,and if it doesn't make sense it's normally not true (on your Uncles part)

Are we talking a lot of money? (don't answer that if you don't want to)

Comment

Ok. Thanks for your replys. I will have to contact a solicitor.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                    So..Uncle has Letters of Administration? Who decided who got what?
                    As regards your entitlement..you are correct..because your Mum predeceased your Uncle,you become what is known as 'residual beneficiaries'

I think you are going to seek advice from a solicitor...for your own sake,,cos the story doesn't make sense,,and if it doesn't make sense it's normally not true (on your Uncles part)

Are we talking a lot of money? (don't answer that if you don't want to)

Hi not a fortune but a lot to me. £25000 is my share

Comment

Crikey...25k IS a lot of money......see a solicitor

Comment

If you google beneficiaries of estate sign off and have a read of the top link (this thread is the second link) there might be some useful information in there.

Someone with a similar issue went to a solicitor and the options given were

1. To distribute the estate notwithstanding the lack of approval of accounts (without approval, there is a risk to the estate in connection with further costs accruing and potential actions being brought by one or more beneficiary )

2. As administrator bring an action asking the Court to examine the accounts and give directions as to the distribution.

3. As administrator make an application to the Court for an order under s.63 Trustee Act 1925 for the estate to be paid into Court.
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                          If you google beneficiaries of estate sign off and have a read of the top link (this thread is the second link) there might be some useful information in there.

Someone with a similar issue went to a solicitor and the options given were

1. To distribute the estate notwithstanding the lack of approval of accounts (without approval, there is a risk to the estate in connection with further costs accruing and potential actions being brought by one or more beneficiary )

2. As administrator bring an action asking the Court to examine the accounts and give directions as to the distribution.

3. As administrator make an application to the Court for an order under s.63 Trustee Act 1925 for the estate to be paid into Court.

Thanks I will take a look.
                          i received an email from my uncle today, which he sent to everyone, saying that as he has answered everyone queries with the estate he will send the money on monday. but now one of the beneficiaries has said that he still isn't happy and will be emailing another set of questions so now again my uncle has said he won't pay the rest of us out.
                          can one beneficiary hold the process up like this?

thanks

Comment

Re: Estate finalised but executor will not pay beneficiaries

Also another thread on similar issues http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...estate-account
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Did you receive a copy of the email direct from the person asking the new questions or just from your uncle?(ie were you cc'd into it or did your uncle notify you seperately)
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X