• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mindless malicious vandalism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mindless malicious vandalism

Hello
    I need advice really, so I will come to the point. Recently i have been the victim
    of youth mindless vandalism to my property and myself, stone broke through my
    window hitting me. They are gaining access over a 7ft high fence owned by a large
    Supermarket,which my house backs on to. I have requested from the Supermarket
    management,that they may consider vandal paint topping the fence,also CCTVcoverage
    of this area, am I being reasonable, and how far can I take this.
    They are at the moment unconcerned and not very empathetic,it has happened on more than 1 occasion.as I am very scared and panic at nights I would appreciate any advice.
    Thankyou.
    Tags: None

Re: Mindless malicious vandalism

Hi help4u,& welcome to Legal Beagles.

Have you contacted the police, if only to get a crime ref no.? (Best to go in person, I believe.)

Have you documented this? ('photos)?

Do you have CCTV?

Is there a local neighbourhood watch?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

As Charitynjw suggests, contact the Police. Get a crime number for the damage and make sure that the beat officer is aware - preferably speaking to him or her in person. This puts it firmly on the radar.

If your neighbours have also experienced problems, join forces to complain.

Although holding the supermarket responsible would be very difficult - the fence is 7ft and presumably in good repair - contacting them again in writing, pointing out that the police are now involved, may prompt a more positive response.

A CCTV camera would probably be a good investment, as might external security lights. If the fence permits, you might extend it further on your side with a trellis or some such obstacle.

Your local councillor might also be interested - as they may need planning permission later on, supermarkets are usually keen to stay on the right side of these people.

Comment

Are these youths throwing stones from an external area of the supermarket to which the public have access or to which they are not normally permitted to have access, e.g. an enclosed loading/unloading yard. If the latter, the supermarket operator does need to engage as it would tend to indicate their security is somewhat wanting and they need to do something about it.

Notifying the police, as other posters have recommended, is essential. Once the police have the report on their Incident Log, they can refer to other similar incidents and this, then, builds up a picture of anti-social behaviour in a particular area.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Are these vandals actually scaling this 7ft to gain access to your property? If so a nice thorn hedge at the base of the fence (if possible) we found to be a very effective deterrent.

Comment

If you're a dog lover a Rottweiller might do the trick but similarly the local press have been known to galvanise Supermarkets into being more actively helpful for reasons outlined above

Comment

Thankyou for your reply, yes the police were informed by me as it happened.The youths are throwing stones
              from the Supermarket car park, (a very large one)there are no gates, it is totally open to anyone, but does not close till 11pm.
              They are scaling the fence,then using it as a shield,when back over so you cant see them. I am willing to put CCTV on my side
              Only thing is it is useless if they throw stones as they cant be seen. The Supermarket have said they cant (or wont) cover the area
              With CCTV.There is a very tall streetlamp which shines over the fence area at my garden,from the car park. It would be ideal
              for a camera. But also aids the vandals to see.

Comment

Thankyou. You are of course right,good advice. I have informed my councillor, small inroads, but the Supermarket wont budge on putting
                CCTV coverage.

Comment

Yes I wish. I have a dog, but it wont even bark it is so soft.

Comment

Yes they have done, good advice, but still wont stop stones coming over.

Comment

Thankyou for your advice, I have a police number, plus proof of crime etc I have put up a motion sensor light,but
                      it will not stop the stone throwing.

Comment

I know this may be of little consolation to you but I have in the past had problems with school children causing damage. The majority of the time they goad you to try and get a reaction, the more you react, the more they come back. When they are throwing stones etc, do you go out and shout at them etc? If so I would advise you to TRY not to react and just telephone the police on each occasion. It can be very frustrating I know and even make you ill at times but eventually if they get no reaction, they tend to get bored and stop.

Good advice previously from everyone, may I also add have you spoken to the head office/regional office of the supermarket as well as the branch manager?
                        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

A trellis on the top of the fence would certainly not support the weight of the junior Untermensch who like to clamber up, but one gets the impression that they would not mind breaking the trellis if they could. Moreover, the trellis would also prevent other measures being taken, such as fitting plastic. anti-climb strips near the top of your side of the fence. The spikes are relatively blunt. so they'll not puncture the skin, but they're sharp enough to deter someone from gripping the top of the fence. (Do not use carpet gripper strips instead, as you might face some awkward questions if the local scrotes whined to the police about their shredded fingertips!)

Alternatively, an electric cattle fence could be used, with a couple of bare wires near the top of the fence.

To persuade them to bugger off and bother someone else, try a Mosquito. (link)

Comment

Brilliant suggestions, Cloggy, especially the Mosquito!

Comment

If it's a concrete fence, it might be an idea to cut through one of the panels:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X