• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halifax and Equality Act breach?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax and Equality Act breach?

Hi all J
    I'm looking for some advice. I recently had problems with my Digital Banking (usually how I manage my money) so had to call Halifax's telephone banking. I entered in all my details on the keypad then was put through to an advisor who had more security questions. She got to a question about a credit in my account. I could see there was a transfer I made from one account to another but also a cheque had cleared that day, so I asked her which it was she required. I have cognition difficulties due to ME so I was really confused by this question. But the advisor was no use and told me she couldn't help me, and then repeated to ask the same question over and over and over again, even though she could hear me getting upset (crying) and frustrated. I didn't understand what she wanted from me. I felt inferior, stupid and to be frank, discriminated against by them because of my cognition difficulties.

Their suggestion for a "reasonable adjustment" is to set up a telephone banking security number - but to do so requires me to go through security questions like the previous time! I took the case to the Financial Ombudsman and the lady there thoroughly understand how I felt, but told me they couldn't dictate security procedures to them. I just wondered what I should do next if anything? I feel really frustrated as the lady at the Executive Office is being of no help and refuses to look at my case again because it's been to Ombudsman. So I'm left with no way of using telephone banking unless I want a repeat of last time! Her advice was to "have a statement of account in front of me" - I did that last time and asked for clarity and it caused this whole mess. ANy advice you could give would be fantastic. Thank you.
    Last edited by louisemarie; 7th October 2013, 15:35:PM. Reason: Posted all to one side, trying to fix!
    Tags: None

Re: Halifax and Equality Act breach?

Ah sorry about it all being in one crazy column, not sure how to fix it? Lou - Fixed it now!

Comment

Your experience with the FOS is probably typical of the Fobbing Off Service - they fobbed you off without offering any further help.

Equality issues are presently still dealt with by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (link) - so make your complaint before Cameron's lot abolishes it.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        Your experience with the FOS is probably typical of the Fobbing Off Service - they fobbed you off without offering any further help.

Equality issues are presently still dealt with by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (link) - so make your complaint before Cameron's lot abolishes it.

Thank you so much

Comment

Sorry to hear the OPs problem but they have all these security questions for their security as well as the Banks I cannot see any easy answers for the problem without compromising security.
          Its al very frustrating for all of us when we get lots of questions but is there another way?

Comment

See if the girl had just told me it was the cheque balance she needed I could have told her it no problem; no compromise to security. I'm trying to get them to let me set up the telephone banking"security number" by going into branch with ID.

I think one of the things that bothered me was how awful it made me feel, I felt useless because I couldn't understand it and I was upset and Halifax haven't really properly apologised, it was frankly a horrid experience and they've just been really uppity about it all!

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
              is there another way?
              Yes.

Either agree a password - or phrase - with the bank, or have them stick to obscure personal questions such as one's inside leg measurement, the name of one's latest dog or the dog's inside leg measurement.

Comment

Reading your posts on here you are far from useless put it down to them being useless

Comment

Thank you, that's really nice of you to say

Comment

Its true. If you read as many posts as I have on LB you will find at times we all think we are useless specially at times when we have problems its called being human.

Comment

Hi Louisemarie,

I'm saddened to read your posts. I note from your first post that due to your ME you have a few cognition problems. For a separate illness, I get this at times, and I am dealt with by people trained specifically to deal with 'vulnerable' people (for want of a better word). It might be worth asking - you tend to find the first line Customer Service Advisers don't even know these departments exist. With my bank it is within the Money Management Team and called the 'Support and Review Team' - they are very understanding and explain very clearly (and repeatedly if necessary).

I know you shouldn't have to ask, but it might help you. It has me! :beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X