• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

EDF only read electricity meter, not gas, for four years.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF only read electricity meter, not gas, for four years.

EDF suggested I signed up for gas as well as electricity in April 2009, because both invoices would be on the same bill and one direct debit would cover the two. It seemed a good idea to ensure all went well and I agreed. All went well until I left the property four years later and discovered they were not billing enough for gas and presented me with a bill for £5000. They claimed I never submitted an estimate - but I do not recall being asked for one. I lived in an area with housenames only and post frequently was not delivered to the correct property. After the direct debit was set up, a meter reader came to the house at regular intervals and because I was told all would be on the same bill, I assumed both meters would be read together. It seems this was not the case. Only an electricity meter reader ever came. There was no separate gas meter reader. I complied with all at my end to keep transactions smooth and feel let down that EDF says there is nothing wrong with the bill and that the companies are separate. Yet I know of people who have had both electric and gas meters read by one person. I said my landlord had removed a faulty thermostat in Feb 2011 and up to when I left the property, in August 2013, it had not been replaced but EDF said this would not have made a difference to the bill. It was only when I gave the final reading in August 2013 that this all came to light. I am a pensioner on a minute pension and while they are offering 'terms' for me to pay off this sum, they are not taking any responsibility for misleading me or for not sending a meter reader. By law, don't they have to send a meter reader twice a year? Do I have any recourse to justice?Am I naive to expect them to reduce the sum due to their not having met their contractual obligation to send a meter reader and having misled me into thinking the two companies were, in fact one when now I am told they are two?
    Last edited by Pensioner; 9th September 2013, 23:57:PM. Reason: TAGS: EDF, no meter readings
    Tags: None

Re: EDF only read electricity meter, not gas, for four years.

http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/publicat...sh/43/411.html

2. Meter readings

Suppliers will offer a range of options to make sure
    that they obtain and record the most up to date and
    accurate meter reading.
    2.1 Your supplier will attempt to obtain a meter reading on a
    regular basis, at least every two years as a minimum, either
    by visiting your premises or explaining how you can provide
    your own reading.
    2.2 Where a valid read has been obtained this will be used to
    improve the accuracy of your bill /statement.
    2.3 It is important to check the accuracy of meter readings used
    on your bill, including estimated ones. Suppliers will provide
    information to help you understand the importance of the
    meter reading process.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

You may be interested in this article. In summary, OFGEM are saying that if the mistake is by the supplier than they can only bill for the previous 12 months. Hope you can get your suppliers to admit it is their mistake.

Comment

Charity's link: Section 5 BACK BILLING.: 5.1 If your supplier is at fault, they will not seek additional payment for unbilled energy accrued more than one year prior to the bill being issued.

EDF have signed upto this code of practice.

Comment

That is enormously helpful, des8 Jack Russell! At least I now have a hinge on which to base my dispute with them. They never sent a gas meter reader, despite setting up the two utilities to run closely as one. I did not know they had a duty to send meter readers on a regular basis until I saw other notes on this site which, btw, I think is absolutely awesome. I never denied the meter readers access and no one ever said he or she was only reading one meter. I had absolutely no reason to doubt that the system was running. When I queried why they did not telephone me if they were not receiving telephone estimates - I genuinely did not see those letters I was alleged to have been sent - I was told that they had too many people to chase up and that would have been impractical. To my mind, they failed in their duty to provide what was agreed, which formed the basis of my choosing them as utility suppliers for electricity and gas. Thank you from the depths of my soul, JR! A grateful Pensioner.
          Last edited by Pensioner; 10th September 2013, 08:30:AM. Reason: Still not sure of ropes. Am Beagle embryo, not yet pup ...

Comment

Glad to have been of help, and good luck in your fight.
            If you need further help, don't hesitate to ask.
            Generally someone on this site will have been there, done that and got the Tee shirt!

Comment

You're an utter treasure, des8. Thanks a squillion. They are calling me at the end of the week, ostensibly to see what terms of payment I can be persuaded to agree upon. I can't agree to something which I believe in earnest is their error. May I ask another question, please? I have just moved and do not wish to use EDF again. I've seen First Utility promising all sorts of beneficial features. Will my dispute with EDF affect switching suppliers, in view of a home move? Will that cause a blemish on my exemplary track record? Is this a declarable incident? I would not withhold information, of course, if asked, but is it relevant and essential to declare:tinysmile_hmm_t2:?

Comment

Ostell, I am new and obviously very green. I don't think I thanked you. I thought you and Des8 were the same - I had a duuuuh moment - but I really am so hugely grateful for your intervention. Both of you have been utterly ace and have provided extremely valuable information. With enormous gratitude - Pensioner

Comment

Another article:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...d-systems.html

Comment

Sorry, but can't give a definite yes or no on this question.
                    If there is an account outstanding for more than 28 (?) days, or if it is in excess of £100 (?) the existing supplier can object to you moving to a new supplier in your existing property. (I think the times and amount are about right).
                    If you are moving to a new property and chose a different supplier I don't know if they can object, or would even know. The new property could already be supplied by another company and you might just keep them on. I would just complete the new application form and see what happens.

A gentle reminder: do remember to take meter readings in both properties as you move.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Indeed lol! When I googled it, there were two pages full of different ways for customers to submit their own readings for edf. That doesn't excuse them not doing it, but it gives them a lot of wriggle room. :beagle:

Comment

Have to think that EDFs defence would be The Customer could have supplied readings? why they did not we don't know I cannot understand why they did not.
                        If the law says the company has to read the meter at least once in 2 years and cannot charge if they don't then they only pay for 2 years,if not they could be liable after all they used the gas same as the rest of us.
                        Time for the OP to find out exactly what the situation is and either pay whats owed or try to hammer out a deal.

Comment

Hi again,
                          Having mulled the matter over further, I cannot understand why EDF did not send an estimated bill....how many businesses would continue supplying services for four years without billing? Somehow you slipped through the net. This would account for you not receiving any requests for a meter reading .... you weren't on their radar.
                          They claim they have too many people to chase up and that would be impractical. What a peculiar excuse! When I had my own business cash flow was almost the most important part of remaining afloat, and I doubt it is much different for them. They are trying to find excuses.
                          They are trying to get you to pay for the errors caused by their inefficiency.
                          I note they are phoning you later this week. MY advice is don't discuss it on the phone. Tell them you want all contact in writing. If you can't do that, try and record any conversation and in any event get the name of the person you speak to, note the day and time and confirm your understanding of the conversation by recorded letter.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X