• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car refund refusal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Car refund refusal

Playing Devil's Advocate, the cambelt is not due for change until 80000 miles, so why should they change it? Would they compromise and do it for cost price?

Comment

No they refuse point blank to change it at all. Which is why I am at a loss of what to do.
      It was overdue on time over 2 years ago. All a bit of a confusing mess. Not given up with MBNA yet.

Originally posted by labman View Post
      Playing Devil's Advocate, the cambelt is not due for change until 80000 miles, so why should they change it? Would they compromise and do it for cost price?

Comment

Excuse my ignorance?when you brought the car it had done 62k miles a cambelt change should be at 80k how can it have been overdue 2 years ago?
        It seems your not getting the result you want from the dealer is it now the time to take the action that's needed to resolve it to your satisfaction a court case or get it repaired by them but independently checked

Comment

Not ignorance at all. VW stipulate that the cambelt is due at 80k OR 4 years whichever comes first. Thats why it is overdue. My position is that I should have been told about that as I would definitely have walked away.

Comment

wasn't saying your ignorance,
            think you need to take action maybe a ccj from what I read they will not do what you want

Comment

From what I can find out from reading they say 6 years, but presumably you have the handbook for your specific model and engine. That would mean it pretty much needs doing.

It is a general wear and tear item though. Considering the figures involved, I'd see if they can sort the gearbox, and if they do successfully, I'd get the cambelt done myself somewhere. Probably wrong consumer advice wise, but probably best car advice wise.

Comment

Whilst I normally go along with the advice to avoid litigation if at all possible, in this case it seems to me that a vehicle has been sold which was not fit for purpose, and the customer is getting short shrift.

This revolves round not only the oil leak (which the sellers agree to fit) but also the need for the cam belt to be renewed. This is not just wear and tear, but an essential part which NEEDS renewing at set intervals. If it is not renewed I believe you may be able to argue the vehicle is not fit for purpose. I certainly would not drive a vehicle needing a cam belt change because of the risk of major damage to the engine. VW dealership used to charge about £400 twelve months ago so it is not a cheap item.

There was also mention in OP's first post of myriad other faults.

The OP has to weigh the cost, stress and chances of winning in court (never a certainty) against the costs of sorting the problems himself.

Perhaps get the oil leak fixed and then picket the dealership, handing out leaflets to prospective purchasers... That might get them negotiating.
                Certainly a dealer to avoid in future

Comment

Thanks very much all of you for your continuing advice.

Comment

Long chat with MBNA "legal team" today. Claim rejected on grounds that I have to let the dealer fix the car. He refuses to replace the cambelt which is overdue as I have stated earlier. MBNA claim that the dealer told them that I was made aware the cambelt was out of date and has confirmed this in writing. I demanded a copy of the letter and they duly obliged. The letter states no such thing. In fact the letter makes no sense whatsoever.

Talked to dealer yesterday. Taped the conversation. In it he states that he told me the cambelt did not need replacing until 80,000 miles. So, verbal agreement that he misrepresented the car albeit through ignorance.

So, the way I see it, I have been screwed royally by MBNA. They have fobbed me off with a generic - let the dealer fix it - line that they probably use for all car matters.

If I give him the car and it is returned without a new cambelt I still maintain that the car is not fit for purpose. Am I right?

getting very very frustrated, mainly with MBNA, because I think that they have dealt with the matter quite appallingly. I have escalated it to the the next level with them as I think I have mainly been dealing with their underlings.

Comment

Trying to add the letter as an attachment but being a bit thick. Bear with me!

Comment

Has this worked?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hiya, Yes it worked, I've just taken it down while I depersonalise it (as you left all your details on it which isn't advisable - attachments are only visible by registered users of the site but that's over 35k people it is always best to take personal information off of documents before uploading) Five mins xx
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Here we go Letter from Garage Proprietor to MBNA.

Attached Files
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by eifedwards View Post
                              Long chat with MBNA "legal team" today.
                              Rather than their "illegal team"?

getting very very frustrated, mainly with MBNA, because I think that they have dealt with the matter quite appallingly.
                              Perhaps the Mafia Bank of North America would prefer not to understand their liability under section 75 (link) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974?

I have escalated it to the the next level with them as I think I have mainly been dealing with their Untermensch.
                              I've fixed your post for you. :rofl:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X