• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

“We need to stop just pulling people out of the river.” – Jack Monroe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “We need to stop just pulling people out of the river.” – Jack Monroe

I hope the incredible 'Girl Called Jack' doesn't mind me posting up this inspired piece of writing. It's been a while since a string of words caused me to actually cry, but it happened today when I read this piece.

I've been a huge fan since she revealed last year how she was inventing cheap, delicious recipes for her son instead of resorting to fast food or bad food.
    But her article 'verbalised' my deep frustration at how 'the system' is designed to trip up the vulnerable. Look at Stormcrows thread....a 65yr old man bankrupted for a £1300 debt that could cause him to lose his home and become fully dependent on the state. Yet the original creditor has offset that against tax and is sitting pretty. There MUST be better safeguards and at least once I'd finished blubbing, I could look at myself and feel certain that I am not sitting smugly by, watching suffering and not doing something to help. xxx

HOME ANGRY BIRD “WE NEED TO STOP JUST PULLING PEOPLE OUT OF THE RIVER.” – JACK MONROE IN THE HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT, 3 JUNE 2013
    “We need to stop just pulling people out of the river.” – Jack Monroe in the Houses of Parliament, 3 June 2013

BY JACK MONROE (OURSOUTHEND) on JUNE 4, 2013 • ( 50 )
    The full text from my speech in the Houses of Parliament, June 3rd 2013.
    This morning, small Boy had one of the last weetabix, mashed with a little water, and a glass of tap water to wash it down with.
    Where’s Mummy’s breakfast? He asks, all blue eyes and two year old concern.
    I tell him I’m not hungry, but the gnawing pains in my stomach call me a liar.
    But what else can you do?
    What else can you do – when you’ve turned off your heating? That was in November 2011, it went off at the mains and I parked furniture in front of it to forget that it was ever there, to alleviate the temptation to turn it on.
    What else can you do, when you’ve turned everything off at the wall sockets, when you become obsessive about unplugging things, down to the green LCD display on the oven, mockingly flashing away.
    You learn to go without things, you unscrew the light bulbs. You turn the hot water off and pretend the freezing cold shower is ‘invigorating’, but it shocks you every time.
    You sell the meagre DVD collection for an even more meagre sum, your sons toys, everything you own.
    But poverty isn’t just having no heating, or not quite enough food, unplugging your fridge and turning your hot water off.
    Poverty is the choking, sinking feeling when your small boy finishes his one weetabix, and he says:
    More Mummy? Bread and jam please Mummy?
    And you’re wondering how to carry the tv and the guitar to the pawn shop, and how to tell him that there is no bread and jam.
    I’m Jack Monroe. That was an excerpt from my blog, from July 2012.
    I’m a 25 year old single mother to a 3 year old boy, and I was unemployed for 16 months.
    I’m one of the lucky ones.
    I have no TV, no heating, and no car, and many evenings have gone by with no dinner, but I’m one of the lucky ones. Because around six months ago, I was referred to my local food bank for help.
    I had been attending a support group for single mums on a Wednesday, and to be honest I only went for the free lunch. One of the women who ran the group noticed that my son and I always had seconds, and thirds, and quietly asked me if everything was okay.
    I lied, and I said that I was fine.
    Because that’s the trouble, when you have holes in your socks and holes in your jeans, and your collar bones are jutting out of the two jumpers you wear to keep warm – you tell everyone that everything is okay.
    Because you think if you admit to skipping meals, to feeding your child the same cold pasta with tomatoes for four nights in a row, you worry that you might lose him, that he might be taken into care. And in the cold, in the despair and desolation, your son is the only thing that stops you stepping off the flyover you walk over every day. So you say you’re fine.
    But she filled out a form for me despite my protestations, and one Tuesday morning, I joined a queue 60 deep, of mothers in push chairs, outside a community centre, and I waited almost an hour for five tins of food and a packet of nappies.
    When Oxfam released their report, Walking The Breadline, this Thursday, it stayed that half a million people in the UK are currently dependent on food banks.
    But food banks, while meeting a need, are not the solution.
    To paraphrase Desmond Tutu, there comes a point where you need to not just pull people out of the river. You need to go upstream and find out who is pushing them in.
    So what would I do? Having lived the quality control measures of Government cock-ups for the past year and a half, what would I change?
    Well I agree that welfare needs to be reformed, but not like this. Not these damning cuts and sanctions and work capability assessments. Start by making things better for people, not worse.
    Start by paying housing benefit monthly, not four weekly, in line with most peoples rent and mortgage payments. To spell it out, in my local area, LHA is £635 a month. But paid four weekly, it’s just £586. The additional £49 needs to be topped up, usually out of income support, which is money that should be used for heating, clothes and food. Paying housing benefit monthly would also be cheaper to administer, as payments would be made twelve, not thirteen times a year.
    Secondly, raise the minimum wage to a living wage. Minimum wage for an adult is currently £6.19 an hour. A living wage is estimated at £7.25. By my quick and crude calculations, minimum wage earners working less than 28 hours a week will not be paying tax on their earnings. By raising it to a living wage, people who work over 22 hours a week will be in the threshold for paying tax. Also, slightly higher incomes mean decreased eligibility for benefits. I’m quite a simple person – but more money into the economy in the form of taxes and higher income, added to less money coming out of the welfare pot, can only be a good thing to help restore the health of the economy and incentivise work over benefits.
    I’ve actually taken the liberty of writing a 14 point plan, and i’m pleased to see today that Asda have adopted one of the points, although I shan’t take the credit, and will be donating some of their food waste to food banks and other humanitarian incentives.
    Again, I don’t believe food banks are the solution. They’re currently a life line for half a million people in this, the seventh richest country in the world.
    But isn’t it time that we stopped just pulling people out of the river, and instead, let’s go upstream, and stop pushing them in.
    Jack Monroe. Twitter: @MsJackMonroe

"Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X