• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Accident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Accident

HELP!!!!!...........I was recently involved in a car accident where I was hit in the rear. The third party has admitted it is there fault and my car is now being repaired. What I need help with is claiming for a neck injury which occured when I was flung forward in my seat and then my head hit my head rest when I went back. My insurance company have passed on the details of a firm of solicitors called Irwin Mitchell to me, but after reading a few reviews on the internet about them, I am a bit concerned about using them. They have already contacted me and gone through some of the details on the form, but because I couldnt answer all the questions at the time, they are sending the paper work through to me to complete and then return. They have also told me that I have 7 days to decide if I still want to go ahead with the claim, and if not I must let them know within this time period.
    Please could someone give me some advice on what I should do..............do I go with this firm of solicitors? or do i choose one for myself?

The thing is, I pay extra on my car insurance for Legal Protection, so if I dont use the firm that has been appointed to me by my insurance, am I ok to do this?

many thanks
    Tracy :tinysmile_cry_t:
    Tags: None

Re: Car Accident

Right, Generally speaking if you want to proceed with a claim under your Legal Protection Policy you have to use the solicitors appointed by your insurers. You can ask to use a different firm, but you would have to justify the request and it is doubtful if repeating what you have read on the internet would be sufficient!
    As the third party has admitted liability there should be no problem with this claim. All that should be necessary is to prove your level of injury (doctor's job) and quantify your damages (this is done to a scale). Any half competent solicitor could do this. I'm more concerned that they are giving you a seven day time limit. Sounds like they are pushing to make sure you don't go elsewhere, and that is cause for concern.
    As you are unhappy with Irwin Mitchell's reputation I'd be looking round to find a "no win no fee" solicitor to take this on. As other party have admitted liability this should not be difficult. When (and if) you appoint them, notify the insurers that they are no longer handling the claim on your behalf.
    IMO Legal Expenses policies added on to car insurance are hardly worth the paper they are printed on.

Comment

All I can say is I was referred to Irwin Mitchell after being very badly let down ( basic competence ) by a another legal firm. They have done a good job for me.

Comment

My son was recently critically injured in an rta, was in a coma on life support, thankfully he has made a speedy recovery
        We made a few enquiries with different PI solicitors, but were unhappy with their attitude and sloppyness. After being recommended to try Irwin Mitchell, all I can say is that they have been excellent, we cannot fault them, and they are forging ahead with my sons claim. Everything has been clearly explained and was not put under any pressure whatsoever

Comment

The problem with reading reviews on the internet is people tend to write about bad experiences and not good experiences, so it doesn't give a true picture. If they were all bad, they wouldn't be the size they are, but like any company there'll be good ones and bad ones.

I have a strict policy of complaining to CEO's about poor customer service, but equally I write to the CEO's to compliment them on good customer service without fail. IMO, not enough people write to compliment, but are quick to complain.

Comment

Hi Racy Tracy & welcome to Legal Beagles.

With the ushering in of new rules concerning recoverable costs, I for one wonder how this is going to affect these add-on legal expenses covers which are so ubiquitous.
            ATE, a very expensive form of insurance, & pretty much a pre-requisite for CFA's, used to be claimed back by the winning party's solicitors.
            That is no longer the case.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks very much for all your replies. To Kanine and CYNthesys, how long ago was it that you used Irwin Mitchell? I had a phone call yesterday from a company called EasyClaims based in Liverpool. They were enquiring about my car accident, but one thing they said has got me thinking. They wanted to know if I had already been passed on to a solicitors, I told them that I had been given details via my own insurance people and they wanted to know the name of the solicitors. I didn't tell them (of course), but they said that the main one that most insurance companies use is Irwin Mitchell, and that if they had suggested using these then would I please check reviews about them on the internet first. I asked them why and he said that for every claim that is passed on to them via an insurance company and successful, they receive commission for and because of this they can only offer the minimum amount for a standard claim...........where as other solicitors would fight for the maximum amount possible. If anything this has left me even more confused. Im even considering not bothering now, because its already getting me down....any help would be great

tracy

Comment

My sons accident was on 26th May this year in which he suffered a traumatic brain injury. My son was riding a pedal cycle when he was struck by a van, so his car insurance is not involved and I just rang round a number of solicitors on his behalf.
                Contacted Irwin Mitchell about 3 weeks ago. My son has had 2 home visits from them so far, and has just signed CFA agreement this week. Irwin Mitchell has been the most helpful solicitor that we contacted, nothing seems to be much too trouble

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                  Hi Racy Tracy & welcome to Legal Beagles.

With the ushering in of new rules concerning recoverable costs, I for one wonder how this is going to affect these add-on legal expenses covers which are so ubiquitous.
                  ATE, a very expensive form of insurance, & pretty much a pre-requisite for CFA's, used to be claimed back by the winning party's solicitors.
                  That is no longer the case.
                  I think Cel or PT are the ones to answer following all the chaos caused by the Jackson reforms.

Comment

Yes huge changes in the PI market following Jackson reforms. I've spoken to Irwin Mitchell myself on a couple of matters and found them to be excellent. Every large firm has negative reviews online, but this doesn't reflect all the positive outcomes. The other group I would recommend checking out are Quality Solicitors - a national group (my own firm is part of them) and they have VERY high customer service standards.

http://www.qualitysolicitors.com/ind...FXHMtAodCX0AIw
                    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hi,

Get over with confusions. Talk in detail with the solicitors, if still you don't feel like choosing them for your claim. Go for another 1. I hope you can get more experienced solicitors to settle down your claim.

Thanks,
                      Jhon

http://www.clearwatersolicitors.co.u...fic-accidents/

Comment

Originally posted by Racy Tracy View Post
                        Thanks very much for all your replies. To Kanine and CYNthesys, how long ago was it that you used Irwin Mitchell? I had a phone call yesterday from a company called EasyClaims based in Liverpool. They were enquiring about my car accident, but one thing they said has got me thinking. They wanted to know if I had already been passed on to a solicitors, I told them that I had been given details via my own insurance people and they wanted to know the name of the solicitors. I didn't tell them (of course), but they said that the main one that most insurance companies use is Irwin Mitchell, and that if they had suggested using these then would I please check reviews about them on the internet first. I asked them why and he said that for every claim that is passed on to them via an insurance company and successful, they receive commission for and because of this they can only offer the minimum amount for a standard claim...........where as other solicitors would fight for the maximum amount possible. If anything this has left me even more confused. Im even considering not bothering now, because its already getting me down....any help would be great

tracy
                        Irwin Mitchell have been acting for me since Jan this year and have pursued a very serious matter on my behalf. Their service and attention are excellent, What has really alarmed me was my previous firm who demanded, and got a significant amount of funds up front and made a pigs ear of everything, and cost us months if not years in resolving my situation.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X