• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax summons.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Council tax summons.

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
    he was locked up for writing bad jokey lines on forums welcome back hope the humour improves when hes good he makes me laugh
    I did try, but failed miserably, to temporarily don the clogs!

An impossible (& rather smelly) feet!
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Sleepyhead,

You have just two questions to ask yourself really:

1. Are you responsible for the Council Tax?

2. Did you fail to make payment(s)?

If so, you were in debt to them, they have the right to cancel the monthly repayment arrangement and the cheapest way out of it is to pay them now and put it down to experience.

Can you afford to pay them now? If not, please post up and we'll see if we can do anything further.

Which council is it?

Comment

Originally posted by labman
        If so, you were in debt to them, they have the right to cancel the monthly repayment arrangement ...
        Many councils have guidelines requiring that 1-2 reminders be ignored before the installment facility is withdrawn. Does that apply to this council? If so, have they breached their own guidelines?

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
          Many councils have guidelines requiring that 1-2 reminders be ignored before the installment facility is withdrawn. Does that apply to this council? If so, have they breached their own guidelines?
          Indeed - as I said earlier, this is very harsh, but not necessarily unlawful. I've asked which council it is in Post #17. :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
            Sleepyhead,

You have just two questions to ask yourself really:

1. Are you responsible for the Council Tax?

2. Did you fail to make payment(s)?

If so, you were in debt to them, they have the right to cancel the monthly repayment arrangement and the cheapest way out of it is to pay them now and put it down to experience.

Can you afford to pay them now? If not, please post up and we'll see if we can do anything further.

Which council is it?
            1. Yes i am responsible for council tax.
            2.Yes.
            Council in question is Liverpool cc.

I cannot afford to pay them tax and costs.

I went to one-stop shop for advice .i asked if it could be deducted from benefits ,but she says a Liability order must first be issued by magistrates for such action.Will also incur more costs in court.

I have little money as it is,the cost of 28 pounds against the 50+ pounds i owe is way disproportionate.
            6 second abs,3 up,3 down Get the perfect abs..

Comment

Thanks for naming the council. HERE is a link to their website where they clearly state they will send you a reminder. It would be worth contacting them to discuss this. It may also be worth asking your local councillor if they will go with you.

Comment

What part of the yearly bill does the outstanding amount represent? Don't forget that if it goes as far as a Hearing there will be additonal costs on top of the £28 they are charging now.

Comment

From 21,June 2012- 31-March 2013; i owed the council 2 pounds.
                  Then on another bill:01 April 2013-31March 2014 i owe 56 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepyhead View Post
                    From 21,June 2012- 31-March 2013; i owed the council 2 pounds.
                    Then on another bill:01 April 2013-31March 2014 i owe 56 pounds.
                    Am I right in assuming these sums are as a result of Benefit claims?

Just looking at this years bill - have you made any payments towards it?

Council Tax is due in full on April 1 each year. By means of dispensation you are then allowed to pay in instalments and usually such payments are due on the 1st of the month unless an alternative arrangement is in place. Failiure to pay an instalment usually results in a letter from the Council detailing the payment due and giving you 7 days to rectify it. This may happen on 2 occasions before the right to pay by instalments is withdrawn & all that is owed for the rest of the year is due immediately. Failiure to pay results in a summons to Court which may have the money owed + costs on it. If still not paid then a Liability Order may be obtained for the outstanding money + summons costs + costs of obtaining the Order. If it still goes unpaid then the Council may put it out for enforcement which may include Bailiffs.

Comment

Hi Ploddertrom,you are right.
                      First installement was due on 23/04/2013,followed by further installements on 23rd of each month. (This is in box on one of bills)

Also have another letter Annual calculation
                      01 April 2013-31 March 2014 Working age scheme 13.63 pounds Period support 710.66 pounds.
                      Charge for period band A 1035.57 pounds.
                      25% reduction for sole occ discount 250.89 pounds

little confuseing going CAB today want to get it sorted out but lady in one stop shop said will have to go to court first befor they will deduct from benefits.It will also mean more costs i cant afford.

I claim income support/dla,my intension was not to bury my head and forget about it.
                      Thought it was all paid for.
                      My brain condition is a hinderence.once something is out of sight,thats it gone from my memory.

Comment

Brilliant system where you can have it paid out of your benefits fair enough but only after more costs are added increasing the debt what one brain cell idiot thought that up,Thought the idea was to help people in debt not get any deeper in debt .

Comment

Went to different one stop shop,the lady here set up payment scheme for me,where by i pay 1st of every month over 12 months.
                          I go to one-stop with payment,they scan bar code on letter and i pay couple of quid.
                          Saves hassle of going to courts,incurring more costs.Thanks for replys.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X