• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax summons.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax summons.

Recieved a letter from council today.
    I have been summoned to appear befor City magistrates court **septemper 2013.

Council tax outstanding:56 pounds.
    Plus costs ofsummons:28 pounds.

If the outstanding amount + cost of summons is paid befor court date all proceedings will be stopped,bla,bla,otherwise costs will follow.

This is first letter i have recieved about my council tax,no warnings,nothing.Straight to magistrates like a crimminal.
    But if pay up + costs its all forgot about,bloody fuming arrrggg. I am not paying the costs,no way,canyou give me advice on next step to take.
    6 second abs,3 up,3 down Get the perfect abs..
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax summons.

Did you pay your council tax? If no, they are well within their rights to pursue this legally as it is a criminal offence.

Are you 100% sure that you have never had a single Council Tax reminder, or letter to say that your council tax is overdue?

Council tax is one of the only debts that is actively pursued through the courts by a Magistrate, so, do not wait to take action. Contact your Council immediately to query this, and, if you have not received any notices before, make them aware of this. However, even if they didn't send notices, the best you can hope for is extended time to pay, and certainly not a reduction in the payment amount.

Comment

A bit harsh - usually there is at least one warning. Which council is it? Name and shame.

Comment

I suspect there was a warning the council will say so! Best in this case to pay council tax and the 28 quid by the time if it happens the council drop it it will be in the hands of bailiffs and we know what happens then?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
          I suspect there was a warning the council will say so! Best in this case to pay council tax and the 28 quid by the time if it happens the council drop it it will be in the hands of bailiffs and we know what happens then?
          Yep! We beat them another way, but it would cost the OP another £42.50 and risks costing them substantially more.

Comment

If they pay the Bailiff 42.50p is that beating them? or am I missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
              If they pay the Bailiff 42.50p is that beating them? or am I missing something here?
              You're missing something here.

Comment

How is beating them when its another 42.50p I know im missing something half me brain!

Comment

Originally posted by Kosenurm View Post
                  Did you pay your council tax? If no, they are well within their rights to pursue this legally as it is a criminal offence.
                  No it isn't, Council Tax is one of the anomalies of a Civil Debt being heard at a Magistrates Court whereby only a Liability Order may be granted. You may be getting this mixed up with the ultimate deterrent for non-payment.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                    You may be getting this mixed up with the ultimate deterrent for non-payment.
                    Losing one's seat in the House of Lords? msl:

Comment

Have been through my archives of mail,learnt to keep everything in order.Nothing just usual council tax updates.

Live on my own,they class me as disabled,thats ok by me.
                      Its the tone of the letter.
                      I am responsible for the council tax of 56 pounds,but the 28 pounds costs i am refuseing to pay.
                      The threat of liability order and further costs is all threatening language,its a legal con trick to get extra cash.

I should really take it to police station for threatening me but they would just laugh.
                      I have been really worried about this,think its them who now owe me some form of compensation for undue stress this as caused me.

Imagine all those people who just pay up with out challenging the costs.

I recieved no prior warning it was going this way,really dont want to pay costs.Do i have argument for not paying or even compo. (serious)

Comment

How i would expect them to behave is maybe send me reminder.
                        ask if i am haveing difficulty paying and if so here are some options, we can help you pay.

The straight to court,incurring extra costs is draconnian.Inflicting more debt on someone who is already haveing a difficult time.

Comment

You are right. The police would laugh, the council may well say they sent a reminder.Pay it all then fight it once it gets a liability order more action may follow the bailiffs don't issue warnings they visit and demand money once paid contact councillor for help don't ignore ot expect it to go away

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                            Losing one's seat in the House of Lords? msl:
                            He's back!

We missed you, CC!
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                            gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

he was locked up for writing bad jokey lines on forums welcome back hope the humour improves when hes good he makes me laugh

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X