• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Charges for a 19 year old bank account with Lloyds!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charges for a 19 year old bank account with Lloyds!

Hello there, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please? A few weeks ago I started getting phone calls at home and on my mobile, from a company called 'Global debt Recovery Ltd', from New Malden, Surrey. They have also now sent around half a dozen letters which so far I have ignored. I did have one phone conversation with one of their representatives and he informed me that they were chasing a debt for Lloyds Bank from an account that I supposedly opened some 19 years ago. Apparently this account had an outstanding overdraft on it to the sum of around £300 and now, with interest they are trying to claim that I owe over £800. I explained to him that I did not recall ever having an account with Lloyds and that I had always done my banking with Barclays and also that if it had of been my account, there certainly would not have been an overdraft on it because I have never used or applied for one with anybody. He, like most debt collection people, was not interested in what I had to say and said he would send 'proof' of this account, he did! Well what he actually sent was a sheet of paper showing an amount outstanding of some £300+ pounds and my name on the bottom of it. There was not the proof I was expecting like signed documents or applications in my name or anything like that. Anyway, to try and cut a long story short, I am not totally out ruling that this account may have been set up by me but I seriously can not ever remember doing it and I really would not have applied for an overdraft facility so how did I end up with one if it turns out this was my account.... This is almost 19 years ago, how can these people really expect you to remember things from that far in the past? Can anyone please advise what my next move should be?... Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Charges for a 19 year old bank account with Lloyds!

Hi and welcome to LB!

First of all, don't speak to them on the phone again. If you happen to answer the phone, just refuse to go through security and hang up. DCA phone people are monkeys trained just to extract a payment from punters, they are not able to discuss the accounts, nor do they have access to a lot of information.

As you are not even sure what this debt refers to, I'd send them a Prove It letter, which should put the ball in their court and they'll have to provide some proof that you really owe this money. When there's a period of at least 6 years (5 in Scotland) without payments or written acknowledgment, the debt would be Statute Barred. There is also a letter for that purpose but I'd say, under the circumstances, the letter below should do the trick. :thumb:

Dear Sirs

Account No/Reference No: xyz

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself. I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Lloyds Bank. I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question. I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable and in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive and unfair methods. Furthermore ignoring and disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical & psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question and await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

If they keep ringing you, there's another letter you can send to stop the telephone harassment:

Dear Sirs

Account No/Reference No: xyz

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing. I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only. I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 as well as Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.

I ought to draw your attention to the recent Harrison v Link Financial case in which HH Judge Chambers outlined the predatory way in which the account holder was hounded; I quote, from this judgment;

"Cumulatively and damningly is what I find to be the way that MBNA and the Defendant went about recovering their debt. I am satisfied that the Claimant’s description of the way that he was hounded by his creditors is essentially correct not least in the use of “non-traceable” telephone calls. It seems to me that such conduct has no proper function in the recovery of consumer debt"

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of s.127 of the Communications Act (2003) and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you may be liable to a substantial fine and/or other sanctions as they see fit. Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company may be recorded and used in evidence and I expect this harassment to cease immediately.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

FP, that's excellent! Thank you very much indeed.

Comment

Even if you did owe the money 19 years ago, it would be Statute Barred by now. This means that the debt is unenforceable in law and you cannot be made to pay it (although you can be asked to, nothing can happen to you at all if you refuse). There is another letter for this, but follow FP's advice for now. :beagle:

Comment

Thanks very much guys, that's a great help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X