• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy pending

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Redundancy pending

No, no union has ever been brought into this company, this company was a family run, but now they have investors, so they can become a bigger company

Comment

Originally posted by Gillmadgin View Post
      No, no union has ever been brought into this company, this company was a family run, but now they have investors, so they can become a bigger company
      That's a shame - I didn't think it was possible for companies to exclude TUs these days.

I believe you are entitled to take someone with you to your hearing but in the absence of a union rep the employer could object or specify a particular type of person (eg colleague).

If I were you (and remember I have no legal training) I would take someone I trusted, with a clear head, a good memory and common sense.

I would also record the meeting if you believe there is any likelihood that it will be misrepresented.

Put forward your views as to what role you could take on to the advantage of the employer (if this is what you want) and argue strongly for this.

Make sure that you get the best possible settlement if your role is indeed deemed redundant (both financially & including a glowing reference).

Comment

Also the company has covered three temporary post for maternity cover, should they not finish the temps and pass the work over to me? Am i right or wrong?
        If the temporary staff have been hired via an agency, it would certainly be less expensive to recall an existing staff member to do their work.

If, however, the temps are on Work Programme placements, the company will pay nothing for them and may even have been paid to have them working for them.

Welcome to President Cameron's United Topsy-Turvydom!

Comment

this company was a family run, but now they have investors, so they can become a bigger company
          If a job has been advertised and then withdrawn, it does seem as if the injection of capital may not have been enough and that the company may soon be little more than a greasy spot on a pile of paper.

Comment

Yes they have been hired via a temping agency

Comment

Yes they have been hired via a temping agency
              Then the company is plainly run by a bunch of loonies.

Comment

Many thanks for all your replies, it has helped x

Comment

I have now received my letter of consultation, which refers to a meeting on friday, the letter states i have to tell them what I can do, it also states i will be made redundant.
                  Last edited by Gillmadgin; 14th August 2013, 20:20:PM.

Comment

As the reason for absence is 'garden leave'. not illness, if it were me, I'd go in nice & early, accompanied by a trusted person* & would politely request photocopies of the company's grievance procedure & the written protocol concerning the company's agreed redundancy procedure.
                    That should make them sit up & take notice!
                    & while I was there, get whatever evidence I could re the staff coverage of the job.

*As it is a redundancy meeting, the 'rule' about the 'suitable companion' doesn't apply - they're just giving you a lift, aren't they?
                    But they could be a witness in an ET claim.
                    Just saying...............
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X