• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Malicious call or something else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malicious call or something else?

Not sure if this is in the right place .. please feel free to move!

Last night while my son was visiting his Nan, her landline rang and my son answered it , a "foreign" sounding man asked to speak to my Dad (he actually said "could I speak to Mr D ******** please" my son explained that Mr ******* had died last year and thinking it was a cold call put the phone down. About 20 minutes later, the guy called back again asking to speak to Mr D ******* (not his christian name, just his initial and surname). When again my son told him that he had died last year and that he was his grandson, the guy then said his name was Dave Rogers (very "English" name), he was calling from London and that Mr D ****** was his Dad. He claimed that he had called 3 years ago wanting to speak to his "Dad" but got no answer so came to the house but no one answered the door. My son passed the phone to his Nan and the guy repeated the same statements to her, she got very upset and put the phone down.

Now my Dad never went anywhere without my Mum and I mean ANYWHERE, so the chance of him having a son by anyone other than my Mum is remote to say the least. My Mum was obviously very shaken by this especially as he (according to him) knows where my Mum lives and that she is now on her own. My Mum is 75 and has leukemia so could really do without any shocks like this. My son called the police - not 999 and explained what had happened and that his Nan was alone and scared, they did say it was highly suspicious and that they would call round to take a statement sometime today from them both.

What we can't understand is why someone would call saying something like this unless they have an ulterior motive .. we wondered if anyone else has had something like this happen after a bereavement?
    One life - Live it!
    Tags: None

Re: Malicious call or something else?

He seems to have taken the death of his 'dad' well.Sounds like to the start of a scam to me.

Comment

That is what we were thinking ... my Parents live in an affluent area, in a nice bungalow and obviously have some money. We wondered if this guy had seen the obituary notice and bided his time. Just seems strange that he asked for my Dad as Mr D ******* not by either his first name or even first and last name (this was given in the obituary notice) ... just worried for my Mum at the moment as so far she has coped really well with losing my Dad, they had been married for 56 years and were inseperable. I am also scared that she might start believing that my Dad had been upto no good, and that it will tarnish the memories she has of him.
      One life - Live it!

Comment

aww Kit hun *((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

please please PLEASE rest assured this is a SCAM!

I was in the upsetting position of answering a phone to a distraught old lady, who had been contacted by our company by a "Lovely lady" who commiserated with her for the death of her husband... who had left the house roughly 20 minutes previously. She was sure her husband had passed away minutes after he left the house. Needless to say I was concerned she was going to have a heart attack if said Spouse walked in and said Hi Honey im HOOOOOOOME!!

This is a sick sick scam designed to fool you in to giving details (or in your case guilt money) out.

I'm so so sorry that this has happened to your mum, and I am sending her every hug, good wish and positive thought in the world, and rest assured hun, you mum knows your dad wasnt playing away from home, she knows the look of love when she sees it.

Much love to you all.

Comment

Did the "foreign gent" need any help getting money from Nigeria?

Comment

Thank you Puff, that hug and kind words were really appreciated (even tho the hug was a virtual one :tinysmile_grin_t.

The "gentleman" didn't get a chance to ask for anything as my Mum was so upset she put the phone down on him. I've advised her to keep a record of any more calls she gets, even the ones where no one speaks (oh and the number was withheld surprise surprise!) My Sister ended up having to stay with her last night as she was too scared to stay on her own.

I doubt that the police can do anything, but just hope that Mum is reassured by the police officers attending.
            One life - Live it!

Comment

who are your phone providers?

I would report it to them too and ask can withheld numbers be blocked, some will even offer a service where you can block the number of the last caller.

Comment

Blocking withheld numbers is a great idea, will look into it ... anything that gives Mum peace of mind has to be a good thing. I think Mum is with BT still.

After speaking to Mum again this morning, apparently it was the caller who put the phone down on my Mum, not her putting it down on him, this was after she started asking him some questions, which makes me think it was definately either a cruel hoax or a scam and he got worried he was going to be asked something he couldn't answer etc.

I worry that someone who isn't as clued up as my Mum could fall victim to this sort of thing, some little old lady who never had kids of their own suddenly has a "son" ... "there you go dear, have my lifes savings and the house, it's what your Dad would have wanted, as he always wanted kids" There are some guilable people out there, especially the elderly who may not even think about DNA tests etc.

Someone has just told me about when her Dad died, about 6 months after, they got a phone call from a "garage" claiming to have done some work on his car and not paid, the bill was for over 4K and they were now liable for it ... they soon ended the call when they were told he couldn't even drive and had never owned a car!
                There are some nasty ba :censored:ds about!
                One life - Live it!

Comment

cetainly are Kit, some REALLY nasty buggers.

Luckily for all concerned, your mum knew just how much your dad adored her, let's face it she would have got less time if she shot him you dont stay that long with a person if you dont know they are 100% faithful or in love with you. I bet if you asked mum if she was worried about that side of it she would say "Cheat? Your dad couldnt even SPELL cheat let alone do it!!"

as for being scared on her own, please let me know if your mum has a mobile phone and the make, leave that part of the reassurance to me love <3

Comment

Thanks again Puff :tinysmile_grin_t:

Mum has a mobile, but it was my Dad's and she doesn't have a clue how to use it, I doubt it's even been turned on since Dad died. Her few attempts at texting have been a family joke ... she never found the space bar so you would have to guess where the spaces were supposed to be lol. We would get justbeentotescoandorangesareonoffer .... bless her!
                    One life - Live it!

Comment

which make is it hun?

on certain handsets there is an SOS button, not many people know about it

Comment

I think it's an old motorola pebble?? does that sound right ... it's a flip phone that is sort of shaped like a computer mouse (if that makes sense?) ... quite curved.
                        One life - Live it!

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                          Did the "foreign gent" need any help getting money from Nigeria?

Mr Clogs,,I do hope you are not intimating that I have NOT won £333 thousand dollars like the nice man said I had......he only needed my credit card and pin numbers..and he was SO polite msl:

Seriously tho,Kit......what a bloody horrible thing to happen to Mum,,I suggest she buys a referees whistle and if + when anyone dares to try again,,she gives him a few loud spurts of that,,or even better..air horn

Comment

Originally posted by Kitiara View Post
                            I think it's an old motorola pebble?? does that sound right ... it's a flip phone that is sort of shaped like a computer mouse (if that makes sense?) ... quite curved.
                            I've heard of the Panasonic pebble - the X70 - and the Motarola Razr.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                              I suggest she buys a referees whistle and if + when anyone dares to try again,,she gives him a few loud spurts of that,
                              PM me her address and I'll send one by post, free and gratis.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X